weBoost 4G-X Review

Imnosaint

Adventurer
weBoostBox.jpg

Though this doesn't broadcast per se as a radio, this being a Communications thread I thought I'd post about this device here.
We recently added a weBoost Drive 4G-X to our rig thanks to Wilson Electronics who make the device, which happens to be a hometown export from St. George, Utah.

weBoostantennaExt.jpg

It's a cell signal booster (up to 70db) with an external antenna that amplifies tower voice and data signals.

weBoostantennaInt.jpg

These signals are processed for broadcast inside the Montero through this antenna that's placed directly below where my iPhone mounts. This creates a WiFi hotspot for us.

DSCF4678.jpg

I've noticed a strong increase in signal strength while camping in the Uintahs, with faster, more reliable service in data transfer.

weBoostEst.jpg

I uploaded four videos from this remote location in less time than my home WiFi which is the fastest that Salt Lake City has to offer. So far, so good.

EU87

Does it "pair" to the phone or will it boost any and all 4g signals within range of the interior antenna?

If you have the interior antenna then it will boost any and all 4G signals. It doesn't actually pair. Think of it as a repeater of sorts.

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Have been looking at 4GX RV for the past six months. Had two situations between last summer and this summer where there was little to no service and no way to get help. Found a 51 year old man having a heart attack on the side of the road on the western side of the smokys. The other was a girl playing in the creek at a campground that busted her head open on the rocks. I just can't make myself purchase it because I have found no one that has used this tech in remote areas of the east coast. Wanted to order thru amazon but found reviews that said some retailers were giving the customers a hard time about returns/refunds. When I contacted wilson/weboost they seemed less than helpful in looking into past customers in the areas I was concerned with. For $500 I'm not willing to risk it unless I can get at least minimal feedback.

mikekey

Deplorable
I've been using one for nearly three years now. These work great. Replace that antenna though with a better one.

zelatore

Explorer
FWIW I've had one of these in my LR3 for a couple years now. I'd rate it as slightly above useless.

It often makes my phone 'show' more bars but in actual fact I still can't get a signal for voice or data. This is with both an iphone and Samsung Galaxy using ATT and Verizon. Over all I'd say I get maybe a 10% actual improvement in cellular performance at best.

It may be that you can get better performance than I can due to the glass roof of the LR3. I have the exterior antenna mounted as far back as I can, at the top of the rear hatch, and the internal antenna in the passenger footwell trying to get as much separation as I can but I still get some feedback. Maybe if I had a steel roof it would help the overall performance.

Example: at the western regional LR event outside Sedona a couple years ago I needed to help a friend track down a part. My phone by itself showed intermittently 1 bar and I could sometimes get a call through or pull up something on-line. Sitting in the truck with the system on I would see 3 bars on the phone but still had exactly the same results trying to make a call or use a data connection.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I was looking at these last night, then I see this thread. What type of antenna would you replace for better performance mikekey?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Samething.......I'd like to add one to our Tiger. Any updates regarding people's experience with this booster? Much appreciated!

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Set up properly, with the proper distance and placement of the inside antenna and out side antenna, the WeBoost is fantastic. The problem with using this very high gain unit in an SUV is getting the two antennas far enough apart both vertically and horizontally. If not set up properly they will not work well.
I’ve been using one for over three years and boondocking 95% of the time and I have never been without cell service. Sometimes I need a much bigger antenna mounted on a 16’ painters pole, but I get cell service. I connect it to a hotspot and that allows up to 8 friends and family to wifi and have service.
At far outback camping, I’m everyone’s best friend!

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
These have been of interest to me as well. I see them all the time on the oil workers' trucks in WY and CO, but with the bigger antennas. If they're using them, I figure they have to at least somewhat work. I'd like to try one out at my boondock spot to see if it works before committing $500 though.

NomadQ

Set up properly, with the proper distance and placement of the inside antenna and out side antenna, the WeBoost is fantastic. The problem with using this very high gain unit in an SUV is getting the two antennas far enough apart both vertically and horizontally. If not set up properly they will not work well.
I’ve been using one for over three years and boondocking 95% of the time and I have never been without cell service. Sometimes I need a much bigger antenna mounted on a 16’ painters pole, but I get cell service. I connect it to a hotspot and that allows up to 8 friends and family to wifi and have service.
At far outback camping, I’m everyone’s best friend!

That’s great to hear as I just recently installed mine on an extended E-350 but haven’t been far enough off grid to test it yet. What do you consider “proper distance and placement”? My external antennae is mounted 10’+ on the rear (24” fixed top), internal antennae is above the passenger in the bulkhead. I’ve read somewhere that installing a metal plate under the external antennae helps to disperse the signal better. Thanks in advance for any further details you can provide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles