Webasto (or other brand) GAS Furnace/Heaters??

CampStewart

Observer
For something like this, with a pretty big safety factor involved and gasoline being a bit more volatile than diesel, i would not risk using a cheap chinese clone.

I know some folks use them with no issues, but for my piece of mind, ill drop the coin on the real deal for this particular mod
Is this based on experiences you have had with heaters, design or manufacturing flaws you have noted, or what? Id really like to learn as much real information as I can about these things so if you have relevant information please share it with us.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Is this based on experiences you have had with heaters, design or manufacturing flaws you have noted, or what? Id really like to learn as much real information as I can about these things so if you have relevant information please share it with us.

No first hand personal experience, but with no name clones, they cant possible have the same quality control as the big brand units that have puts in lots of R&D and have substantial liability if something goes wrong.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
As a note, webasto and espar/eberspacher paid a multi-million dollar settlement for price fixing the parking heater market in europe. Their heaters are about 30-40% over priced for the materials cost+profit.

The russian made Planar heaters are equivalent quality (though their control options can be lacking).

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
As a note, webasto and espar/eberspacher paid a multi-million dollar settlement for price fixing the parking heater market in europe. Their heaters are about 30-40% over priced for the materials cost+profit.

The russian made Planar heaters are equivalent quality (though their control options can be lacking).

I see.. Planar doesn’t have a gas version though :(

SquirrelZ

I've installed and used a diesel Espar heater in a boat and well as a gasoline Webasto in a van. The design, installation and operation of the two brands is essentially the same. Pay very close attention to the mounting instructions before you buy one. There are specific tolerances for clearances, especially of the exhaust, as well as limitations on how the fuel line is run. They are great heaters and versatile in how you mount them, but you can't just stick them anywhere.

I had to get the gasoline fueled Webasto Airtop 2000 thru EBay from the UK, but that was a couple of years ago. Maybe you can find someone selling them here in the US.

You didn't say where your fuel source for this will be. Are you adding a small tank or tapping into your vehicle's fuel tank? Both of the installs that I did used the vehicle's fuel tanks. If you're adding a small tank, for instance on a slide in camper setup for a truck, I'd be more inclined to go with a diesel model for two reasons. The diesel versions are far easier to purchase and maintain in the US since lots of semis and boats use them. Diesel is a denser fuel with slightly more BTU's per ounce. Of course diesel has a lower flash point, which makes it safer in that regards. But with either fuel, if you've got a leak you need to fix ASAP.

I have not used my Webasto at any high elevations so I don't have any insight on that aspect of its capabilities.

Like you, I wouldn't consider a cheap knock off for a precision appliance like this. You get what you pay for. And with a well known brand you'll have better luck getting parts and support if you have a problem.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
You didn't say where your fuel source for this will be. Are you adding a small tank or tapping into your vehicle's fuel tank?

Thanks

The new Rams have an aux port right off of the fuel pump that is already plumbed into the tank.

BUT.... I dont have the truck in my actual possession yet, so i cant figure out if it will definitely work. I am unsure if since the port is coming off the fuel pump, if the key will need to be on, etc..

I need to get the truck in my possession (hopefully by next month) to do more digging. There is literally zero info about this online anywhere.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Other other vehicles, typically the aux fuel fitting connects to the tank/sender assembly. But its not pressurized.

The heater fuel pumps cannot tolerate pressure on the feed side, the fuel will flow through the pump and flood the heater.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Other other vehicles, typically the aux fuel fitting connects to the tank/sender assembly. But its not pressurized.

The heater fuel pumps cannot tolerate pressure on the feed side, the fuel will flow through the pump and flood the heater.

Thanks, makes perfect sense.

I also need to know if there is a hose on the other side going to the bottom (or close) to the tank to draw from.

Watching some videos, and i know they're different but, similar beasts, some of the sprinters had the lines on the bottom of the pump going into the tank, and some needed to add them.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
On sprinters the Aux fuel pickup has a hose that goes down about 3/4 of the fuel tank height. I am sure there is some Chrysler documentation on that option.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
On sprinters the Aux fuel pickup has a hose that goes down about 3/4 of the fuel tank height. I am sure there is some Chrysler documentation on that option.

Sweet! Thanks!

Note: I cant find Chrysler documentation on any of that system anywhere, i've looked

SquirrelZ

Tapping into the tank is a good option if the camper is permanently fixed on the vehicle. Or at least not removed very often.

Webastos and Espars both come with their own little pump to pull fuel from a tank. I can't recall exact numbers, but you should be able to lift the fuel up to something like 5 or 6 feet depending on the length of the fuel line. Each supplies a high quality hard plastic fuel line. I think the Webasto had 15 or 20 feet of hose- way more than I needed.

Its easy enough to add a siphon tap to the of of the tank if the factory one is pressurized. But I'd bet the extra tap is not pressurized.

If you install an aux tap on the vehicle's fuel tank, it will be on the top.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Tapping into the tank is a good option if the camper is permanently fixed on the vehicle. Or at least not removed very often.

Webastos and Espars both come with their own little pump to pull fuel from a tank. I can't recall exact numbers, but you should be able to lift the fuel up to something like 5 or 6 feet depending on the length of the fuel line. Each supplies a high quality hard plastic fuel line. I think the Webasto had 15 or 20 feet of hose- way more than I needed.

Its easy enough to add a siphon tap to the op of the tank if the factory one is pressurized. But I'd bet the extra tap is not pressurized.

If you install an aux tap on the vehicle's fuel tank, it will be on the top.

Thanks! Yeah, my camper will be permanently fixed onto the truck.

Ducstrom

I have 2 gas webastos. I am installing one in a camper I am building and have installed the other in a Pelican case for my ice fishing tent. Can't give you too much input into their function since I've only used it in the tent once so far but it worked well and burnt a minimal amount of fuel for the 6 hours we fished.
They both needed to be disassembled and combustion chambers cleaned out since they were both coked up and throwing codes. After the clean they work like champs! Like you I have a gas truck and motorcycles and didn't want to carry another type of fuel.
I think a little extra caution with installation and refuelling is required due to the fuel type. Overall I feel as safe using the gas webasto as I do driving a gas truck

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I have 2 gas webastos. I am installing one in a camper I am building and have installed the other in a Pelican case for my ice fishing tent. Can't give you too much input into their function since I've only used it in the tent once so far but it worked well and burnt a minimal amount of fuel for the 6 hours we fished.
They both needed to be disassembled and combustion chambers cleaned out since they were both coked up and throwing codes. After the clean they work like champs! Like you I have a gas truck and motorcycles and didn't want to carry another type of fuel.
I think a little extra caution with installation and refuelling is required due to the fuel type. Overall I feel as safe using the gas webasto as I do driving a gas truck

Thank you!

CampStewart

Observer
Did you buy these used or how many hours use caused the buildup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles