Webasto Dual Top Reviews wanted

Hi Darwin,

There's some decent reviews on youtube that you can watch. They seem noisy and slow to me. Many times they get installed with their own small diesel tank which needs filling. My preference is a small 12v water heater and propane cooktop.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk

Darwin

Explorer
Hi Darwin,

There's some decent reviews on youtube that you can watch. They seem noisy and slow to me. Many times they get installed with their own small diesel tank which needs filling. My preference is a small 12v water heater and propane cooktop.

Sent from my SM-T825 using Tapatalk
Hey sorry, I should have posted a link. I am referring to the Dual Top Evo. It's an air/water heater all in one unit from webasto. For cooking I plan to go electric induction.
https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-au/heating/recreational-vehicles/

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Have a Dual Top in my current camper and had one in my previous camper. When they work, there is nothing better - lots of heat, both air and water, and generally dead silent. Very economical to run.

My current Dual Top has been trouble free for two years.

Problems:

-- Support is very weak in the US. Some Webasto dealers won't even look at Dual Tops. (They work only on the heaters for big trucks.

-- My previous Dual Top developed a fault when running on hot water and hot air. Would work perfectly on either alone, but would overheat in the combo position.

-- No altitude compensation. Can result in burner silting up. The manual requires a 30 run at full heat every month to reduce soot. Some report great results by switching to kerosine.

-- The hot and cold water lines have to be carefully aligned and supported, otherwise the metal pipes inside the unit will touch the hot air circulation fan. (And you will hear it if they do!)

-- Requires very low inlet water pressure. (See manual.) This generally requires a de-rated water pump and a pressure reducer. The pressure reducer is hard to find in the US. Direct connection to campground water will result in a very expensive failure of various seals. This key point is buried in the fine print in the manual, but Webasto will bring it to your attention with their bill.

Many folks prefer ESPAR based systems because of the better support. Some companies that used to OEM Webasto Dual Tops have switched to Rixen's systems. https://www.rixens.com/sprinter-and-class-b-and-c-rvs

cameronsturgess

We looked seriously at the dual top evo 6 and in the end decided against it. For these reasons

Must be installed by a certified installer. Or pay 2500 to get taught how to install one.
Very little support
Difficult to buy other than thru an installer
Complexity

A simpler solution appears to be planar and elgena.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would also suggest looking at the truma propane water/air heater combo units. Assuming propane is an option. The dual top can be a good value if you are able to service it, and work out the installation bugs. There is minimal service available in north america.

I have not looked into it, but you can possible find (or adjust) a replacement fuel pump to de-rate the unit for high altitude operation.

Another option is a air heater. Then use one of these air-water heat exchangers.

https://www.ebay.com/i/254075550160...PvGu6QU2jtd-PGGICPqCBi2_vEaQOkiUaAv6zEALw_wcB

Darwin

Explorer
I am not opposed to propane, I like the Truma, but can't buy one in the US. I can buy a Truma from overseas but the AC electric portion is 50hz and 230 volt.

The Truma D6 diesel all in one air/water heater looks like it would be great, and I have heard uses espar parts, but also unavailable in the USA.

I might end up with the D6 with just the diesel and no AC electric option.

I did end up finding some chinese knock off Trumas from China with 120 volt AC and shipping to the USA.

http://www.car-parkingheater.com/sa...s-for-large-vehicles-similar-to-truma-6e.html

some videos of the Truma knockoffs. They seem like they might work okay, and are only $1k, you could buy 3 for the price of the Webasto
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeLPYzFh2JlHoN-NGSefxDw/videos

Joe917

Explorer
We are using the Thermotop C Webasto coolant heater controlled by a Heatmiser slimline thermostat. @ large radiators on the cabin and a small one in the storage compartment.
Very happy with the unit, the only issue has been at extreme altitude. At 4700m and 5000m the unit took several attempts to get running. We have been almost 2 months between 3000m and 4000m with no issues.
4000m is over 13000' there are few places you will encounter these elevations and you will not want to sleep that high if you can avoid it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The truma electric heating coil will work fine on 50hz. The power will be 25% if running on 120V. You can get a 5-15A 120-240 transformer which will work as well.

You may check what coil they use. If its an industry standard fitting, you could just replace it with a 120V version.

If you have the design skills, you can spec a system with espar/webasto coolant heaters. You will need a expansion tank, and a plate heat exchanger or coolant heated water tank. (calorifier, isotemp, etc).

StephenConey

We have a dual top, and love it. If you plan to run you van/truck off diesel, I think this is a good choice. We have had a few issues, a leak in the inspection hatch, fixed under warranty and the inlet water and outlet pipes touched the internal fan making a horrible noise until we fixed that. Sound like the same issue DiploStrat had. Little issues for a unit we like very much.

Darwin

Explorer
I would also suggest looking at the truma propane water/air heater combo units. Assuming propane is an option. The dual top can be a good value if you are able to service it, and work out the installation bugs. There is minimal service available in north america.

I have not looked into it, but you can possible find (or adjust) a replacement fuel pump to de-rate the unit for high altitude operation.

Another option is a air heater. Then use one of these air-water heat exchangers.

https://www.ebay.com/i/254075550160...PvGu6QU2jtd-PGGICPqCBi2_vEaQOkiUaAv6zEALw_wcB
View attachment 524863
What I don't understand about those units is if there is a way to heat only water in the summertime using the air heater without heating up the camper. I know TotalComposites sells something similar but it is still unclear exactly how it would function.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
In the summer you would use a diverter valve to circulate the air back to the heater, or just dump the hot air overboard.

Darwin

Explorer
I see they rate the Dual Top Evo6 for 2,500 meters. I can see myself going higher than that at times in the winter, but not by much and probably not longer than a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online