Weatherproof Firewood storage?

ferg101

I am looking for a waterproof bag that i can store several bundles of firewood in.
I would prefer a soft container like a large duffle bag of sorts.
I want it waterproof so that I can store it at the front of my roof rack, right behind the fairing.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
A military type duffle sprayed with waterproofing. I just got one from a surplus store (also available on line) for my chairs and tables to put on the rr.
Probably not great in a total downpour but your are not going to be sitting outside by a fire anyway.
Also there are bags available from several websites for roof top storage that are touted to be waterproof, I have one but cannot remember the source. ARB or Front Runner?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...er-dust-proof-travel-rooftop-monsoon-bag.html

ferg101

I like the idea of the front runner bag because it's designed to be on the exterior of the vehicle and handle the wind load. $150 is a little steeper than what I was budgeting.

I don't know how cheaper waterproof bags would handle the wind whip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
Try the Transit bag. A bit smaller and a bit less money, still it is water resistant. Fits two wolf boxes which should be about three wood bundles.
No matter what you get, strap it down well for wind.

Freebird

Adventurer
I only am concerned that my kindling and small stuff is kept dry.
The other larger wood, if well seasoned and dry at the start of a few day trip, will dry fast above the fire I build with the kindling and small seasoned dry wood.
Lotsa ways to do it.....

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I know, not flexible in the slightest, but a large Action Packer will comfortably hold 3 bundles of firewood, and is easily stored in or on a vehicle.

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
I think we are asking the wrong question here. How far are you moving firewood that you need a dry bag? Do you just need it after you have cut local wood?

Using firewood that is not sourced locally is never a good idea because you may be transporting bugs or pathogens that can devastate a forest. Just look at the Bark Beetle infestation in Southern CA that provided the dead trees for the massive wildfires of 2003 and 2007. Distance depends on where you live, current issues, and the environmental conditions. There are also regulations and laws on the books that prohibit transport of wood into various BLM, NF, and NP lands. Not trying to call out a right or wrong thing to do here but thinking about your firewood should be on the same level as Tread Lightly.

Good luck on a solution and hopefully a safe one too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have one of the Amazon bags and only used it once. Now sits in my garage gathering dust. I find that anything I want to keep dry I put in the back of the LR.

troutbum1

Firewood storage

Just a thought regarding kindling. Here in Michigan we couldn't transport any firewood or kindling out of the county years ago because of the beetle issue. I switched over to cutting up free pallets that many places were giving away. They're very easy to cut to a specific length, burn well, no bugs, and stack extremely well in a hard sided box, cardboard box, duffel bag, etc. You can also split them ahead of time or at the site with a hatchet for kindling or use them for firewood as well.

No mess trying to fit "logs" into the vehicle for that nights fire. Just pull out a box, or bag, for that night.

T.

Chili

Explorer
I have no personal experience with them but I always see Rightline Bags in the Jeep accessory catalogs. Supposed to be "weatherproof":

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...htline+gear+bag&rh=i:aps,k:rightline+gear+bag

I've thought about buying one or two of these for my roof rack as a possible solution for clothes: https://www.amazon.com/Rightline-Ge...1517953347&sr=8-9&keywords=rightline+gear+bag

91Su7NtAJSL._SL1500_.jpg

Oh, and for kindling, have you tried fatwood? The self-harvested stuff is usually best but it is sold in stores too.. This stuff can be totally wetand still catch fire and burn great..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Duraflame-Fatwood-125-cu-ft-Firestarters/32468459

be14301f-019a-4aa8-80bd-f94787142c14_1.749f2585ff1cb4d5bdb0db1e8dd8298b.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles