Weatherguard pack rats as storage

irish_11

Explorer
There are a TON of sweet setups on here for cargo storage/sleeping platforms. I didn't want to clutter up the photo thread with a question so I thought I would post on here. Has anyone used a Weather guard pack rat as a base for a sleeping platform or used one in their rig for storage? I'm looking for thoughts and opinions on them. I know they are pretty heavy which is a major downside. But they do lock, have drawers that are reliatavely thin so not a ton of space lost, are solidly built, etc. I found one on my local CL that I am going to go look at tonight for $80. That seems like a good deal for locking storage and not having to build something. I figured the worst that happens is I clean it up a bit and sell it if it doesn't work out. I'm looking for something to go in the back of my FJ62. Has anyone on here used one?

Random stock photo for those who haven't seen one before:
338-3.jpg

Lumpy70

Observer
My brother in law has one in his BJ74, and while it is very nice and sturdy, it is 300 lbs unloaded.

Too much weight in my opinion.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
My brother in law has one in his BJ74, and while it is very nice and sturdy, it is 300 lbs unloaded.

Too much weight in my opinion.

Ironically, I think my brother in law has this one in his cargo van (and we are also in YYC). It's a tank and very, very heavy. The price might be right, but I would be cautious of the extra weight.

irish_11

Explorer
That is what I worried about. I'm going to take a look at it tonight. Maybe there is a way tp put it on a deit and drop some of the extra weight

Balzer

Adventurer
Theyare very heavy, that has been said, but also, they are not long enough or wide enough to sleep on. So you would still end up building something to make up the extra. The other thing about them is they actually have a lot of wasted space inside the box and around the draws. Final thought is that the rattle like a ******** unless you carpet the insides but even then the draw slides rattle and there isnt much you can do about that.
-
HOWEVER! the price is excellent! Buy it clean it up and resale it. they are around $1400 new

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94