Weatherguard Drawers + Harbor Freight Trailer Build

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks great Check ebay for adapter sellers then email about buying one.
Ebay also has some good fenders listed.

Manley trailers has a nice wide fender that they sell.
Contact Josh and tell him you are on EXPO.

JS114

Minor update. I got the backbone installed with the receiver hitch for my bike racks. Very happy to have a drill press as it made the job very easy. I also picked up a basket on Craigslist and have that mocked up. Hopefully my fenders and rear stabilizer will arrive today.
sabe7e4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JS114

Couldn't control myself. Spent the past week disassembling, sanding, priming, sanding, and painting. I went with rustoleum, thinned with acetone 60/40, and an HVLP gun. 6 coats on the drawers. Did hammered black on the trailer, kept the hardware zinc coated. Added tongue box. Saddle boxes are on order from Northern Tool. Wiring still to come. A few pics:
uzymu8y6.jpg

asynymuh.jpg
qeva7ynu.jpg
vu8yry4e.jpg

JS114

One of the saddle boxes finally arrived. The other is still back ordered, which is really causing this build to drag on... This one is going to be for our backpacking/hiking gear, packed and ready to go. The other side will be our kitchen box. I plan to enclose the front to form a cargo bed and use a net for the tailgate. The framework for the front of the bed will tie the two boxes together. The yakima bars will also add lateral support for the boxes.

qesyqyhy.jpg

ju9esu5y.jpg

9ysezutu.jpg

TheDave

Looking to be a great trailer when finished. If you haven't yet, I would replace all of the HF hardware (nuts and bolts) with something not made of mystery metal. I have broken a number of bolts recently on HF type products. Cheap insurance. McMaster has grade 5 cheaper than the big box stores.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Cool idea!

What brackets are you using to hold the box on? Looks a little on the light duty side.

Is the 100 running the same lug pattern as the newer sequoia and truck? I swear there was a set on CL recently.

Edit

Same lug pattern but 20's off a tundra. It this is not the wheels I recall.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/pts/4449365798.html

I think last time I searched parts with "toyota wheels".

Last edited:

JS114

Cool idea!

What brackets are you using to hold the box on? Looks a little on the light duty side.

Is the 100 running the same lug pattern as the newer sequoia and truck? I swear there was a set on CL recently.

I'm using these brackets from Home Depot, re-painted with a few coats of Rustoleum:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...elf-Bracket-14827/202895662?N=5yc1vZc4cuZ12kx

They are rated at 600 lbs each and are bolted to both the trailer frame and the drawer unit.

Additionally, there will be a piece of angle aluminum riveted to the seam where the box meets the drawers and another piece attaching the two side boxes together at the front of the trailer. Add to that the Yakima rack and I think it will be rock solid.

Bolt pattern is different, but I've got an adapter for emergencies where the spare from the LC is needed.

JS114

Where did you source your saddle boxes?

AutoZone Part Number 64210149

Northern Tool sells the same ones under part number 41868, but they rivet their logo to them. The AutoZone ones are a decal that can be easily removed. They're built by Daws/BetterBuilt in Pensacola, FL.

Autozone coupons are easy to come by online, bringing the price down 20% and often earning you gift cards as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles