Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

SBSYNCRO

I've just mounted a 100w panel to my roof rack for when I'm traveling. My plan is to attach the leads to a bulkhead connector of some sort in the fiberglass roof of my Jeep, with a connection on the other side going to a portable battery pack.

I want to be able to easily plug and unplug the solar panel (and remove it from the roof) to have an in-camp setup where I connect it to a 30' long charging lead. MC4 connectors are nifty for long-term connections, but I definitely don't like them for something that needs to be connected & disconnected frequently.

Anderson plugs seem to be the norm in Australia (and are catching on here) but I can't seem to find a good weatherproof "bulkhead" type mount that can pass through the roof and be low-profile.

An SAE connector seems like a good fit, but I'm wondering if there is something "better"

2020-02-24_12-29-21%20(1).jpeg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have the same dilemma and am resigned to using a bulkhead mount as you've posted above. But I have Anderson plugs all over the place wth my rooftop solar setup. So will likely just fab up an adapter cable that goes from something like the bulkhead connector pictured above, to an Anderson coupling reaching within my panel rack.

I'm intending to install such a bulkhead connector in the rear shoe / foot of my Z71 roof rack. Mounted to the cover, with some of the block plastic footing inside cut away for clearance and passing the wiring down one of the bolt holes into the ceiling.

solarpanelmount83 installed.jpg

Last edited:

dreadlocks

Wire/cable Glands or Clams are not bulkhead connectors.
They are simply pass-thrus

Yes of course but I question the need for a bulkhead, he wants to take it off and make his battery portable.. KISS says watertight passthrough an anderson, zip tie it to the roof rack so if he takes the panel off completely its not flopping around.. a bulkhead might make more sense if he was mostly traveling w/out a panel hooked up, but this don't sound like its the case and I think a cable gland would be greatly more field serviceable than an expensive bulkhead port.

then his extension cord can be made of smaller anderson terminated cables linked together, so he only uses as much as he needs and isint losing power through 30ft of cable when its 8ft away.

SBSYNCRO

Cable Gland w/Andersons on it..

I have searched for such a thing and have not found one. Unless of course you are talking about two separate pieces, a cable clam and then an anderson connector flopping around coming off of it. Thats what I'm trying to avoid.

SAE is great if a guy is happy to live in Trailer Park too.
A circular connector is probably best for waterproof & long life.
Fwiw,
Wire/cable Glands or Clams are not bulkhead connectors.
They are simply pass-thrus

Yea, that's my hesitation with the SAE connector - very "trailer-y" looking. I'm looking for the cleanest and lowest-profile connection possible. I've used lots of cable clams & glands on my boats, but other than a shore power connector for AC, I have not seen something in a marine application that would be what I'm looking for.

Yes of course but I question the need for a bulkhead, he wants to take it off and make his battery portable.. KISS says watertight passthrough an anderson, zip tie it to the roof rack so if he takes the panel off completely its not flopping around.. a bulkhead might make more sense if he was mostly traveling w/out a panel hooked up, but this don't sound like its the case and I think a cable gland would be greatly more field serviceable than an expensive bulkhead port.

then his extension cord can be made of smaller anderson terminated cables linked together, so he only uses as much as he needs and isint losing power through 30ft of cable when its 8ft away.

If I had a magic wand, I'd create a low-profile anderson mount that had a 90º angle and a bulkhead fitting with another 90º and another Anderson connector . (Male on one side and female on the other). That way I could have a plug (with waterproof cap) that sat flush to the roof where the solar panel would plug in. Then on the inside of the roof there'd be another Anderson connector that could be similarly used to either connect to an extension cable or directly to my portable battery.

This way when its not in use, both sides would be low profile and relatively unobtrusive, but could be easily connected when in use.

SBSYNCRO

Saw that one with a bit of googling. Doesn't look particularly rugged. Tried to find one with a single connector, but was unable to.

Glad to see I'm not the only one unable to find something like what I'm looking for! :)

Alloy

Saw that one with a bit of googling. Doesn't look particularly rugged. Tried to find one with a single connector, but was unable to.

Glad to see I'm not the only one unable to find something like what I'm looking for! :)

A roof top receptacle would fill with water and then short between the terminals.

Cable glands (stain reliefs) + Andersons (2pcs) as dreadlocks mentioned.

SBSYNCRO

A roof top receptacle would fill with water and then short between the terminals.

Cable glands (stain reliefs) + Andersons (2pcs) as dreadlocks mentioned.

I just don't have a place to tie down a loose Anderson connector that would be hanging off the wires coming out of the gland. I agree that with something like a frontrunner or pioneer rack it would be a great solution, but I'm just running regular crossbars.

IMG_3364 (1).jpg

Something like this but with an Anderson plug instead of MC4 connectors (with weatherproof cover) would be ideal):

1582597445077.png

Alloy

I just don't have a place to tie down a loose Anderson connector that would be hanging off the wires coming out of the gland. I agree that with something like a frontrunner or pioneer rack it would be a great solution, but I'm just running regular crossbars.

View attachment 569688

Something like this but with an Anderson plug instead of MC4 connectors (with weatherproof cover) would be ideal):

View attachment 569689

Come through the roof with a 90 degree strain relief. Anderson plugs have mounting hole(s) in the middle that can be used secure it to a block. The block is held to the roof with VHB tape

1582597861909.png

I am going to make a recommendation that some will not agree with but is one of the best option for someone with basic skills to install and be completely waterproof and to be as easy as Anderson connectors to unplug. Anderson are not water or even weather proof by themselves.

I recommend this bulkhead connector kit. Has everything you need. I use a lot of these and the ease of them to assemble and yes sometimes I have to disassemble them to. A basic open barrel terminal crimper and a small flat blade screwdriver is all that is needed. Your choice of how many terminals you want.
I order very often from this guy and have always got prompt service.

SBSYNCRO

I have used Deutsche connectors for years. In fact I have all my auxiliary lights connected with them.

While they are more weatherproof than Andersons (you are definitely right in that!) I still have the bulkhead/panel mount issue. I’d have to use a gland or cable clam and the the DT connectors which would be “flopping around” on a dongle sticking out of the roof.

I admit; I’m a perfectionist. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke