We Explore Medano Pass near Westcliff, CO

OverlandTrax

Contributor
Just released a Medano Pass trip report and for looking for feedback from the community. Please leave comments and/or corrections on YouTube. Cheers!

another_mike

Adventurer
Good stuff. There isnt too much stuff about Medano Pass. This past summer, on August 27th, I visited Great Sand Dunes National park and after seeing the prices in the camp ground, decided to go find free camping in the preserve along Medano Pass. I laughed about the "extreme sand" signs since I live in Florida and there was nothing extreme about the sand compared to typical trails down here. About an hour in, found this gem of a spot near the creek. Only saw 1 person drive by that far in during my 2 day stay.

TnxNPFah.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Thank you another_mike! Totally agree about the sand, all the warning signs make you question how difficult it will be and then nothing...
It depends on weather and time of year, it constantly changes and isn't as predictable as a beach. That seemingly good surface could become a fine sand box if it doesn't rain for several weeks. OTOH unconsolidated powder can flush and firm up when the late summer storms start back up. My memory is that before it was a National Park and traffic increased it could get pretty soft. All that sand in the dunes is telltale for the possibility anyway. I also suspect that now more people attempt it in vehicles not suited, so even a little bit of sand in an AWD car with street tires could lead to a headache.

another_mike

Adventurer
It depends on weather and time of year, it constantly changes and isn't as predictable as a beach. That seemingly good surface could become a fine sand box if it doesn't rain for several weeks. OTOH unconsolidated powder can flush and firm up when the late summer storms start back up. My memory is that before it was a National Park and traffic increased it could get pretty soft. All that sand in the dunes is telltale for the possibility anyway. I also suspect that now more people attempt it in vehicles not suited, so even a little bit of sand in an AWD car with street tires could lead to a headache.
Wasnt comparing it to beach sand, Ive actually never driven on beach sand... Its our inland sand is bad, we call it sugar sand for how fine it is. I can usually leave my motorcycle upright without a kickstand.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wasnt comparing it to beach sand, Ive actually never driven on beach sand... Its our inland sand is bad, we call it sugar sand for how fine it is. I can usually leave my motorcycle upright without a kickstand.
Powdered sugar is a great description! That's what the Kokopelli looked like this summer, about 6 inches of fine sugar. Not too bad to drive on since there's rock under but it would just sink and stop you on a bike. It just got churned and looser all summer. We went about 2 months without any rain.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I've run the trail a few times as it's about an hour and a half from my house to the Westcliffe side of the trail. Nice video. As others have said the sand changes. Most of the sand is pretty easy to navigate. However, right at the beginning of the trail on the dunes side there's about 50 yards worth that is the deepest. That's where the dramatic sign is posted. I've seen the unprepared get stuck there. Airing down is usually all it takes but some ignore it. There are enough tourists that come in on pavement from the Alamosa side that think it's a dirt road to explore more of the park.

That being said, overall it's a pretty easy trail most 4wd's can navigate stock. Last time I went over it we did come across a rolled jeep that almost ended up in Medano Creek. Mostly stupidity was to blame as the driver was going way too fast with tight turns in vehicle high brush so you really couldn't see the next turn until you were in it. They overshot a turn, went over the edge and mowed down a tree and rolled over to the passenger side. Another tree kept it from going all the way over about 10 feet down into the creek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94