We changed a 4WD van for a couple of cheap motorbikes in Vietnam

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
After almost 16 years overlanding the World non-stop in a 4WD van named La Cucaracha, we jumped to South East Asia and bought a couple of chinese/Viet motorbikes in Hanoi! This is a-ma-zing! I wish I had started to ride motorbikes before!

This is a learning trip, we never drove motorcycles before, and decided to do it here, at the craziest place possible! So enjoy the images and the spirit of adventure, and light a candle for us. Our road Angel will have some extra work here.

Follow us during the next two months while we travel from the mountainous border with China to the heat of Ho Chi Minh (also thru Laos and Cambodia), here and at Pablo Rey Anna Callau - La Vuelta al Mundo en 10 Años
d28db36906d8f5a9f4ae6ff73d3b1da7.jpg

dc4bfe0aef5494ba9e0f6829c148f39e.jpg

Last edited:

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
The end of the road: the mountain at the back of the image is China! Welcome to Vietnam's North Pole!
69fe7bed86e06b43ba7413494d6c55f1.jpg

Sent from the road.
More info @ www.viajeros4x4x4.com or everyday at our social networks in Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter & YouTube @viajeros4x4x4

Get our overland books in English or Spanish @ Amazon & Kindle. Search 'Around the World in 10 Years' or 'La Vuelta al Mundo en 10 Años'

Last edited:

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
I thought adventure was riding the less travelled roads, but I was wrong.
Adventure was also to survive vietnamese truck drivers, to ask for a plate of plain white rice and to adapt to life on a bike, after so many years living in the comfort of a small five square meters 4WD van.

Here: riding on the northernmost roads of Vietnam, very close to the border with China.
ba3b0d9a9c9257e8f3308d6641201bfe.jpg

Pensé que la aventura estaría en el viaje por rutas perdidas, pero estaba equivocado.
La aventura también estaba en sobrevivir a los camioneros de Vietnam, en la dificultad de pedir un sencillo plato de arroz blanco y en adaptarme a la vida en una moto, después de tantos años viviendo en el confort de una pequeña furgo 4x4 de cinco metros cuadrados.

Sent from the road.
More info @ www.viajeros4x4x4.com or everyday at our social networks in Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter & YouTube @viajeros4x4x4

Get our overland books in English or Spanish @ Amazon & Kindle. Search 'Around the World in 10 Years' or 'La Vuelta al Mundo en 10 Años'

Last edited:

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Dale gas! Anna acelerando en la Ho Chi Minh Road! BRUMMM BRUMMMM!

Speed it up! Anna accelerating at the Ho Chi Minh Road! BRUMM BRUMMMM!
5ad13d969ba43096255fb52bb1820216.jpg

Sent from the road.

LilPoppa

Adventurer
That's awesome. I learned how to ride a bike in Vietnam as well (only in Ho Chi Minh City). That crazy traffic isn't as scary as it seems when you're the one controlling the bike, eh?

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
That's awesome. I learned how to ride a bike in Vietnam as well (only in Ho Chi Minh City). That crazy traffic isn't as scary as it seems when you're the one controlling the bike, eh?
Well, after the first week it seems that this craziness can be normal! *******!

Sent from the road.

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Who is going to be the next to fall in love with rat bike like this? Spoted today in Hoi An, central Vietnam!
4fa4c6f9f40b671b0d3aeca4f2a656a4.jpg

Sent from the road.

gwittman

Adventurer
I don't think that is the one, near Chu Lai, I accidentally backed over with a Euclid TS-24 scraper that had 8 ft tall tires while carrying 32 cubic ft of dirt.

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
It was built by a Hanoi architect with scrap and garbage yards parts. I loved it!

Sent from the road.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Awesome new adventure Pablo!! Wife and i met you and Anna at last year's Overland Expo West. Read your book, Around the World in 10 years (English version) and loved your writing style!

I hope traveling on bikes works out for you! If I could make one suggestion, it might be to find some riding gear... I don't mean big money stuff, like Klim, just some decent foot wear and a few pads will do wonders for you if you "fall down". (I fall down a lot...) :)

viajeros4x4x4

Adventurer
Awesome new adventure Pablo!! Wife and i met you and Anna at last year's Overland Expo West. Read your book, Around the World in 10 years (English version) and loved your writing style!

I hope traveling on bikes works out for you! If I could make one suggestion, it might be to find some riding gear... I don't mean big money stuff, like Klim, just some decent foot wear and a few pads will do wonders for you if you "fall down". (I fall down a lot...) :)
You are absolutely right 1stDeuce! In normal conditions we would have the whole gear pack (and that is what we are going to do when we'll arrive to Barcelona and get our first bike), but this time we've decided to try the whole local pack and travel like people do here.
Wise or not, this time we've survived.

I know it now, also, the most important piece of gear after the helmet are the shoes.... Ouch.

About the books, I'm going to be working on the Enfglish edition of my last book (with breakdowns in the Sahara, assaults with kalashnikovs in Kenya, and lost tribes in Ethiopia) during this summer...
I am so happy to have also in English all the adventures that followed The Book of Independence!

Cheers from Vietnam!

Sent from the road.

haven

Expedition Leader
I see on Facebook that you sold your motorbikes, and that your two months on two wheels has reached a successful conclusion. Congratulations!

Any advice about the buying and selling of the bikes? What are your plans for your next destination?

I'm curious to hear your comparison of how welcoming folks were to you in north, central and south Vietnam. I found people in Ho Chi Minh City to be kinda hostile, only interested in my business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles