Ways to Keep Warm in Your RTT

Randun

When I have camped in a RTT in the winter, the temperature drops down below freezing, and I tend to get a little cold at night.

How do you guys keep you and your family warm in your RTTs when you camp in the cold?

I've heard of 12v Blankets, Mr Buddy Heaters, Diesel Heaters, but I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work.

Thank you for your time and your help!

krick3tt

Adventurer
really warm sleeping bag. only in there in the night usually, unless it is in a snowstorm or rain. mostly we cuddle

Westy

Adventurer
Upgrade your sleeping bag / system. Consider a core + overbag, basically a sleeping bag inside another. This company out of Colorado called Wiggy's, they make good quality sleeping bags at a reasonable cost. I would contact them directly and they will be able to address your issue and find a solution.

FTRSS Overbag Sleeping Bags by Wiggy's

A nice wool blanket also is a great addition and has many uses - Wool Camp Blanket - Adventure Tool Company

Be sure your RTT has an insulated mat at the base and also some insulation on the roof as well to curtail moisture.

Chuck1

Diesel Heater and a bag that will be comfortable ( not mountain climbing) for the lowest temp you will see.

1 inch loft per 10 degrees below 50 degrees, so 40* would be a 2 inch loft, 0* would be 6 inches of loft

This bag is 10 inches of loft and rated for -60, its comfort rating is more like -40

Randun

Upgrade your sleeping bag / system. Consider a core + overbag, basically a sleeping bag inside another. This company out of Colorado called Wiggy's, they make good quality sleeping bags at a reasonable cost. I would contact them directly and they will be able to address your issue and find a solution.

FTRSS Overbag Sleeping Bags by Wiggy's

A nice wool blanket also is a great addition and has many uses - Wool Camp Blanket - Adventure Tool Company

Be sure your RTT has an insulated mat at the base and also some insulation on the roof as well to curtail moisture.
Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Those Wiggy's bags are gorgeous!

I love your idea of an extra blanket on top too. I just couldn't do wool because I'm allergic to it.

I have a insulated mat at the base. Thank you so much for the tips!

SBSYNCRO

I've found the single biggest effect (other than supplemental heating) is the layer UNDER me. You can pile all the blankets in the world on top of you, but if you don't have a good insulation layer under you, it won't help. Another thing that has served me well in cold weather is sleeping in fleece pants. I tend to sleep cold, so even in my supposedly "0º" down bag, I still get cold when it is 30º outside. I layer up with my clothing and then add layers on top & under me as needed for predicted conditions.

For those that want supplemental heat, I was recently gifted a Kovea Cupid tent heater, and it works really well to have it going while we're sitting in the RTT watching a movie, or in the morning to warm things up. I would never leave it running while sleeping, however (it lacks a tip-over control or a CO shutoff). I also keep a CO monitor in the tent whenever we're running either a Mr. Buddy or the Kovea just to be safe.

Last edited:

ThePartyWagon

The correct sleeping bag/system is the answer.

I keep a 20* two person bag in my tent at all times. That works great with two of us down to the rated temps but it does not work well when I'm camping in cold weather by myself. I cannot generate enough heat to warm the whole bag so if it's really cold, I will put my 15* down bag inside my 20* two person and I can stay warm enough that I will sweat if I over layer. The two person bag I use has a zip off top with an integrated "blanket" so I can peel that top layer off if we're camping in warm weather.

Base layers are another important item for staying warm at night. Overlayering doesn't allow your body heat to warm the bag, less is more. Socks, wool bottoms and a thermal/wool base layer top is all I needed in sub 20* temps last month in Idaho. Woke up to 4" of snow and I was toasty warm.

Randun

Diesel Heater and a bag that will be comfortable ( not mountain climbing) for the lowest temp you will see.

1 inch loft per 10 degrees below 50 degrees, so 40* would be a 2 inch loft, 0* would be 6 inches of loft

This bag is 10 inches of loft and rated for -60, its comfort rating is more like -40
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate it.

Randun

I've found the single biggest effect (other than supplemental heating) is the layer UNDER me. You can pile all the blankets in the world on top of you, but if you don't have a good insulation layer under you, it won't help. Another thing that has served me well in cold weather is sleeping in fleece pants. I tend to sleep cold, so even in my supposedly "0º" down bag, I still get cold when it is 30º outside. I layer up with my clothing and then add layers on top & under me as needed for predicted conditions.

For those that want supplemental heat, I was recently gifted a Kovea Cupid tent heater, and it works really well to have it going while we're sitting in the RTT watching a movie, or in the morning to warm things up. I would never leave it running while sleeping, however (it lacks a tip-over control or a CO shutoff). I also keep a CO monitor in the tent whenever we're running either a Mr. Buddy or the Kovea just to be safe.
Thank you so much for your ideas! I really appreciate your time and your help.

Randun

The correct sleeping bag/system is the answer.

I keep a 20* two person bag in my tent at all times. That works great with two of us down to the rated temps but it does not work well when I'm camping in cold weather by myself. I cannot generate enough heat to warm the whole bag so if it's really cold, I will put my 15* down bag inside my 20* two person and I can stay warm enough that I will sweat if I over layer. The two person bag I use has a zip off top with an integrated "blanket" so I can peel that top layer off if we're camping in warm weather.

Base layers are another important item for staying warm at night. Overlayering doesn't allow your body heat to warm the bag, less is more. Socks, wool bottoms and a thermal/wool base layer top is all I needed in sub 20* temps last month in Idaho. Woke up to 4" of snow and I was toasty warm.
Who makes the bags that you use?

I'm allergic to wool unfortunately. So I could use all of your tips but those options.

Thank you so much for your time!

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Both of these sound a tad counterintuitive but they work (assuming you have an appropriate sleep system)- Sleep as naked as you're comfortable with and ensure your tent has a vent slightly open. Condensation from respiration and perspiration will conspire against you in staying warm. You may be initially cold, but you will begin to perspire as your gear begins reflecting your radiated heat back to you. Nothing ruins a night's sleep more than waking up cold and clammy. One way to manage this without the initial cold shock is to doff your clothes after 10-15 minutes in the bag. I like to put fresh socks, underwear, and base layer inside the bag either at the feet or just cuddling with them (easier when not in a mummy bag).

Depending on the tent and conditions I have used a UCO candle lantern with some success for heat. Granted, it is a flame in a tent so make your own risk/safety assessment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles