Ways to Keep Warm in Your RTT

Randun

Both of these sound a tad counterintuitive but they work (assuming you have an appropriate sleep system)- Sleep as naked as you're comfortable with and ensure your tent has a vent slightly open. Condensation from respiration and perspiration will conspire against you in staying warm. You may be initially cold, but you will begin to perspire as your gear begins reflecting your radiated heat back to you. Nothing ruins a night's sleep more than waking up cold and clammy. One way to manage this without the initial cold shock is to doff your clothes after 10-15 minutes in the bag. I like to put fresh socks, underwear, and base layer inside the bag either at the feet or just cuddling with them (easier when not in a mummy bag).

Depending on the tent and conditions I have used a UCO candle lantern with some success for heat. Granted, it is a flame in a tent so make your own risk/safety assessment.
Great tips! Thank you so much for your time and your help!

ThePartyWagon

Who makes the bags that you use?

I'm allergic to wool unfortunately. So I could use all of your tips but those options.

Thank you so much for your time!

I'm not using anything over the top fancy. There shouldn't be any wool used in most modern down or synthetic bags and if wool is a no-go, use synthetic base layers instead.

My two person bag is a Kelty two person double wide- https://www.kelty.com/tru-comfort-doublewide-20/, this stays in the tent with two pillows, year round. I will always forget a pillow if I have to pack one and I don't sleep well without one so it's been really nice to have two pre packed in the tent.

My main bag for all camping trips is an older Marmot 15* down bag. Might have been called the Pinnacle, same stuff as most other mid priced, down, backpacking bags. I have one other super lightweight travel style bag that can be mixed or matched with other bags for any temp range. Having multiple bags has given me a lot of versatility for different conditions.

Randun

I'm not using anything over the top fancy. There shouldn't be any wool used in most modern down or synthetic bags and if wool is a no-go, use synthetic base layers instead.

My two person bag is a Kelty two person double wide- https://www.kelty.com/tru-comfort-doublewide-20/, this stays in the tent with two pillows, year round. I will always forget a pillow if I have to pack one and I don't sleep well without one so it's been really nice to have two pre packed in the tent.

My main bag for all camping trips is an older Marmot 15* down bag. Might have been called the Pinnacle, same stuff as most other mid priced, down, backpacking bags. I have one other super lightweight travel style bag that can be mixed or matched with other bags for any temp range. Having multiple bags has given me a lot of versatility for different conditions.
Thank you so much for your time and your help! I really appreciate it.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Wiggy's Super Light for the win. If you need more toss a one or two of these in with you. Be sure to find the 18 hour ones, then they're great in your jacket pockets in the AM around the fire, unless you have stinky feet.

hot hands copy 2.jpeg

Randun

Wiggy's Super Light for the win. If you need more toss a one or two of these in with you. Be sure to find the 18 hour ones, then they're great in your jacket pockets in the AM around the fire, unless you have stinky feet.

View attachment 631932
I have seen those but have never used them. Thank you so much for the tips!

Soggoth

Good down sleeping bags worked just fine for our family of 3 (including 2.5 yo daughter) during our winter Death Valley trip with night temps in mid-20's. Additionally, we used MrBuddy heater to warm up the tent before going to bed and in the morning to dry out the condensation.

Porkchopexpress

I'm not sure. I have never had an allergy test, but I know as soon as I put on anything that has wool in it I itch like crazy.
I'm a little late but different types of wool can be itchy. It might not be an allergy if that's the only symptom. If you are curious, besides getting tested by professionals, you could handle some merino wool at a store and see if it makes you itch as it is very soft. A merino wool blanket would be very expensive but it is great for base layers as it wicks moisture and is very warm.

llamalander

I'm happy with a 12v mattress pad that I use to heat up the bed before I go to sleep or to warm up a bit in the morning.
I think the max wattage is around 75, but generally I use it on a low setting and only for an hour or less, I can't leave it on or i'll wake up sweating.
From reviews, it looks like it runs at full power on every setting, but cycles with an ever-increasing off period as you turn the setting down.
Not a big hit if running off the battery, if I turn it on while i'm driving, the alternator takes no notice.

We haven't hit cold temps, just down to mid-low 30s. I'm a hot sleeper so I don't need much. Wife is on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Standard Tepui mattress
2 Teton Sports 0* bags
Fleece blanket on her side

We just picked up a lil buddy heater to try out on those brisk mornings.

My wife also wears the Columbia Omni-heat base layers and those are fantastic.

MattJ

Adventurer
Next topic - and believe it or not, I don't think it's one that we've covered in this thread yet! Here we go: breath condensation and keeping your nose warm.

In extremely cold temperatures, I've now got a great system for staying toasty warm in my 0F mummy bag, with an eyeshade on and a fleece hood cinched around the sides of my face (like the Emperor from the Dark Side in Star Wars). That system does a good job of keeping my breath out of the sleeping bag, so it condenses and freezes around the outside of the hood and the mummy rim. However, sometimes the tip of my nose gets cold and stingy. And it wakes me up. I'm wondering if moleskin or first aid tape on my nose would help. I know that ski instructors and yachtsmen use heavy SPF facewax, so I wonder if that would be a good idea. Any advice?

Randun

Next topic - and believe it or not, I don't think it's one that we've covered in this thread yet! Here we go: breath condensation and keeping your nose warm.

In extremely cold temperatures, I've now got a great system for staying toasty warm in my 0F mummy bag, with an eyeshade on and a fleece hood cinched around the sides of my face (like the Emperor from the Dark Side in Star Wars). That system does a good job of keeping my breath out of the sleeping bag, so it condenses and freezes around the outside of the hood and the mummy rim. However, sometimes the tip of my nose gets cold and stingy. And it wakes me up. I'm wondering if moleskin or first aid tape on my nose would help. I know that ski instructors and yachtsmen use heavy SPF facewax, so I wonder if that would be a good idea. Any advice?
Having a cold nose is the worst!

I always joke with my friend that crosheys that she should make us nose cones for camping :)

danfromsyr

Adventurer
I have an all in one Diesel heater (has a carry handle and a contained 0.5l fuel tank.
have an exhaust extension made from 3/4in conduit and use the 3in duct to connect to the upper tent.
it has a key fob remote, so fire it up when the chill gets to me,
$120 shipped. and some have a wireless thermostatic remote.
carry it in a tote that I cover it with to protect from the elements when it's resting outside.
I don't enjoy being cold/wet and the Buddy heaters increase the condensation issue too much.

4000lbsOfGoat

It might sound like overkill but I have learned that a CPAP is the ultimate solution to this problem. I've got heated air being pumped directly into my nose from the outside so I can *completely* bury myself in the covers if need be. No cold nose or cheeks! Us folks forced to rely on a machine for sleeping need to get some kind of advantage! :D

On a more serious note, I'd give another vote for dialing in the sleeping bag situation. I don't sleep in a tent these days but when I did I used a relatively lightweight sleeping bag supplemented by a Thermolite Reactor from Sea to Summit. This very thin liner that goes inside the sleeping bag makes a huge difference in warmth. The disadvantage is that it's basically a giant tube that you have to slide your way in and out of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior