Waxy contaminant in propane line

Scoutman

Explorer
Just to give an update on this.... I've been trying to run the tank down as much as I can with the plan to have the propane place pull the valve and inspect when it's empty. I've hooked this tank to the skottle a number of times with no issues but that burner may be less particular on fuel. I ran it on my cookpartner every morning for a week when our hot water heater was broken in the house. It still just didn't seem to be running full power but I haven't gotten any globs of goop lately. I eventually ordered a new hose ~$35 and it came in last week. I used a bore scope from work to inspect down inside the old hose and the new hose with not much difference. I can see areas where the residue has settled on the inside of the old hose but it just looks like it's sitting there and didn't originate from there. I was unable to use my camera to capture this due to the eyepiece.

I'm headed out into the woods this weekend. Not sure if I'll use the stove or not but will continue to use the tank till it's empty.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Considering the miserable consequences of failure, I would probably hook the tank up to a lantern or burner and let it rip until all of the gas was burned out. What do you lose? $15-20?

WOODY2

Adventurer
Just to give an update on this.... I've been trying to run the tank down as much as I can with the plan to have the propane place pull the valve and inspect when it's empty. I've hooked this tank to the skottle a number of times with no issues but that burner may be less particular on fuel. I ran it on my cookpartner every morning for a week when our hot water heater was broken in the house. It still just didn't seem to be running full power but I haven't gotten any globs of goop lately. I eventually ordered a new hose ~$35 and it came in last week. I used a bore scope from work to inspect down inside the old hose and the new hose with not much difference. I can see areas where the residue has settled on the inside of the old hose but it just looks like it's sitting there and didn't originate from there. I was unable to use my camera to capture this due to the eyepiece.

I'm headed out into the woods this weekend. Not sure if I'll use the stove or not but will continue to use the tank till it's empty.
Another possible solution is to just take your old tank to one of those propane tank swap units and change tanks, thereby eliminating one of the possible culprits.

Scoutman

Explorer
Another possible solution is to just take your old tank to one of those propane tank swap units and change tanks, thereby eliminating one of the possible culprits.

I would do that but it's one of the 10# tanks, not a standard #20 bbq tank. The smaller tanks are much more expensive.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Whoops I need to read the whole thread. But in that light just changing the tank temporarily with a new hose to get the unit burning correctly then re-introduce selected portions of the puzzle in order to identify the culprit.

AC Tundra

The wax you are dealing with looks like paraffin which is a common precipitant in natural gas. In which case your tank is probably contaminated. I’m guessing you are seeing this build up just downstream of an orifice where the gas is cooling down thus allowing the paraffin to “drop out” and coagulate Into the build up you are experiencing. The good news is that paraffin are easier to sweep through a system using heat as compared to asphaltenes which require chemical breakdown. You may try placing your hose in boiling water then blow it out with compressed air. The tank will be more difficult to remediate and should be done professionally.

WOODY2

Adventurer
This issue is probably more common than we know. Mr Buddy heaters highly suggest using a filter as close to the unit as possible, you may want to investigate? Getting your tank purged and cleaned couldn't hurt.

Scoutman

Explorer
Well, the latest on this issue is not much change. I've been trying to use up all the propane in the tank with plans to have Amerigas pull the valve so we can inspect inside. The skottle and my turkey fryer are not particular about the issue but the partner stove is. Yes, @AC Tundra the buildup is downstream of the schrader valve in the hose to stove connection fitting.

We'll eventually get to the bottom of this.

john61ct

Adventurer
The wax you are dealing with looks like paraffin which is a common precipitant in natural gas.
Is that also true for propane? Butane?

I don't think NG is included in any mixes sold as LPG, at least in the Americas.

I believe NG appliances need different jet orifice sizes etc than those used with propane.

john61ct

Adventurer
Mr Buddy heaters highly suggest using a filter as close to the unit as possible
Again, that is only needed when using cheap hoses, the chemical breakdown in use produces the goop that needs filtering.

Using copper, or the more expensive teflon-lined hoses, eliminates the need for those filters.

AC Tundra

Is that also true for propane? Butane?

I don't think NG is included in any mixes sold as LPG, at least in the Americas.

I believe NG appliances need different jet orifice sizes etc than those used with propane.

All natural gases have impurity limits. These impurity limits are usually dictated by the gas plant’s sales contracts. Most consumer grade propane is only 90% propane, 5% propylene and has a 5% impurity allowance. Most refiners take full advantage of that 5% impurity allowance. More than likely your tank was filled when the suppliers tank was near empty and you got the residual impurities.

john61ct

Adventurer
All natural gases have impurity limits. These impurity limits are usually dictated by the gas plant’s sales contracts. Most consumer grade propane is only 90% propane, 5% propylene and has a 5% impurity allowance. Most refiners take full advantage of that 5% impurity allowance. More than likely your tank was filled when the suppliers tank was near empty and you got the residual impurities.
My question was wrt paraffin specifically, not "impurities" in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz