Wavian and Associates NATO Jerry Cans

Overland Hadley

on a journey
NothingClever said:
Well, now....

Having dropped plastic fuel cans from helicopters and not suffered any ruptures, I'd say those that think plastic cans are inadequate for proudly displaying them in their $200 Gucci racks for the Range Rover run to Starbucks are full of, well, crap.

Perhaps I haven't fully tested them as much as some of you authentically rough and tumble adventurists out there :bike_rider: .

Or perhaps the plastic ones just don't adequately suit an image some are after.

<insert eye roll smilie here>

I am after the image that does not include gasoline that has leaked all over everything.

NothingClever

Explorer
These groovy-looking NATO cans that make me feel all expeditionary like I'm part of some great African traverse leak because the gasket wears out. True, the little flip top is faster than unthreading but you can walk through any NATO motorpool and find dozens of these cans that are non-serviceable.

5lfuelk hakilid.jpg

The Scepter cans, on the other hand, do not leak despite miles of offroad use and being dropped from heights of 12-15 feet with minimal protection. Scepter makes some cool attachments for rapid, clean fueling.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
NothingClever said:
These groovy-looking NATO cans that make me feel all expeditionary like I'm part of some great African traverse leak because the gasket wears out. True, the little flip top is faster than unthreading but you can walk through any NATO motorpool and find dozens of these cans that are non-serviceable.

5lfuelk hakilid.jpg

The Scepter cans, on the other hand, do not leak despite miles of offroad use and being dropped from heights of 12-15 feet with minimal protection. Scepter makes some cool attachments for rapid, clean fueling.

I have about a dozen NATO cans, some of which probably date to the 1960s or 70s. Perhaps earlier based on the way a couple of them look. None of them has ever leaked, even when stored on their side in high heat conditions. I don't make a habit of dropping my cans out of helicopters or off cliffs, or abusing them in other ways, but it's obvious some of my cans have experienced some significant abuse and they are still perfectly serviceable.

If the gasket wears out, it can be replaced in about 30 seconds. Although I've never had to replace one, I carry spares. I believe a package of 10 was about $16, including shipping. To suggest that a leaky gasket means the whole can is junk, or that no Scepter can has ever been rendered "non-serviceable," reveals both your inexperience and your ignorance.

There is no doubt the Scepter cans are very high quality. I had some 10 liter Scepter gas cans I used for about 20 years, and they were still in excellent condition when I gave them to a friend. I wouldn't consider myself ill equipped with either, but I much prefer the metal NATO cans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier