Waterproof Upland Hunting Pants

I’m looking for a pair of good quality, breathable waterproof pants for chasing chukar and Huns. They need to be quiet and give me decent flexibility for tromping around the hills. Durable as well as comfortable. I’m tired of getting my butt wet when I sit down for a breather, and I don’t want to carry an Ensolite pad in the bird bag.

Does anyone have recommendations?

I will answer my own question. After reading reviews and realizing some of my hunting friends had these pants, I narrowed it down to three. Sitka, LL Bean and Orvis. The Orvis pants looked the best constructed given the criteria I felt most important.

On friend had both the Orvis and Bean, and brought them to an event so I could see for myself. The Beans were also good, but noisier. Both are pricy.

I have Carhartt and Columbia pants, and both do a good job in the brush, but notso great in the wet. I’m thinking the Orvis will be my best option.

fisher205

Explorer
I have the cabela's waterproof pant and they are just ok. They are a little nosier than I like, but what I have found is that waterproof and breathable should not be used in the same sentence. I seem to get just as wet from sweating as I do from everything else, so only wear them if I know it is going to be wet out. Maybe your solution would be just not to sit down :). But I really am interested to see how the Orvis pants work out for you. I wouldn't mind finding a good "breathable, waterproof pant" to hunt in (I sit down a lot more than I used to).

pside

Check out the offerings from First lite if you haven't' already. The corrugate or the sawbuck would be water resistant and the seak pants would be completely waterproof. I can speak personally of the corrugate and the seak pants as excellent products.

goodspeed

Hey man, there are plenty of variants of hunting pants that are also waterproof. I heard from my friend that hunting pants from The North Face like these ones - Men's Paramount Trail Convertible Pants. My friend has them and he is not stopping talking about their high quality and resistance for water. When I read your post I understood that I should also talk about my new Danner Men’s Pronghorn 8” Uninsulated Hunting Boots in the color Brown. And I simply love them they are stylish and warm and keep my feet dry. Well, to tell you the truth everything that's about hunting interests me. So if you are like me read some good articles on the website everything About Hunting.

Last edited:

waveslider

Outdoorsman
I picked up a pair of Orvis upland pants many, many years ago on some closeout sale rack because they were unhemmed and as a result were long enough for my inseam.

I can't think off the top of my head, another piece of hunting hear that has outlasted them. I still wear them and I still chase quail fairly regular although they don't get the miles they once did.

4524447b-0e2a-42c6-9a62-248ebcc144df.jpg

smiper

Observer
I can't imagine hunting in a fully waterproof pant, but I definitely understand the challenge of finding a tough, water resistant, synthetic pant for upland bird hunting. Up here in the northwest, cotton pants like the Carhartts (which are awesome) aren't really functional.

I had the LL Bean softshells for a season and really liked them, but the stitching in the crotch ripped out. They're a little heavier and more technical, like a ski pant.

I've deer hunted in Cabela's stalking pants and think they've make a fine upland pant, if you can handle the camoflage.

I finally landed on the First Lite upland pant. Lightweight, super durable, and pretty water resistant. I don't love the cut- a little baggy in the thighs and tight through the lower leg- but I also wear my street clothes pretty fitted.

yfarm

Observer
Patagonia makes a field pant that is all synthetic, drys fast has leastane so very comfortable to walk in. Not waterproof/breathable. Facing fabric is water resistant.

willidru

Breathable and waterproof is a tough combo. For upland, I like my filson tin chaps, but don't help on butt getting wet if you sit down and are definitely not very breathable. Have you looked at the Kuiu attack pant? Not waterproof, but water resistant and have vents for breathability. As far a comfort hunting running ridges my favorite pants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles