Waterman Mountains (West of Tucson) 6-10-07

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Anyone been out in the Waterman Mountains, West of Tucson?

I went out there today to do a little prospecting for rock crawling trails. It's mostly BLM land which means existing roads and trails are open for vehicles unless posted otherwise. There's active mining around there, but there used to be lots more. I was hoping to find some neglected mining access trails or roads that would offer a challenge. I didn't find much of that, but the area is really cool for just driving around exploring. I drove and walked around for about 5 hours and only double back a couple times.

I came across a bunch of mine shafts, many vertical and DEEP. There's some mining junk on some of this hillsides that I want to go back and check out.

There is also a lot of trash from illegals out there too, so there's that...:mad:

I would rate the roads 3 for the most part with a few sections of 3.5. I would NOT go out there without a map and lots of water.

erin

Explorer
Hey Blake, sounds pretty cool, let me know if you head out again, I'll tag along. Did you see any wildlife out there? Deer, coyotes, rabbits, etc.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
erin said:
Hey Blake, sounds pretty cool, let me know if you head out again, I'll tag along. Did you see any wildlife out there? Deer, coyotes, rabbits, etc.

Ditto...I'd like to take a look sometime too...

:sombrero:

BogusBlake

I'm going to head out there again pretty soon, maybe in the next couple weeks. Ill let you guys know.

Erin- the only wildlife I saw were a few jackrabbits. It was pretty dang hot.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I've never been out there and I enjoy exploring old mining areas. I head to to New Mexico next weekend but anytime after that, let me know and I'll join ya.:arabia:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
We've played in that area some. Easy going and different. Our favorite in the area is NE of Silver Bell Mine....the Ironwood Natl Forest. Fun! Luv the old railroad/mining area.

ecameron97

About 15 years ago I worked for the old owner of that land you went on. In fact, I helped blast the road between 005 and 033 on your map. We widened the road to get some big rigs back there to a limestone quarry. The runway was used to fly his personal planes in and out of there. He would buy old planes, rigs, and heavy equipement. We would fix them up, then turn around ans sell them. His whole family lived out there in a doublewide. There is a great copper mine shaft that we would pull some azurite out of called the Indiana-Arizona. Last I heard he sold the land off to someone else. I don't know who owns it now and I figured it was private property with no tresspassing. If it is open, I would love to go back there for old times sake.

BogusBlake

ecameron97 said:
About 15 years ago I worked for the old owner of that land you went on. In fact, I helped blast the road between 005 and 033 on your map. We widened the road to get some big rigs back there to a limestone quarry. I don't know who owns it now and I figured it was private property with no tresspassing.

Cool! There's a blasted out quarry at waypoint 005- it's now a BLM designated shooting area. The road between 005 and 030 is darn steep and rough. It goes up a wash between a large peak and a smaller one. The road ends at a saddle.
I walked over to that airstrip- it's pretty grown over with low brush. Ill definitely be heading out there again.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
My wife and I are looking at going out through Avra Valley road and checking out what is through Ironwood that way on Sunday if anyone is interested in joining us. We aren't looking for anything serious... just looking at a easy sightseeing run.

Kyle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke