Water Tanks (Stainless "vs" Aluminum)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Guys

Thinking of ordering a 30L AUX water tank for my rig that tucks up nice under the body!

The company i am going through sells identical tanks and one is Stainless and One is Aluminum. The SS one is $125 more then the aluminum one.

Can you guys tell me your opinions on the pros and cons of each?

Aluminum is obviously lighter, but would it oxidize and mess with the water?

Any info would be awesome!

Thanks
Kevin

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Aluminum is not going to oxidize, the price difference is tied to cost of raw materials and probably means the SS is stronger and therefore more long lasting under constant use than the aluminum one.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Kevin,

I would prefer the Stainless. FWIW, I researched this stuff pretty thoroughly when I was building my trailer, and decided to have a custom 3/8" thick welded poly tank fab'd by a company in Hollister that specializes in this work.

They did a great job, the price was right, and that tank has been under my trailer, between the frame rails, for 3 years now. I also had a 1/8" steel skid plate added (powder coated) covering the bottom of the tank. This is a very good solution - tough, strong, affordable. My tanks is 38.5 gallons.

Another thought... find a place for a 1.5 GPH shurflo 12V pump - this really makes best use of the water - for filling pots and buckets, showers, handwashing, etc. Well worth the few bucks you'll spend on it.

Thought you would be interested in another option.

Mike

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Boston Mangler said:
Thinking of ordering a 30L AUX water tank for my rig that tucks up nice under the body!
More info? Does this fit where the spare tire goes? if so, how are you going to mount it? I'd be very interested in seeing what you're planning as I'd love to do this too.

+ d

Adventurer
it really depends on how the aluminum is treated...
but in my mind there is no question...stainless!

hoser

Explorer
Mike S said:
Another thought... find a place for a 1.5 GPH shurflo 12V pump - this really makes best use of the water - for filling pots and buckets, showers, handwashing, etc. Well worth the few bucks you'll spend on it.
I'm pretty sure you mean 1.5 GPM.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
pskhaat said:
More info? Does this fit where the spare tire goes? if so, how are you going to mount it? I'd be very interested in seeing what you're planning as I'd love to do this too.

This one actually sits up tight to the body (between the body and the framerail) on the drivers side under the 2nd row seats.

Check Here:
http://www.thelongranger.com.au/80_Series.html

I think i am going to follow mikes advice and look into the plastics ones.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
hoser said:
I'm pretty sure you mean 1.5 GPM.

Yeah. Prolly not fully functional when I posted that. Would be pretty hard to shower at 1.5 gallons per hour.

M

blupaddler

Conspirator
I can't find pics of the tank on the 80 series. Found some of a 100 series.

Oh, and funny thing on the 44 gallon sub-tank...They say "fitment" only takes 3 hours!!!

WOW!!!

I wish.

Back on track...My plan is to source a poly tank from a local RV manufacturer. This will then reside where the second row seats go, and the "future" drawer system will go over it. Does that make sense?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
blupaddler said:
back on track...My plan is to source a poly tank from a local RV manufacturer. This will then reside where the second row seats go, and the "future" drawer system will go over it. Does that make sense?

That is the ultimate solution for me, I know that if you have to carry passengers, it may not work, but if it is just you and the SO, that is the perfect location, position. I would probably set it up so that the tank was split in two. Just in case one side got contaminated somehow, your entire water system would not be compromised. I know you should/would filter any water that you put in, but you never know.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
blupaddler said:
Oh, and funny thing on the 44 gallon sub-tank...They say "fitment" only takes 3 hours!!!

Yes, that is because it replaces the non US subtank and therefore the dual neck and all the wiring and such is already there!

keep us posted on the water tank, that will be coming soon! i am trying to get one UNDER my rig!

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Kevin - I installed a poly tank and a 2.8 GPM surflo in the Tacoma - I was very concerned with the water taste - I only fill it with filtered water for drinking and cooking ( yeah I am picky about drinking water) there was a slight taste for the first day or so beyond that it has be clear-clean and no plastic taste - the pump while overkill has been great - nothing like hitting a button and watching water flow :)

I am planning a similar tank/pump install in the 80 I am not sure how big or where yet.

I got my tank/pump online at this site

Thanks Mike for the holister tank connection :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online