Water tanks and baffles balls???

osidepunker

Adventurer
I am designing a 25-35 gallon water tank for my spare tire area under my bed. My truck is a performance truck/RV. I plan on smashing trails at 80mph and then having a hot shower when I make camp for the night.

I have never heard of baffle balls until I started researching RV water tanks. I need to figure out a way to properly baffle my tank so I can keep my truck stable. Are these things snake oil or do they really work? Anybody use them???

I cant seem to find baffled, potable water tanks in the correct size. So I was just going to do 4 tanks and connect them. That seem like a pita though. If I could do one tank with baffle balls, that would be ideal... if they actually keep the fluid stable

NODNARB

Observer
If you can't make your own baffled tank, you could probably use the foam typically used in fuel cells to prevent sloshing, and I've also heard of guys using wiffle balls in fuel cells too.
Not sure if the foam is "food grade" so you might not want to drink it, but for washing off, im sure it's fine.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
osidepunker,

We have two water tenders on our fire department. The San Diego County water tender carries 2,000 gallons and utilizes baffle balls. Our station-owned tender carries 3,200 gallons and utilizes internal baffles to prevent water slosh.

3,200 gallons weighs about 26,656 pounds. With only half a tank of water we're dealing with 13,000 pounds moving back and forth when going around corners. That's a lot of shifting weight. Baffles help but do not eliminate the effects of that much weight on our mountain curves.

In your case 30 gallons for example weighs about 250 pounds. With half a tank you're dealing with 175 pounds sloshing back and forth around corners for your truck to deal with. That seems minor IMO. Will that really matter in your case? If it does and you want to minimize the slosh as much as possible I would consider either baffles in the tank or baffle balls. Remember, they will eat into your total water capacity a little. Either route you go you'll want to be able to get to the internals for repair of broken baffles or damaged baffle balls.

Maybe the smaller tanks would be the way to go?

Just my .02.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Yeah 175lbs of dynamic load is a lot for a vehicle on the trail. In a high speed turn, if I swing the tail opposite (large sweeping left, quick transition to sharp right for example), that 175lbs is enough to break traction. Especially considering that the weight is behind the axle. Also, on loose technical trail, the sloshing hinders your wheel balance on rocks. Imagine a 175lbs person in your bed throwing his weight around trying to shove your rear axle off of rocks... the effect is small, but enough to cause problems

Seems like 7.5" is the smallest diameter balls I can find. The tank I am looking at is 30"L x 24"W x 10"H so those are too big.

I am starting to think the smaller tanks are the way to go. I can do four tanks at 16"L x 14"W x 10"H for 36 gallons. I have a total space of 32"L x 32"W x 10"H to work with. I just have to figure out how to properly plumb them together

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Sounds like in your case the small tanks are the ticket. Do you think they need to be plumbed together or can you get by with separate accesses to each tank; i.e. use one tank until dry and switch over to another tank, thus preventing issues with plumbing. Just thinkin' out loud here.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Thanks man keep the ideas coming!

The ultimate goal is to have one output with variable temperature. Very low flow, like .5gpm. I have already mocked up a prototype for the hot water side. We have used it successfully about 5 weekend trips now. The next step is to stop using jerry cans and permanently package it on the truck with a 30ish gallon tank. Heres a pic:

20140921_105551.jpg

I suppose that I could have a valve to switch between tanks, but I thought it would be simpler if they were plumbed to together so that they behave like one tank. hmmm

highdesertranger

Adventurer
so let me get this straight you want to travel off road at 80 mph with 35gals of water and all your other gear? really. slow down. highdesertanger

dnellans

Adventurer
Agree sounds like an accident waiting to happen... From someone who has rolled trucks at speed in the desert :) sounds like a trailer is a good solution for you, tow they heavy and drop it off before cranking high speed trails.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Pshtt I drive my truck within its safe limits at all times. You don't know where I drive these speeds at or what activities I'm engaged in so keep your off topic opinions to yourselves old timers

snowcat

I used to deliver water to rv's camped in the desert around Quartsite, Az. I used a three hunderd gallon tank on a trailer. It would almost fall over to the outside on curves until I made my own baffle balls. 3" diameter PVC pipe cut in three inch lengths. I filled the tank with the pieces to the top. No more problems. It was amazingly different towing the trailer thru curves after the baffles were added.

osidepunker

Adventurer
I used to deliver water to rv's camped in the desert around Quartsite, Az. I used a three hunderd gallon tank on a trailer. It would almost fall over to the outside on curves until I made my own baffle balls. 3" diameter PVC pipe cut in three inch lengths. I filled the tank with the pieces to the top. No more problems. It was amazingly different towing the trailer thru curves after the baffles were added.

Thanks! So a bunch of cylinders huh? I like that. Sounds like it would work well

dnellans

Adventurer
haha - not sure at 34 I qualify as an old timer. bad driver perhaps though :smiley_drive:
just sayin you'll have more fun at those speeds dropping the wife children and water off at the campsite first!

osidepunker

Adventurer
Agree sounds like an accident waiting to happen... From someone who has rolled trucks at speed in the desert :) sounds like a trailer is a good solution for you, tow they heavy and drop it off before cranking high speed trails.

I bought a full size truck so I wouldnt have to haul a trailer. I also dont have to load the roof up with a bunch of weight. All my weight will be nice and low and well within my trucks payload capacity. Roof racks and trailer will slow me down. I already routinely romp high speed with 40 gallons of fluids so I already understand how the truck behaves. I have 20 ga fuel and 20 ga h20 in jerry cans mounted low and right behind the cab. Truck handles beautifully. 5 to 15 more gallons will not make much difference.

haha - not sure at 34 I qualify as an old timer. bad driver perhaps though :smiley_drive:
just sayin you'll have more fun at those speeds dropping the wife children and water off at the campsite first!

so let me get this straight you want to travel off road at 80 mph with 35gals of water and all your other gear? really. slow down. highdesertanger

No hard feelings, but I am responsible on the trail. I tread lightly, plan ahead, carry appropriate gear, and always stay safe. I do believe there are safe ways to run trail at high speeds just like there are safe ways to rock crawl up the side of a hill. If I am doing something specific that you guys believe is dangerous, then I will be happy to debate that.

but you guys just wanna lecture me. Save it.

Oh and I am 37 and will I not slow down :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online