Water tank level sensor + indicator!

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

I'm putting a ~12gal drinking water tank under my Jeep, and I'd like to have a way to determine how full it is.
Does anyone have a relatively simple / cheap solution to this?

I'm trying to steer away from a float sensor, I assume it will not like bouncing around in there too much and eventually fail.

Thanks,
-Dan

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hi All,

I'm putting a ~12gal drinking water tank under my Jeep, and I'd like to have a way to determine how full it is.

I'm trying to steer away from a float sensor, I assume it will not like bouncing around in there too much and eventually fail.

Thanks,
-Dan

My 55 gal tank is inside the cabin mostly for freezing purposes. So I open the top and look. If I want to get crazy I put a dip stick in.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My 55 gal tank is inside the cabin mostly for freezing purposes. So I open the top and look. If I want to get crazy I put a dip stick in.

I'm seriously out of interior space, so mine is going under the frame rails.

I'm not too worried about it freezing in Africa :)

You did just give me an idea though - I've been thinking about running a "vent" hose up into the Jeep (along with the mail water house) - I could have some kind of basic dipstick in that vent hose that may just work, assuming I can find something that will bend around corners OK.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm using these for my 3 tanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fresh-Water...Meter-Sensor-RV-Camper-Van-Boat-/251416230707

No moving parts, sound like they're reliable and aren't too expensive.

Ohhh - now that looks cool.

Looking at the diagram for inside vs. outside mounting (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTcwWDE1Mzg=/z/rfUAAOSwbqpT9eC0/$_57.JPG) - can you do the inside mounting without having access to the inside of the tank? (I can't imagine how you'd get the "seal" and the white bit below that through the hole that's for the probe.)

I want to be careful that whatever I come up with doesn't stick out of the top of the tank too far - less than 1/4" would be best.
Now that I've written that, I wonder if I could install it in the side of the tank (right near the top) and bend right angles into the two "probes" so they point straight down to the bottom... I guess it will be a little wonky at 90%+, but should still be perfect for everything less than ~70% I would think.

Thanks!
-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
put a bung at the bottom of the tank and use clear tubing to make a sight glass of sorts.

I thought about that - the tank is going to be under the Jeep between the frame rails, and will have a skid plate on the bottom and all sides.

I think the skid plate will make a sight glass virtually impossible - and the fact that the tank is tucked under the jeep means it would be very difficult to have a tube at the same height as the tank itself.

-Dan

RoadForce

Observer
Off-topic, but still: if you don't have an inspection hole, then how are you going to service your tank (for sanitation etc)?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi All,

Thanks,
-Dan

How much detail do you need? The basic sensors that go into RV water and waste tanks are very inexpensive, and work well on fresh tanks (not to well in gray/black). You could pretty easily roll-your own and put in as few or as many as you want.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Off-topic, but still: if you don't have an inspection hole, then how are you going to service your tank (for sanitation etc)?

When saying "inspection hole" how big are we talking?
Most of the tanks I'm looking at have about a ~1.5" 'drain hole' - but that won't be big enough to get my hand into, so maybe I need to add an inspection hole ?

-Dan

RoadForce

Observer
I don't have the exact size available, but here in Europe, I think 4 to 5 inch is about a regular size. It's enough to fit your through to reach in and clean out the bottom of the tank with e.g. a sponge.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
How much detail do you need? The basic sensors that go into RV water and waste tanks are very inexpensive, and work well on fresh tanks (not to well in gray/black). You could pretty easily roll-your own and put in as few or as many as you want.

I've been looking into those too, thanks.
Do you know how the displays work? do they have a certain number of sensor they're expecting, and you just buy the right display for the number of sensors you want?
I'm thinking 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 full - so four sensors in all.

I'm also struggling to find somewhere to buy the panel that would be any cheaper than the Votronic option mentioned by Maninga above.

Thanks,
-Dan

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I've been seriously considering a Blue Sea Systems VSM422 unit to monitor my 2 diesel tanks, potable water tank and black water tank. They aren't "cheap" but I'm in a unique position where my stock fuel sending units are no longer available and are dead, so I need something. The 422 utilizes ultrasonic "non contact" senders which don't wear out. After a simple calibration routine they are pretty much good to go. This is likely more technology than you were looking for, but I thought at least one post should include this rather unique piece of hardware.

Being that it is Blue Sea Systems, it is guaranteed to be well built and well supported. Marine grade stuff is always better.

SG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior