Water tank capacity on your trailer.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I bought a propane water heater a 12 volt pump and now all I need is the water storage tank.
I see lots of tanks available and I have plenty of space for one. But what size. I have a family of four and The girls like to be clean. cooking, washing and drinking water will be in the same tank. I will be toting two 2.5 gallon jugs with pumpers for use too.

What capacity have others used? Post some pictures of the tanks and water systems.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
On the truck we've been using a 21 gallon tank. If we carry drinking water separately, and use the tank wisely the four of us can go a week with showers,cooking and washing dishes. Using the tank exclusively for all of our water needs gets us about 3 days in before we have to find a source to refill.

For the teardrop we're going big....somewhere around 40 gallons, but we haven't purchased it yet.....

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
What water heater?

I have a CampChef water heater and it's great other than it burns though water pretty quickly. I think it has a 1.5 quart per minute minimum to keep it going. I carry 20 gallons in my trailer and two 5 gallon storage containers.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
This model it is still in the box once I get a tank I will try it out.

Attachments

• 072611hwod.jpg
    072611hwod.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 15

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
My current trailer has 28 gallons on board, but will be increasing that to 38 under the trailer and room for another 20 on the sides I think. I really do not see a reson for that much, but you can never have too much. I may lose the extra under the trailer as I am looking at doing a grey water tank, I am within 2 inches right now. Could make the trailer 2inches longer I guess. Would have little effect. I use a standard RV 6 gallon propane, electric start water heater in line with shurflow on demand water pump.

Last edited:

Vince1

Adventurer
This model it is still in the box once I get a tank I will try it out.

I've got that one hooked up to a 25 gal Fimco sprayer tank with pump. Works great. The off position on the spray handle turns off the pressure sensing pump. Wife plus daughter love it. Plenty of water if you manage it. Any more is too much deadweight IMHO.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Here's the same setup as used on the trailer. The blue hose is the water line coming from the 40 gallon tank hidden between the wheels in the basement of the teardrop. The Zodi Hut is huge when setup and perfect for hot showers.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I have a 15 gal. tank in my Bantam trailer for cooking, showers, etc., plus I carry a case or two of bottled drinking water. I have three jerry cans mounted on my tow rig, usually 5 gal. gas + 10 gal. water, but on longer trails I switch to 10 gal. gas and 5 gal. water.

My system is as simple as it can be - a gravity fed spigot. For showers, I use an old Zodi Hot Tap. I know there are more sophisticated setups, but it works for me. I thought about a larger tank, but it would take away precious space and add weight. Even with 15 gallons, I've yet to run out before I could find a source of potable water, although I'll admit that it has required rationing a time or two.

wyojoe

Adventurer
I'm looking to put a 24 gallon tank under my Jumping Jack. Currently all I have are two 7 gallon jugs that I carry on the side of the trailer, plus whatever drinking water I carry in my cooler. If I need more, I can carry additional water jugs in my tow vehicle, or strapped to the top of the trailer, but I don't do that very often.

Here is the 24 gallon tank I'm considering:
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-R804...UTF8&colid=SOGKK987OLQS&coliid=I2EYNHXZS5NK4T

It is a low enough profile that I think I can attach it under my trailer without sacrificing the clearance very much. It should hang down only about as far as the cross tube on the axle does.

I also have a demand pump that I plan to install under the trailer, and a Camp Chef Triton water heater that I will rig in some way to make hot water readily available, when needed. Of course the demand pump will require a 12v power source, so I've installed a deep cycle battery in a tray on the trailer. It's currently on the front of the trailer, but I may move it to the side, but that will require fabrication of a mounting plate to put it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles