Water tank between trips?

Superduty

Adventurer
I got a Front Runner 17 gallon water tank mounted in the bed of my truck. Plan is to fill it with water before a trip.

How should i care for the water tank between trips?

I am able to remove it from truck, but if i don't need to use the bed of truck, my plan is to leave it there.

What care is needed so the inside of the tank doesn't get gross.

The water is used for showering, dishwashing, hand washing, dog water and cooking.

Per Front Runner:

Made from food grade polyethylene and is BPA free.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

smbisig

Adventurer
Since my Gladiator isn't a daily driver, I usually leave my 13-gallon tank full and if I am not traveling, I will swap the water out every couple of weeks. I use Camco drinking water freshener when I fill it. My thoughts, this is one source of emergency water if needed. And same, I only use it for non-drinking applications, but I keep it clean so that I could drink if needed.

Curious as to what others use and what others add to their tanks to keep them clean.

Superduty

Adventurer
My truck isn't a daily driver either. However there are times where I will drive it around. If it's best for the tank to keep it full I can do that, though I'd rather not lug around an extra 17 gallons of water.

I will also add, where i live, in the summer it's over 90° pretty much every day with many days breaking 100. As a result I presume the tank and its contents are getting to at least the ambient. There is a shell on the truck so the tank does not get direct sunlight.

Superduty

Adventurer
I usually keep my tank full with water freshener. I also add a couple of drops of bleach.
So that means you keep it full of water as well between trips?

What water freshener do you use?

Is this water that you drink if needed?

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
So that means you keep it full of water as well between trips?

What water freshener do you use?

Is this water that you drink if needed?

I use Camco water freshener, any will do. This is for drinking water. I would not carry any water I could not drink. That does not make any sense.

MOAK

Adventurer
We’ve a pair of Frontrunner tanks in the trailer. Maybe once a year I’ll drop a few polidents in each 10 gallon tanks. Let it set overnight, drain & fill. Been doing that for 10 years. In the truck we’ve a 12 gallon tank used primarily for showers. Once a year, I’ll drop in a capful of bleach. Our showers are clean, and our drinking water cleaner.

Alloy

Purogene (chlorine dioxide) along with the test strips doesn't dissipate in a couple day like chlorine does. I start with 3ppm and a 2 months later there is still 2ppm.

TwinStick

Explorer
Regardless of what you choose, just remember that if you don't sanitize it, you could become sicker than you ever have, and be in the middle of nowhere, lol.

I always use plain bleach. No additives, no dyes, no fragrances. I double the recommended amount & then let sit while full for at least 24 hrs, then rinse it out & refill completely 3x. In the military, I witnessed the result of drinking water that wasn't safe to drink. It took out an entire platoon, for at least 2 weeks. I was smart enough to know what not potable means. I tried to warn them but they didn't care. It was hot & we were all thirsty.

Superduty

Adventurer
Funny, I emailed Front Runner and they said to remove the tank and fill with soap and water and swish it around and then rinse. I am sure many people have their tanks hard mounted and plumbed, so I it is kind of comical for them to suggest removing it after each trip.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Regardless of what you choose, just remember that if you don't sanitize it, you could become sicker than you ever have, and be in the middle of nowhere, lol.

I always use plain bleach. No additives, no dyes, no fragrances. I double the recommended amount & then let sit while full for at least 24 hrs, then rinse it out & refill completely 3x. In the military, I witnessed the result of drinking water that wasn't safe to drink. It took out an entire platoon, for at least 2 weeks. I was smart enough to know what not potable means. I tried to warn them but they didn't care. It was hot & we were all thirsty.
Same here. I sanitize my camper's tank with bleach and baking soda. I refill with tap water as the clorine helps keep the water safe. To be honest though I carry a Sparklett's 2.5 gallon plastic jug for drinking water.

Superduty

Adventurer
@MOAK and @Alloy and @TwinStick do you recommend leaving the tank full of water between trips? To all, what are the drawbacks of leaving the tank empty or close to empty? Can it be half full? Or best to keep it full?

MOAK

Adventurer
@MOAK and @Alloy and @TwinStick do you recommend leaving the tank full of water between trips? To all, what are the drawbacks of leaving the tank empty or close to empty? Can it be half full? Or best to keep it full?
I do drain mine every winter. Once March rolls around we fillem up and refill them when needed. I remember growing up on the farm never treating the cistern with bleach or anything. It was all rainwater off the roofs. Best drinking water ever. The only reason I bleach our shower water is because the white tank is exposed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles