Water Storage

Xterabl

Adventurer
Hey, thanks frgtown...guess I should've bothered to read it myself. Two outlets may present minor issues with the extra tubing, etc., but probably not too bad, all things considered.

O

oO_Rogue_Oo

not sure the manfacture but I have seen a rear bumber with water storage on a jeep. You just unscrewed the cap and put the pump/faucet on and good to go. I used it after shooting one day and it was pretty nice. Will try and make some calls to find out who makes it.

AEV rear bumper

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=103050&Category_Code=

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10305015AA

5Runner

Adventurer
Here is an idea for on board water storage...please share your thoughts.

Having on board air is also a plan for me. With that will be air tank(s) built in with compressor(s) wired in and on all the time to keep a certain pressure. The idea is to tap a line off the tank(s) to a pressure reducer, to the primary water storage tank?

This way the water system is kept under constant pressure to the tap. A hot water line will run off the same tank(s) to a coolant heat exchanger and back to the tap. Here you could even have a mixing valve to dial in your shower temp if you wanted.

This seems like a way to eliminate the need for a water pump (second electrical device) by using the air compressor.

Thoughts:

!) I plan to put the compressor(s) under the hood. It seems the dirty engine air would not be good to use in your water supply. This water is meant for cooking and drinking too.
2) due to number 1, should you move the compressor to a cleaner source, or can you attach a breather on the compressor inlet and route it to open air outside the engine bay.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
It could work, but would require a sealed filler inlet for the water.

RV city water inlet regulators are generally in the 25-45 psi range, so standard PEX RV water pipes could handle it, but the tank might not be able to handle much pressure.

Probably suck a lot more amps out of the battery than a regular little RV water pump to achieve the same goal.

Plus more wear and tear on the compressor which probably costs more to replace than a water pump.

5Runner

Adventurer
It could work, but would require a sealed filler inlet for the water.

RV city water inlet regulators are generally in the 25-45 psi range, so standard PEX RV water pipes could handle it, but the tank might not be able to handle much pressure.

Probably suck a lot more amps out of the battery than a regular little RV water pump to achieve the same goal.

Plus more wear and tear on the compressor which probably costs more to replace than a water pump.

Good thoughts, but it seems like it would hardly work the compressor at all. Once the air tanks are up to pressure (at 120 psi) it shouldnt take much volume of air to keep 10 gallons of water at 30 psi. As the water flows, you are only going to use enough air, compressed at 30 psi, to replace the water you use...doesn't seem like much at all.

PsychoBurb

Observer
I'll be using the PVC idea myself. Gonna build my own roof rack on the burb and provision it for a piece of 6" pvc on each side, each about 6' long. Tap an air fitting into it so i can presurrize them, and use them for wash water and showering. Will probably even paint them black so I will have hot water if the sun is shining. And being under pressure will also raise it's freeze point a bit. Not that freezing is a huge concern in and around Tx.

matt s

Explorer
i see nothing wrong with it. In fact I just recieved this:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/spot-sprayer-15-gal--2138134
For the price I figured i couldn't go wrong. Gonna build one of my benches around it.

Anyone know how "potable" the water is when using one of these. Their polystyrene but are they food grade or close enough? I would worry about the pump and nozzle but then again I drink from the garden hose with thinking twice about it.

I originally bought a similar unit from harbor freight. I was going to use it for a water tank on my trailer. It seemed like a great deal with the pump included and all. When I got it home and opened it up, the tank smelled horrible inside. I didn't think it was food grade at all as it is intended for agricultural things like bug sprays, weed killers and such. I tried rinsing it out several times with a light bleach solution but could not get the smell out of it. Then there was the interior of the pump that was also a concern....in the end I returned it as I didn't think the "good deal" for the item was worth the headache. I bought a real drinking water holding tank and seperate pump. It cost more but I slept a lot better! And I like hose water as well. :coffeedrink:

I am thinking of making some out of large diameter PVC pipe and mounting to roof rack, one on each side with ball valve or hoses leading from to rear middle of cruiser to a swing out shower head type thingy? easy to make, last for a long time, holds a good amount of water?? this would be just for shower or boiling water, I will carry my drinking water in Scepter cans. but then again a little bleach kills anything so if I had to drink i would. i did the whole cylinder volume to gallon conversion online, a cylinder approx 36" x 6" = 4 gallons. might also mount one or 2 under my CDN M101 camping trailer.

R

Sounds like a great idea. I was going to put a PVC pipe tube on my roof for holding fishing poles. I could have that on one side and a water tank on the other. Being up high Gravity Flow would make it really nice and easy too.

Caoboy

Adventurer
This is what I've started using. 7 gallons for 10.88 at the local *gasp* Walmart. I like that they are stackable, have a spigot, and fit in an ice chest, even though they don't look as cool as a jerry can that costs at least 2x the price. Great for car camping, day trips, etc. 1.75 for 7 gallons of water versus toting around a bunch of bottles? I'm down! :snorkel:

For cost-effective and easy water portage, it's hard to beat the venerable Aqua-tainer...

499221.jpg

They're sturdy, strong and cheap. Has a spigot (that can be reversed and stored inward). They easily stack (and even lock together between top and bottom once the spigot is inverted).

I find them much better than the collapsible units or the Coleman units.

xpdishn

Adventurer
Got tired of hauling various sizes of water jugs for my long trips. So I built my own.

Total of 17 gallons, on the floor, in the middle of the rig, 12v pump with faucet at the back.

Looking forward with tank in foot well:
016.jpg

And then sideways to show size:

017.jpg

Just got done and views are before all my storage is put back in.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Awesome! In the first picture: at the left, is that a fill hose going to outside the vehicle?
I'm doing the same thing right now...building custom water tank out of ABS plastic.
Did you use polyethylene? Hot-air welded?
Looks very sweet.
Going custom is the only way to maximize water volume and minimize wasted storage space....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles