Water Storage

99wj

Adventurer
other than Water Cans (scepter, wedco etc..) what does everyone use for water storage on-board and what kind of pump are you using also. Just looking to do an on-board water setup and i'm not sure where to start, if you guys have any links for products, much appreciated. :)

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Here's mine. I stuck the writeup in the Jeep forum for some reason, but I think this product and approach would work for many other types of vehicles as well.

I'm very happy with it so far. :smiley_drive:

web.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

Here's mine. I stuck the writeup in the Jeep forum for some reason, but I think this product and approach would work for many other types of vehicles as well.

I'm very happy with it so far. :smiley_drive:

web.jpg

Mn, I like that. almost makes me want to go get a vehicle I can use it in...lol. no seriously, its a very clever use of space.

99wj

Adventurer
very nice, might be able to fit that into the back of my jeep, thanks man! also if anyone has any good info on any type of lightweight water pumps, because i noticed on the frontrunner tank you have to work with gravity, i'd like to mount the outlet somewhere else, higher than the outlet.

Thanks!

Last edited:

roberto

Adventurer
I am thinking of making some out of large diameter PVC pipe and mounting to roof rack, one on each side with ball valve or hoses leading from to rear middle of cruiser to a swing out shower head type thingy? easy to make, last for a long time, holds a good amount of water?? this would be just for shower or boiling water, I will carry my drinking water in Scepter cans. but then again a little bleach kills anything so if I had to drink i would. i did the whole cylinder volume to gallon conversion online, a cylinder approx 36" x 6" = 4 gallons. might also mount one or 2 under my CDN M101 camping trailer.

R

Pokey

Adventurer
check out the 10liter MSR Dromedaries. I have 70liters worth---fit nicely in the footwells and keeps alot of weight down low in the vehicle.

-very strong (can stand on them/ 220lbs+)
-come with accessories like shower attachment etc.
-lowest weight water storage out there (if thats a concern)
-once used -can rolled up for out of the way storage

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm also a big fan of MSR 10 liter Dromedary bags, but I also use Platypus Water Tanks in the 6 liter size. Both products are sold through Cascade Designs of Therm-a-Rest fame. The Platy bags are ridiculously durable, easy to clean with the big zip-lock openings.

I prefer this method of water storage because once the containers are empty, they can be rolled up and stowed anywhere. I also like being able to keep that much weight low in the vehicle. I usually carry as much as 40 liters of water on the floor behind my front seats. Putting that same 80 pounds on the roof sounds like a bad idea.

theMec

Adventurer
10 liter Dromedary bags go for $40. That's pricey!
I picked up a 10 gal (~40 liter) plastic setup for $28 here ->
http://stores.ebay.com/R-and-P-Carriages-Trailer-Sales__W0QQ_fsubZ2
I got this link somewhere on Expo. A few connections and a valve and it's a great gravity feed system. I originally hooked up 2 valves because I thought it wouldn't drain fast enough. One valve was fine. I plugged the other hole.

If you need a bladder style, I think this 27 liter Frontwell ($65) is a better deal -> http://tinyurl.com/ydcjxsh

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I'm also a big fan of MSR 10 liter Dromedary bags, but I also use Platypus Water Tanks in the 6 liter size. Both products are sold through Cascade Designs of Therm-a-Rest fame. The Platy bags are ridiculously durable, easy to clean with the big zip-lock openings.

I prefer this method of water storage because once the containers are empty, they can be rolled up and stowed anywhere. I also like being able to keep that much weight low in the vehicle. I usually carry as much as 40 liters of water on the floor behind my front seats. Putting that same 80 pounds on the roof sounds like a bad idea.

I have had problems with the zip-lock opening on the Platy bags not closing properly after a while. But my set is older, from 7 or 8 years ago, so they may have changed the design.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
check out the 10liter MSR Dromedaries. I have 70liters worth---fit nicely in the footwells and keeps alot of weight down low in the vehicle.

-very strong (can stand on them/ 220lbs+)
-come with accessories like shower attachment etc.
-lowest weight water storage out there (if thats a concern)
-once used -can rolled up for out of the way storage

x3 on the MSR Dromedaries. Yes there are cheeper bladders out there, but these are made to last and I have never had a problem with leaking. Just be aware that they make a lightweight and a heavy weight version, I use the black heavy weight ones in the rig.

I like the Dromedaries because I do not need to use a water pump. Yes a pump can be nice, but it is one more thing to deal with or have break. Plus a frozen water pump does not work very well.

If you are interested in a large custom bladder system, check out a boating supply place. Sailboats use extensive bladders for water storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior