Water storage

Steve Curren

Explorer
I need input from all you expedition type folks who have everything loaded up and ready to go. I would like to know if you store your water containers filled, I am thinking of doing so and want to know how to do it. I have seen drinking water freshener that they use in motorhomes and wonder if that would work for long term storage? What else is used?
Thanks.

photoleif

Observer
i empty and thoroughly dry my two 7-gal reliance water tanks after each use, then once they're dry, i partially re-cap them to keep out the dust and such. before the next use, i swish hot water around in 'em with some baking soda (about 1/2 cup in a gallon of hot water), then drain, rinse and refill. i get a little tired of doing it but i really hate stale anything, especially water.

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Bleach or treatment tabs and or a filter

When we lived on our boat we would keep drinking water separate from general purpose water. We would treat the large holding tank of general water with bleach and we would use water treatment tabs on the driking water. Drinking water was stored in 5 gallon jerry cans and one plastic "car boy" with a pump on top. The general purpose water was used only for cooking if it would be boiled first, the rare shower, and for rinsing dishes. It all went throug a filter as well.

In the truck I have two 5 gallon containers that I empty and dry out after every use. Before refilling I usually swish around a bleach water mix for a few minutes, rinse and then refill to full. I try not to drink it and use it only for general use and emergency drinking water. I usually take a gallon or two of store bought bottled water.

I have also started only taking one five gallon container instead of two due to the extra weight

Steve Curren

Explorer
So from what I gather, leave the containers dry and with a bit of an opening for air and hopefully not too much dirt. When I go to use the 5 gal and the 20 gal I will rinse with a bit of bleach to hopefully kill any unwanted guests. I hoped to be able to leave water in the containers but it sounds like a no go. Mario did tell me about using vinegar to help rid the containers of the plastic smell and it does work well.

Scott Brady

Founder
Steve,

That is one of the advantages of the Chaser, is that you basically have a survival pod, ready to go. Water, extra fuel, camping equipment, etc.

With fire hazards in the area I live, my Chaser is always ready to go, with full water, fuel and food.

Here is what I found on water storage:

"Chlorine Treatment: Liquid chlorine bleach can be used to disinfect water for long-term storage. One gallon can be treated by the addition of 1/4 teaspoon of liquid chlorine bleach containing 4 to 6 percent sodium hypochlorite. (Most bleaches contain
5.25 percent.) This is equivalent to 16 drops of liquid chlorine bleach.
Closure of water containers should be secure. Stored water should be checked occasionally. If any changes, such as cloudiness or an odor, are noted, replace the water and treat as before."

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
I keep 3 ea 5 gal plastic containers full at all times. One will get refilled as needed, usually a couple of times a month, the other two will get refilled maybe once a year. They are always filled to the top & sealed tight. I haven't noticed any stale tastes.

At my age, I sometimes forget what it tastes like anyway. The tequila usually kills any germs or bacteria.:ar15:

articulate

Expedition Leader
awalter said:
At my age, I sometimes forget what it tastes like anyway. The tequila usually kills any germs or bacteria.:ar15:

Oh how I look forward to aging gracefully like you. You set the standard. ;)

Steve Curren

Explorer
Thanks for the heads up, as soon as all the containers are dry and smelling sweet I will fill them. I will leave one of the 20L containers for tequila since it seems to be a group favorite. How long should properly treated water be able to stay, just keep checking for cloudiness or an odor and change or treat if that occurs? Once again I want to thank everyone who has had input.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Hey! Thanks for the Thread!

Hey, Steve!
Thanks for the thread.
As soon as I started reading this thread I suddenly realized I hadn't emptied my water tank on the Horizon since my last trip (El Camino del Diablo!). :eek:
So I just ran out and pulled the drain plug...I'll rinse and dry shortly.
I don't usually forget things like that, but stuff happens.
Thanks for the memory jogger!
:D
Ed

Steve Curren

Explorer
So welcome Ed, better now than never.. How do you keep your water? I just got all filled and bleached, sounds like doing the laundry.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
In Venezuela we used to add a couple of drops of iodine to our water storage containers to kill off most of the bacteria. But the best long-term solution, as has been pointed out, is not too keep water stored too long.

david despain

Adventurer
so whats the best method for long term storage of tequila? is that what the worm is for? how many worms should i put in my 20L nato cans? and do i need to add worm(s) if im using a plastic sceptor can? :confused: :hehe:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Steve Curren said:
So ... How do you keep your water?

Ok, I'm slow...

If I'm not going out again anytime soon, I empty the tank, using whatever water is left to water some plants (water conservation guy). After a short while I recap the drain plug and put a gauze around the filler hole, held on with a rubber band. Keeps out crawlies, but allows it to dry out.

I rinse and refill just before the next trip.
:elkgrin:
Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz