water storage on a jeep wrangler

UNI

Adventurer
We haul our water cans on our trailer, but we could haul them where we have these fuel cans.

CIMG4995.JPG

dejablu311

Observer
I can't see that being a very good idea. First time you drop that side into a rock/log/tree/the ground, your going to rip that clean off and perhaps do a ton of dammage to the tub in the process.

I disagree as well. I can't think of any time I have been even close to getting a rock close to the fenders there. If I did then the rock would be it my lap next. Hopefully I would realize long before it got to that point that I picked the wrong line. Is it impossible? No. Worth the slight chance for the xtra water storage though.

JPK

Explorer
I've seen plenty of situations where your squeezing between rocks and one is near the water cans. But so what? Plan your route or approach with the cans in mind... )Just like you do with the fenders in mind.)

JPK

Overbear

Observer
I don't know, I tend to just mash the go button, and not really care about the sheet metal. So I keep my sides as clear of obstructions as I can.

With that in mind, working on my buddies TJ, I am working on a idea to fab up a stainless steel tank, that bridges the footwell behind the front seats. If the idea works it should hold 15-20 gallons, have twin pickups, a few baffles to keep it from sloshing and be potable water on the go in an area thats currently unuseable.

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
water

I just picked up some of the plastic jerry cans to mount on a rack, no room inside for storage. Not to hi-jack the thread but....The cans haven't been used in a few years, what do most people use to sterilize them. they appear to be clean but I dont want gut rot on a five day trip

kb7our

Explorer
I just picked up some of the plastic jerry cans to mount on a rack, no room inside for storage. Not to hi-jack the thread but....The cans haven't been used in a few years, what do most people use to sterilize them. they appear to be clean but I dont want gut rot on a five day trip

I use a diluted bleach with water solution to sanitize things in the RV and the JKU. Lot's of online info about that such as...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4644603_clean-drinking-water-holding-tanks.html

Be sure to do a good rinse out when you empty the bleach solution.

Overbear

Observer
One thing to consider if they are "older" plastic ones. Find out if they are made with BPV, if so know that as they get hot (sun) they will leach chemicals that are carcingetic into the water. Most of the new ones made in the last year or two are free of that, but the older ones are suspect.

One thing I can suggest, is french/european wine carriers. They look like a jerry can, made of metal, but have a ceramic coating inside, and were used to carry wine (go figure, the french LOL) so are perfect for long term water storage and carry. I have seen them avaliable on a few surplus sites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online