Water purifying

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
MSR, Lifesaver, etc..... all of these seem excellent in filtering biologicals and sediment...but I fail to find anything that addresses heavy metals or chemicals / pesticides. Anyone care to chime in on that? Seems to be a equally dangerous problem...

DzlToy

Explorer
An inline carbon block filter will take care of the "bad taste" and will also remove chlorine, but they do not do well at removing heavy metals.

I use a 0.02 Absolute Sawyer for back packing and have the ability to adapt a carbon filter inline if desired. I would presume that other majour MFG would offer something similar or that one would be easily assembled.

Last edited:

JRhetts

Adventurer
MSR, Lifesaver, etc..... all of these seem excellent in filtering biologicals and sediment...but I fail to find anything that addresses heavy metals or chemicals / pesticides. Anyone care to chime in on that? Seems to be a equally dangerous problem...

Loco Coyote
The Seagull-IV filter I described and pictured earlier in post #15 in this thread does this quite thoroughly; I have used this filter for decades on both boats and land vehicles.

DzlToy

Explorer
PLEASE do not buy Lifesaver products. Get something from a reputable company such as Sawyer or Katadyn.

Like most crap/inferior products, they have a pitch or a "cause" and spend quite a bit of their efforts on advertising. Sawyer works, Katadyn works and MSR works. Lifesaver filters are not high quality products that I would trust my life to. (YMMV) Read the filter article that I linked above. Sawyer makes a 0.02 absolute filter with a bucket attachment. Use your own 5 gallon can or container. Done.

Summary

It doesn't work — we used it in Canada. Carbon filter crumbled nearly choking my 5-year-old. It leaked everywhere and we still got Diarrhea. On our return we investigated this British company, they pretend to be humanitarians but are not. Don't buy these products.

=========================

Well, I bought this item with some excitement thinking this was my answer to using chemical tablets and boiling. Was I wrong.

I read all the positive reviews and watched the videos and thought this was my answer to hiking in the wilds and minimizing weight. When I got the item I followed the instructions to the letter primed etc and noticed small deposits of carbon from the filter passing and settling at the bottom of a test glass, but put this down to it being new.

Went away for the weekend and used water from a fast flowering stream and pumped the water into my canteen. When I got to an area to camp I did the same and got water from a similar stream and pumped the water into a mess tin and found to my horror the water to have a brown tint. I boiled the water to kill off any germs as I had no other clean water, but the damage was done and I had the runs for a couple of days after. Whilst away the system just got steadily worse and leaked from both ends and the water flow was poor.

When I got home I investigated to clean out the filter etc and the carbon filter snapped of in my hand! I have quite a few mates that have done tours in Afghanistan and were issued these and they all said they didn't trust them, hence you see loads on ebay with their other kit for sale. Honestly, if you're a true outdoors type of person, avoid and save your money.

=========================

I bought this bottle 1 year ago. The first results had a strong plastic taste. After one trip outdoors the filter stopped filtering. It blocked completely. I was on a trip for a week; this you don't want in the field. So the trust in this system was damaged immediately.

I sent it back to the shop and received another one. The same issue. After one use just a few drops. I contacted the lifesaver bottle company and didn't receive any answer. So is bad service, bad function, bad taste. This bottle has also a unhandy size. It is too thick and too heavy to carry comfortably in a backpack.

The built quality is also not very durable. It is a kind of plastic that breaks when it falls, so no go for a hard job. I'm really disappointed in this product. Their marketing is much better then their product. This is sad! I bought an MSR, those systems you can trust.

One of the expedition portal threads discussed refiltering your own shower/ grey water, it seems that shower water will be your biggest useage with girls. I was a little put off initially thinking of using my own water again but then recollected that's exactly what most cities do. I am in favor of two distinct water systems. A Large quantity of washing/ general and a smaller quantity Of recently filtered drinking water, this water kept out of shower loop. Filtering your own water should allow you to carry significantly less quantity of water. 1,000 liters is a lot of weight 2,200 pounds plus tank weight.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have never met anyone with an expedition camper that has anywhere near 1000 litres of water on board. I have about 300 litres of fresh/drinking water and that is normally considered to be quite a lot.

Yeah I am usually more around 250 liters. If I'm going to be more than a week between fills I have to pay attention but otherwise works pretty well. I have filters + UV which gives me more options in where I choose to take water from.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Gawd , I'm surprised I spent all of those weeks up hiking around in a forest and survived. I carry around 28 gallons of fresh water in my FG. I have never needed all of it unless a woman was involved.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Gawd , I'm surprised I spent all of those weeks up hiking around in a forest and survived. I carry around 28 gallons of fresh water in my FG. I have never needed all of it unless a woman was involved.
There's a woman involved. We also cook real food every night and do dishes every night (no disposable plates or plastic forks here)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Karl of Oz

Observer
Hi Pugs,
Been a while since I've been on the forum. I've fitted one of these http://www.bestwaterfilters.com.au/ to my drinking water and was pretty impressed so I bought another to use when filling the tank. There is a booklet somewhere on the web site you can download that explains how this works and why it works better than other systems. It was well written but I cant find it.

I also looked at reverse osmosis units. Sounds like a bit of work to maintain filters etc but still a consideration. There are two types in Australia that might be worth you looking at: 1. http://www.rainmandesal.com/ (there are a few options/models); and the other: http://www.h2oonthego.com.au/
cheers,
Karl of Oz

MJCake1

Hi Pugs,
Been a while since I've been on the forum. I've fitted one of these http://www.bestwaterfilters.com.au/ to my drinking water and was pretty impressed so I bought another to use when filling the tank. There is a booklet somewhere on the web site you can download that explains how this works and why it works better than other systems. It was well written but I cant find it.

I also looked at reverse osmosis units. Sounds like a bit of work to maintain filters etc but still a consideration. There are two types in Australia that might be worth you looking at: 1. http://www.rainmandesal.com/ (there are a few options/models); and the other: http://www.h2oonthego.com.au/
cheers,
Karl of Oz

I have this one strictly for SHTF scenarios.
http://www.safh2ouv.com/Survivor---Survivor-2GO-Portable-Water-Purifiers.html
You won't live long without water.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I have this one strictly for SHTF scenarios......You won't live long without water.
was going to go this route at some point anyway... you just reminded me to get-er done.. so just ordered the 512 model plus a set of replacement filters and light tube for less than 300 bucks to get mounted into my habitat. Will mount it in a way so I can just unplug it and put in the house if I want.

MJCake1

was going to go this route at some point anyway... you just reminded me to get-er done.. so just ordered the 512 model plus a set of replacement filters and light tube for less than 300 bucks to get mounted into my habitat. Will mount it in a way so I can just unplug it and put in the house if I want.

Post some pics for me when you finish maybe I can get some ideas from you. Right now I'm a portable option guy just in case...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier