WATER JERRY CAN WITH TAP - BY FRONT RUNNER

fire_strom

Adventurer
front-runner-plastic-water-jerry-can-with-tap-WTAN002-1.jpg

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...-runner-plastic-water-jerry-can-with-tap.html
Anyone have any experience with these? I am mostly curious about the leaking or preferably lack of leaking at the spigot. Does the spigot thread in and sit facing down like you'd want or is it like the blue Reliance ones that pretty much always leak and never orient downward? Is it a universal thread that could be configured with a hose to a remote spigot or valve? Is there any accommodation for venting other than the fill cap to use allow air in while using the spigot?
Thanks,
-G

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have two FrontRunner cans .I like them just replace the plastic tap for a brass one.

fireball

Explorer
I have the brass tap on the bottom of ours and it works great. The top does leak when we bounce around on trails or gravel roads. It's minor but annoying. I've had it for about 4 years so perhaps a new cap with fresh seal would do the trick. Overall I'm very happy with it.

70692dcabe6d70ad9badf5676f4816c3.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Same for me. Plastic tap was less than useful, but once replaced, the design worked well. Venting was through the cap.

Front runner can - no leaks from the tap but did have to file top of the filler smooth so the cap would seat properly to eliminate that leak.

roving1

I just bought 3 of them and am less than impressed out of the box but I have not filled them up yet. I did buy one brass tap so if I have any leaks I can swap.

Well see but the quality of the plastic is not what I thought. One of my fill caps the threads are malformed. There is excessive flashing all around the injection molded edges. They wobble on level ground because the bottom is not flat or the two halves are not aligned right. Design wise this is exactly what I want but I'm already kind of wishing I just bought scepter Jerry's.

roving1

Update 1. The wobble went away with load on the plastic when filled so that is good. 2 of the three plastic taps leak. 2 of the caps leak and don't seal no matter how hard you crank on them. I will cycle the plastic taps some more to make sure they just do not need to be broken in but it's a bit crap if you have to upgrade the plastic taps to brass right out of the box to not leak. I expected the plastic versions to be less durable but not less functional when brand new.

fireball

Explorer
The front runner is so nice to use and convenient for everyone in the family to easily access. The small leak from the lid when the can is full is worth dealing with for me but would sure be nice if it didn't!

DVD

Adventurer
I got one of these 5 or 6 yrs ago when they first came out. The plastic spigot at the bottom leaked, so I contacted Front Runner to initiate a return. They sent me the brass spigot for free, and now it's only a small leak at the top when bouncing a lot (I'll have to try that filing trick in this thread - teflon tape didn't solve it). But I'd be peeved with the current model where the standard model leaks and the customer has to buy the optional, non-leaking brass spigot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles