Water Heater Repair?

Bravo30

I went to use my water heater last night for a shower. We have an Ecotemp L5 mounted on the back door of our van set up for outside showers. It was pretty cold, 22 degrees Fahrenheit. I turned the water pump on and in a few seconds there was steam and water pouring out from everywhere.
I drain the unit after each use when winter camping and we keep it mounted to the back door of the van. I’m guessing the hot water on cold pipes caused something to burst. Probably should have ran cold water first and then turned on the heat slowly. I basically sent hot water right through a cold dry system and it didn’t end well. Lesson learned. When we shower in the winter we back the van up to the fire and that helps a lot with keeping us warm.

Anybody have other tips for cold weather showers, post them.

Thanks,

DEF603F8-54CB-417E-8A01-336C59AE22EA.jpeg

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
I killed one of those the same way, years ago when they first came out. My experience was that it never gave us a steady warm/hot shower anyway, always cold/hot/cold/hot so for the $100 I spent on it I just figured lesson learned.

My plan for my next build is a stainless tank with DC element or a heat exchanger/coolant loop type set up. Big drawbacks there in space and planning always keeping a dedicated hot water tank though.

These days we are using a Nemo Helio letting it heat water during the day on shower day and then supplementing that with a couple kettles of boiling water once we set up camp. It's honestly the most reliable and easy shower we've ever had camping but it doesn't qualify as hot or endless, more like warm and be fast.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I’m not a big fan of this brand. We had one produce such hot water that it ruptured the PEX hot waterline spitting hot water everywhere. It was a new unit with a week or so use on it. The company was very difficult to deal with and it took them a while to come around to the idea I didn’t feel safe using the unit, I didn’t want a replacement , and I wanted to ship the unit back to them for a full refund.

Bravo30

I found the leak. I was able to tap it down and get it sanded. What’s the best way to go about repairing this? JB WELD or their water version JB Water Weld?

Other suggestions?

D235D6E6-0D16-47C5-8D6D-62490BEAB279.jpeg7987CF92-C858-42D4-9EA5-5B4C005982DD.jpeg808B43AF-1B08-4F0F-A001-DC0A9066FAA9.jpeg5B42BC99-4D4D-43A5-BA9A-026C409558EE.jpeg17702748-445B-4B0E-8493-A25646D63D53.jpeg

Bravo30

Interesting failure.
My L5 works great 6 years now. One thing always careful about is bleed air out of itself or supply piping before igniting.

The unit has been great for the 3 years I’ve had it. I really push it well past it’s design so this failure here lies squarely on my shoulders.

From now on I’m going to run cool water through it first before ignition. This will get the air out and also bring the piping and water up to an even temperature gradually.

Last edited:

twodollars

I've had good luck with jb weld, e en fixed a few auto ac hard lines with it. As long as the surface is clean, and it's not too cold it makes a great fix once its cured

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles