Water Heater at High Elevations

KD702

I posted this earlier in the trailer section, but thought I would post it here for the fellow DIY people......

--I am looking for any suggestions on what water heater people are having luck with at higher elevations. I have the Ecotemp L5 that I use in the midwest, but I will be spending more time at higher elevations this fall. I was speaking with someone that had the same unit as I and he said his refused to stay lit above 7000 ft. I spoke with Ecotemp and offered no solution for this problem other than "take the cover off so it can get more air". They said stepping down the orifice was not an option, and did not know if an adjustable regulator would work.

If anyone has had success with this issue I would love to hear it. If anyone has a product they have been using that works well at 5000-7000 feet let me know. I was hoping to not have to spend 2 weeks without a shower and taking a cold stream bath.

KD

Last edited:

Superduty

Adventurer
I have used the Camplux recently at 6600 ft and at 7800 ft. At 7800 ft it had a little trouble starting, but in the end it worked fine.

KD702

I have found with mine that if I hook the garden hose to it and it gets to much pressure it doesn't want to stay lit. It seems to work without a hitch when using the 12v pump.

Superduty

Adventurer
Go electric. We use a 12v boiler. As long as you have power you are good. It’s quiet, insulated and 6 litres are enough for a nice long shower. Www.expeditionupfitter.com

So, 1.6 gallons is enough for a nice long shower. We probably have different definitions of nice long shower. When I am out camping I am after a decent camping shower, so that might be enough.

Are you mixing it with cold water to result in more overall water? How long does it typically take to heat 1.6 gallons? Any idea how much power it usually consumes?

I was thinking of installing an electric heating element in my front runner water tank.....then decided against it.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
So, 1.6 gallons is enough for a nice long shower. We probably have different definitions of nice long shower. When I am out camping I am after a decent camping shower, so that might be enough.

Are you mixing it with cold water to result in more overall water? How long does it typically take to heat 1.6 gallons? Any idea how much power it usually consumes?

I was thinking of installing an electric heating element in my front runner water tank.....then decided against it.

All lot of people "imagine" or wish for a shower like at home. The reality is most times different as most don't have 200 litres of fresh water available and therefore need to watch the consumption when off grid. Then there is the grey water tank size.... This means, that a 6 later volume is just perfect. We usually heat it to 75celcius and then mix with cold. That way you are getting twice the volume. A new batch of water can take from 25 to 45 minutes to heat to max temp, all pending on how cold the water is to begin with. As far as Amps etc, best if you check out the listing. Btw, if anything in that unit needs to fixed/replaced, we have the parts on hand! So far we have sold several hundred of them and only one unit had an issue with a LCD display acting up. https://expeditionupfitter.com/collections/water-solutions/products/12-volt-water-boiler-for-camper

billiebob

We run 200amp Lithium battery power and never worry about having the boiler on. Especially as long as your solar panels are feeding back in.
I just hooked up my solar to the fridge with a tiny battery, bigger battery is ordered....
I was planning on adding propane to cook boil water etc.... Given the performance with just the fridge I'm now thinking of foregetting propane and adding an inverter and induction ciik plate. I think I'm a bit shy of power for a shower but I agree with Victorian..... and lean to a sponge bath".... and a dip in the lake. When I want/need a hot shower I'll look at a campground or motel or swimming pool, hot springs experience.

When I want a shower I want the long luxurious relaxing soak, my daily abolutions can be pretty simple.

THIS is a great option.

002 Halfway.jpg

PS on topic, boiling water at elevation....
This is pure science, white gas is the best and the only fuel carried on Everest expeditions.

Alloy

I posted this earlier in the trailer section, but thought I would post it here for the fellow DIY people......

--I am looking for any suggestions on what water heater people are having luck with at higher elevations. I have the Ecotemp L5 that I use in the midwest, but I will be spending more time at higher elevations this fall. I was speaking with someone that had the same unit as I and he said his refused to stay lit above 7000 ft. I spoke with Ecotemp and offered no solution for this problem other than "take the cover off so it can get more air". They said stepping down the orifice was not an option, and did not know if an adjustable regulator would work.

If anyone has had success with this issue I would love to hear it. If anyone has a product they have been using that works well at 5000-7000 feet let me know. I was hoping to not have to spend 2 weeks without a shower and taking a cold stream bath.

KD
At 7000' if the flame is yellow carbon will (has) plug up the spud (orfice).

Reducing the gas pressure from 11" to 8" water column might get it burning with a blue flame.

I have 2.6kw of solar and a double induction cooktop. When it's +80F I'm in the shade with no solar using a Camp Chef stove.

4000lbsOfGoat

--I am looking for any suggestions on what water heater people are having luck with at higher elevations. I have the Ecotemp L5 that I use in the midwest, but I will be spending more time at higher elevations this fall.
Have you tried using the Ecotemp at higher elevations? I have one an it has worked fine at up to 9900'. I just need to adjust the flow rates now and then. The only problem I've had is with the batteries coming loose...terrible setup there.

KD702

Have you tried using the Ecotemp at higher elevations? I have one an it has worked fine at up to 9900'. I just need to adjust the flow rates now and then. The only problem I've had is with the batteries coming loose...terrible setup there.

I personally have not yet. I have a friend that used his exact set up in WY at 9000' and said it would not stay lit. he has never had a problem prior to this. Ecotemp themselves said they are only set up for 2000' and lower.

DRAX

We have an Eccotemp L5 in our trailer and had no problems using it at over 11,000ft elevation in Colorao this summer. We used it multiple times per day for many days, the only time we had problems with it not staying lit was after the propane was turned off for a while and it just took a second try and it would light and stay lit as needed after that.

OldGreen

I use a Bosch 2.5 Gallon Point of Use electric. They come in 4 and 7 gallon versions as well. Depending on ambient temp and how hot I want the water, it takes about 30AH to heat a full tank (it draws about 130a for just under 15 minutes on the DC side of the inverter). I recently discovered that the little tank is extremely well insulated. Again, depending on ambient temp, it will stay hot for many hours (8+). My point. . .I turn it on when I leave camp and, after an hour of driving or and hour and a half of sun (Manager 30), the battery (300AH Lithium) is topped back off and I have a full tank of hot water. If it cools off a little too much, it doesn't take nearly that much juice to get it back to temp. Best part = it gives zero effs about altitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94