Water filtering

I would get the 3 housings and run a 10 micron sediment filter prior to the 0.2, it will give you great life out of the 0.2 filer. Other than that it looks good. Usually you can count on quality German goods unless they imported from China.

Any sores or body cavities are places for RO waste to attack the human body. Bathing in RO waste is just as bad a bathing in black water.

I can understand about desalination using RO and having to becareful where you dump the waste. Dumping it on land could also create a dead zone for plant life too.

One of the things we don't have in the South is clams but Crawfish are plentiful.

Yes mineral stripping does happen in RO water. That is its' major downfall. It will strip any minerals from you water system such as copper and iron and iron and magnesium from your body. You should supplement your mineral intake to correct this.

0.1 would be better at removing the bacteria and yes UV would kill the critters but the water must be clean for the UV to be effective. Also you need a sediment filter before the 0.1 or 0.2 filter or you will get short lifetime use from the filter.

I am not a fan of Berkey Filters. I think for what they do and how they filter they are overrated. Berkey will not publish data on their filter effectiveness.
Their filter is mainly a charcoal or ceramic and charcoal filter. Does nothing more than just remove the sediment from the water and improve the taste. It will not remove bacteria and viruses. Some say it uses Silver to purify the water. This is Bull as there is no actual proof that silver is effective.

If you want simple and easy to use in a compact package check out Sawyer line of filters. Yes they have mostly turned to personal use filters like water bottles and they center around hikers. They still produce their 0.1 and 0.02 filters. These filters can be used either in a gravity drip type setup or a pressure usage. They can filter 170 gallons a day in a gravity system. The mistake most users make with Sawyer filters is they must be primed with water before use. RTFD is important before using Sawyer filters. Read The Friggin Directions

Here is what the Sawyer 0.02 can do for you:
With its 0.02 micron absolution filtration, the Point ZeroTwo goes one step beyond Sawyer’s MINI and Point ONE filters to remove 99.997% of viruses in addition to 99.99999% of bacteria and 99.9999% of protozoa/cysts.

One thing I do that helps extend filter life when drawing water from streams is use cheap coffee filters covering the end of the pickup. You would be surprised how much garbage this removes before it reaches the filter. Some have reported using women's panty hose as a prefilter. I have a hard time explaining to the wife on why I need panty hose.

The PDFs of the results from the lab are all downloadable at the bottom of the page.
https://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-answers/performance/filtration-specifications/

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
There are lots of ways to do this, but most tend to overthink it a bit.

-- Chlorine in the tank (bleach) - this is what your city water system does.
-- Filter the results to remove particles and improve taste - there are any number of filters that will even remove cysts.
-- Always take from the best source available, typically city water.

There are other, higher tech solutions, but this has worked for a (mostly) healthy lifetime in the Third World. ;)

Chorky

Observer
There are lots of ways to do this, but most tend to overthink it a bit.

-- Chlorine in the tank (bleach) - this is what your city water system does.
-- Filter the results to remove particles and improve taste - there are any number of filters that will even remove cysts.
-- Always take from the best source available, typically city water.

There are other, higher tech solutions, but this has worked for a (mostly) healthy lifetime in the Third World. ;)

I agree here, mostly. I think simple multi stage (maybe 5) filtering pre and post tank in combination with chlorine or UV (possibly just in the tank itself). RO seems cool and fancy and all, but too complex and slow. I imagine not wanting to spend a day to fill up a tank. After all, what do you do when camping? Typically use a backpacking filter which doesn't get everything either - I've (crossing my fingers) never been sick so far. I think wells offer the biggest cause for concern of contamination. I would even take surface stream water and draw it over a well - the place I'm currently at has very suspect well water due to recent floods, so I only use it for bathing and cleaning. I have also found some city water to be quite bad also though, so I suppose one would have to consider the physical location of said 'city' and pay attention to the residence. I think the real question comes down to preference of filtering pre or post storage tank.

nathane

Thanks folks. I've pretty much landed on 8 l per minute 0.2 micron filter on the tank inlet plus carbon. 40 minutes for a full fill. I can live with that. Then UV after the tank.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree that treating stored water with chlorine is a great safety measure. I would not recommend liquid bleach. Liquid bleach is nothing but diluted chlorine that once opened and exposed to air will lose strength. Best method is use tablets. Tablets have a useable shelf life of 5 years. They must be stored in a plastic container as they are corrosive. I like AquaTabs as these are the most economical and can be purchased in bulk.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Aqua Tabs are slick (I've used them), but laundry beach is available anywhere in the Third World.

There is nothing simple about a five stage filter.

-- Chlorine kills the crawlies, and,
-- Filter kills the taste.

Chorky

Observer
I agree that treating stored water with chlorine is a great safety measure. I would not recommend liquid bleach. Liquid bleach is nothing but diluted chlorine that once opened and exposed to air will lose strength. Best method is use tablets. Tablets have a useable shelf life of 5 years. They must be stored in a plastic container as they are corrosive. I like AquaTabs as these are the most economical and can be purchased in bulk.
Haha I was thinking the same thing. I usually use bleach to sanitize the RV tank twice a year, but only using a fresh new (small) bottle. Those AquaTabs are cool, but never actually used any, just have them for backpacking and emergencies.

Aqua Tabs are slick (I've used them), but laundry beach is available anywhere in the Third World.

There is nothing simple about a five stage filter.

-- Chlorine kills the crawlies, and,
-- Filter kills the taste.

Curious why you say a multi-stage filter isn't simple? It seems more simple than a RO system, easier to maintain, and possibly quicker water movement. Or am I missing something? After all I only use one carbon filter for the RV right now (not for consumption though). I would have assumed that a multi staged filter system would be relatively simple, and only need replacement every 3-6 months depending. I'm assuming at that point you would suggest just chlorinating everything, and a carbon filter after for taste and sediment? Just curious here. I would also assume that AquaTabs would work the same as bleach, and taste can be filtered with the carbon?

Thanks folks. I've pretty much landed on 8 l per minute 0.2 micron filter on the tank inlet plus carbon. 40 minutes for a full fill. I can live with that. Then UV after the tank.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Awesome! Let us know how it works out for you and update with pics! Are you considering a water draw feature also, or is this just inline with filling from a city source? Water draw is in my plans, but haven't figured out the pumping part yet.

nathane

Yes we will have a water draw option so there will be a larger debris filters before the main system on the pick up, if nothing else to protect the pick up pump.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Curious why you say a multi-stage filter isn't simple? It seems more simple than a RO system, easier to maintain, and possibly quicker water movement. Or am I missing something? After all I only use one carbon filter for the RV right now (not for consumption though). I would have assumed that a multi staged filter system would be relatively simple, and only need replacement every 3-6 months depending. I'm assuming at that point you would suggest just chlorinating everything, and a carbon filter after for taste and sediment? Just curious here. I would also assume that AquaTabs would work the same as bleach, and taste can be filtered with the carbon?.

Just a matter of plumbing up more filters and the space required. There are some single canister, multi-stage filters out there, however.

My current truck uses this: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...r-System-3MFF100/?N=5002385+3291866133&rt=rud

Not the result of any research that I did, but what the manufacturer specified. My last truck had a Culligan filter. Doing it again, I would try to use something that was available at common US suppliers like Camping World or Lowes.

AquaTabs are just a dry medium for chlorine. Back in the day, I used a British product called Steritabs.

My only point is that this doesn't have to be as expensive as some may think. Chlorine in the tank and a filter to clean up.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

I would like a RO system but in a camper I think it takes too long, with too much power, too much bulk and cost is not small. If I wanted to park for weeks by a remote beach then a very good idea though.

We had blind faith in a three stage Pre-Mac filter while my wife spent about two weeks on the loo in Southern Morocco. We thought she'd eaten something. We later discovered that more than likely the over extracted and slightly saline ground water was probably the cause. AFAIK you would need RO to get any degree of saline out? The locals all used bottled water in M'Hamid for drinking as far as we saw and were told. There was a fresh water tanker delivery every now again for the town, but filling our camper tank with which we would shower etc would not go down very well. Similarly, for somewhere with so little water, just discarding the waste that RO produces would be fairly insensitive.

A high content of limestone deposit possibly upsets the same way according to a more recent discussion, which was solved by a small pore size ceramic filter.

In our last camper we had about 270l in one tank. This was always tap water, but that didn't always mean clean!
Katadyn Micro Pur Forte was added to every fill (50,000 litres worth in powder form is only a mug sized tub with a reasonable lifespan). Even if chlorinated drinking water was added to the tank every time, chlorine evaporates once out of the mains system, and to some extent dregs will always be left from the last fill, so the Micro Pur I think maintained a clean tank. Not every country has the strength written on a liquid bleach bottle to know how much to add even if it's fresh and hasn't been warm. Bleach tablets are better than liquid, but Micro Pur Forte is better again!

We then showered and cooked with whatever we'd filled with, and three stage filtered drinking only. The coarse filter in the vid attached was used only when "tap" water wasn't really. We could have filled with several pre-filters from a stream for instance but never needed to. If we were remote enough to need to do that occasionally then I think creating a volume to regularly shower from is a bit daft, and filtering/purifying enough to drink from pretty much any level of pollution is doable more easily at smaller scale. eg millbank bag then MSR Guardian then maybe a Brita jug.

Next camper I don't think we'd have iodene in the filter system due to coincidental (?) thyroid problems on return, I think we'd keep a separate water store untouched for "just in case", we'd have the facility to fill a drinking water tank from bought bottled water if it was occasionally needed, and continue with filtered drinking plus Micro Pur throughout.

IIRC Milton tablets can be used to lightly chlorinate for drinking at 1 tablet per 100 litres if it's already clean, maintenance only.

Whatever you treat with, if you do, you need to know roughly how much water you are putting in for dosage.

Next time I'm not sure what filter to use yet though. Maybe a Seagull each for kitchen and bathroom, and an MSR Guardian as backup.

Also, pre-filtering mains water before it gets into your tank will not happen in Europe unless you find somewhere with your own tap. Campsites and campervan stopovers will have a queue on departure as it is. A 40 minute fill will have you forcibly ejected :)

ronaldos

I use iSpring WGB21B for my whole house. After installing this filter our water is so much better. Our water is free of strange odors.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz