Water container with spigot/hose

shu2kill

Hey. I have been looking for a water tank to put in the cargo rack i am making for above the spare on my jeep.

I would like not having to load/unload it while full, so, I need it to have the filling port on top, and a way to attach a hose on the bottom. Something like this:

tank.jpg

This way i could put it on the rack, tie it down with ratchet straps, and then fill with the garden hose.

So far, i have had no luck finding such container.

I found this one, but i am not sure the vent port on the left is big enough to fix a hose on it.

1914969.jpg

Has anyone found somethis similar?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If you Google RV water tanks, there are hundreds of sizes out there from a bunch of manufacturers. A lot of them are somewhat translucent, so subject to algae growth if you leave water in them for long periods. If you clean and dry the tank between trips, there shouldn't be a problem. When I needed a water tank for the roof rack on my truck, I looked at everything out there and finally just built one from 6" white PVC pipe. Put a saddle fitting on top so I could fill from a bucket, and a boiler drain on the bottom for gravity feed to a bidet hose with a little trigger and a spray nozzle. You may not need to worry about fitting a hose to the vent on your tank, because with a plastic quick connect from Home Depot you can just connect the hose to the boiler drain, open the vent and turn on the water until it blows out the vent. You know you are full even if you can't see the water level. Turn off the hose and disconnect, no leakage because you close the boiler drain before you unsnap the hose. Put a matching quick connect on the bidet hose and you can set up your sprayer in ten seconds.

FWIW, my first PVC tank was 18 gallons and it proved to be just too heavy for the rack system at high speeds on bumpy terrain. I built a second one that is simpler (lighter) and holds almost 13 gallons, worked out much better.

shu2kill

If you Google RV water tanks, there are hundreds of sizes out there from a bunch of manufacturers. A lot of them are somewhat translucent, so subject to algae growth if you leave water in them for long periods. If you clean and dry the tank between trips, there shouldn't be a problem. When I needed a water tank for the roof rack on my truck, I looked at everything out there and finally just built one from 6" white PVC pipe. Put a saddle fitting on top so I could fill from a bucket, and a boiler drain on the bottom for gravity feed to a bidet hose with a little trigger and a spray nozzle. You may not need to worry about fitting a hose to the vent on your tank, because with a plastic quick connect from Home Depot you can just connect the hose to the boiler drain, open the vent and turn on the water until it blows out the vent. You know you are full even if you can't see the water level. Turn off the hose and disconnect, no leakage because you close the boiler drain before you unsnap the hose. Put a matching quick connect on the bidet hose and you can set up your sprayer in ten seconds.

FWIW, my first PVC tank was 18 gallons and it proved to be just too heavy for the rack system at high speeds on bumpy terrain. I built a second one that is simpler (lighter) and holds almost 13 gallons, worked out much better.

that was my first option as well, a 6" PVC pipe, about 3 feet long, would hold almost 5 gallons, which would be enough for my needs... But after taking measurements, i decided i need to put the tank on the side of the rack. Putting the 6" pipe on the rear part of the rack, would make it extend way too far behind the spare tire, which i dont like.

and i checked the ones onf fruntrunner, but i have not found exactly what i need... i guess i will end up using the blue one i posted on the original post, but horizontally. I could plug a hose to the vent, and maybe add a radiator drain to the main cap to use as a vent. This way i could fill it on the main hole with a hose with the tank in place.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Note the blue hose on the left. Hose is from a Camelbak fitted with a barb fitting to a 3.5 gal water brick. This is a free flow set with nothing to fail and super efficient with water usage. I have several other sources when there is a volume need but for most task this works.

20181228_173601.jpg

shu2kill

thanx.

I ended up getting a Scepter water tank from Academy, and added a small valve valve on the vent port.

tan.jpg

Thats why i needed the tank with a fill port on top and a valve on the bottom, to use it without removing it from the base. It is in a perfect location for cooking

cocina.jpg

shu2kill

Tailgate table info request

as basically everything in my jeep, the table is also homemade.

it is just a piano hinge with a plywood board, to which i put a sheet of the same cover found in kitchens, and an aluminium angle as a frame. I then added some stickers, because it looked like a white marker board.

mes.jpg

What makes the table unique, is that it needs no latch or anything to hold it in place. The same strut that holds it deployed, serves to hold it stowed. For this, i made an aluminium piece to separate the lower base of the strut from the talgate. This way, when the table is stowed, the strut pushes the table against the door. It doesnt rattles or vibrates, and to use it all you have to do it pull it down. To store, just push it upwards.

mesa2.jpg

mesa.jpg

dr_r2r

Observer
Bought a sunjoe portable sprayer in Ebay for $40. Holds 5 gallons as compared to a waterport that holds around 4 and has a built in rechargeable sprayer.

alia176

Explorer
I did this using a coffee dispenser spigot thing for potable water. I highly suggest using a FDA approved spigot, not a brass unit from Ace hardware! If this is for non potable use, may not matter as much.

For non-potable water, I have this water bladder from AUS under the platform with a hose https://www.ebay.com/itm/WATER-BLAD...795276&hash=item4412fabc85:g:1mwAAOSwc0lcl3tn

You can make out the hose coming out from under the platform in the pic. Follow it up and you'll see the spigot is hung up at the headrest. It's a simple hand or dish washing station with a pivoting work surface that slides out of view.

One thing to note about using a bladder vs a hard sided container. You get way less sloshing in a bladder because it implodes into itself as you use up the water. Less volume = less sloshing. YMMV.519849519857519858519860

Last edited:

jgaz

Adventurer
I did this using a coffee dispenser spigot thing for potable water. I highly suggest using a FDA approved spigot, not a brass unit from Ace hardware! If this is for non potable use, may not matter as much.

For non-potable water, I have this water bladder from AUS under the platform with a hose https://www.ebay.com/itm/WATER-BLAD...795276&hash=item4412fabc85:g:1mwAAOSwc0lcl3tn

You can make out the hose coming out from under the platform in the pic. Follow it up and you'll see the spigot is hung up at the headrest. It's a simple hand or dish washing station with a pivoting work surface that slides out of view.

One thing to note about using a bladder vs a hard sided container. You get way less sloshing in a bladder because it implodes into itself as you use up the water. Less volume = less sloshing. YMMV.View attachment 519849View attachment 519857View attachment 519858View attachment 519860
I like your little pull out shelf. Clever idea!

jeegro

Adventurer
I got a Wavian water jerry can - great quality. It has a standard 3/4" garden hose outlet on the bottom that I put a quarter-turn valve and GHT quick connector on. I wish the outlet was metal, like the FrontRunner tank, but it's working so far. I can use it as a gravity spout, or hook it into my onboard water pump / hot water system quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Wavian-USA-3216-Heavy-Grade/dp/B01F7C0SFC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2Z9TYAACJT08P&keywords=wavian+water+can&qid=1559780491&s=gateway&sprefix=wavian+water,aps,187&sr=8-2

valve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0UGNXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

quick connector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SDUU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

D

Deleted member 96197

Another Option.
Expensive, but easily removed and pressurized. This is what I use for non-drinking water. Still kinda new to me, but I like as much of my weight as low as possible. Mine is hitch mounted, although several people have put these on roof racks.

another_mike

Adventurer

View attachment 519849
Think im going to do this to one of my 10L scepters. Have you ever had any leaking from the spigot? I worry maybe changes in temperature or altitude would start a leak that would go unnoticed until its too late.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I put a spout on a Scepter Military water can. When I had water on the roof , I would refill it from there now I either refill it from the internal tank or with gallon jugs from the store. The Camco water nozzle controls the water nicely521202521203521204

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94