Water bladder maintenance

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I've never used a water bladder but am considering going that route now.
Cleanliness has always been the turn-off for me though.
How do you keep them clean?
Do you just rinse and fill up each time?
Is it a consumable that you just chuck away after the umpteenth use?

Can a regular camelbak user please enlighten me to the pros, cons, and maintenance of these things?

Fanks

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
freeze it

I always empty it and throw it in the freezer after use... not much grows when frozen.

I have kept the same bladder for years. hth

rambrush

Adventurer
The bladder is food grade and is pretty good on staying clean. I have the small brush to run down the drinking tube and also the spreader to go inside so it can dry out. I take the bite valve off of course to clean the tube and then keep it off until the next use.
I always use water in mine but some use mixed sports mixes and they may cause more growth.
My old 1st generation model had a smaller opening to put water in and it was not real user friendly the newer version has a good size opening to allow better cleaning

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have used them for years with no problem as long as you rinse them out when you get back and keep them open to air dry. I never thought about the idea of freezing it, sound slike an interesting idea.

About every 3 uses, I filled mine up with water and a little bleach to sanitize the inside and the drinking tube. Let stand for 24 hours then drain and dry. ready for next use.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I've got several and use a CamelBack Cleaning Kit. This kit allows the bladder to be hung upside-down for drying. Does a great job.

1182537.jpg

I've ruined a few by not being so diligent in cleaning them, such as when I've had Gatorade in them. The sugar or sugar-substitute promotes mold/mildew growth if it isn't cleaned with soap and water and then allowed to dry.

I now use these CamelBack Tablets instead of Gatorade and haven't had any problems. Personally I think they also taste beter and not as "sweet" as Gatorade.
01c6be9a-b8d9-4c8e-9d84-5d0892f861bd.jpg

phatman

Observer
camelbak testing

here is a cool video of the camelbak testing grounds. some people think they aren't durable. oh here's one more on how to clean.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I only buy the 100 oz. size bladders as I tend to go through a lot of fluid. I usually pour a 64 oz. Poweraid/Gatoraid bottle in, and then top off with water (kills off that sticky sweetness). If it is expected to be a particularly hot ride I'll trim that back to a ~50/50 mix.

I have frozen a partly consumed bladder of my normal mixture when I didn't have time to immediately clean it. The only times that I've had growth is when I forget to do something, anything, with the bladder. I've had to toss a couple as I didn't think that I'd get them sanitary enough. My normal rinse is to first drain the bladder, then fill with hot water and drain at least 1/2 of the bladder through the bite valve before removing it.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I've never used a water bladder but am considering going that route now.
Cleanliness has always been the turn-off for me though.
How do you keep them clean?
Do you just rinse and fill up each time?
Is it a consumable that you just chuck away after the umpteenth use?

Can a regular camelbak user please enlighten me to the pros, cons, and maintenance of these things?

Fanks

You can flush them with a bi carb solution or you can use tank sanitisers available at caravan acc shops. Keeping them full and well used is the best policy

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I keep mine in the freezer, with one of the Camelbak "bladder hangers" to keep the thing from freezing to itself.

Best way I have found to clean it, is run about 1tsp of bleach in it, with some water to kill everything, then run a few TBSP of bi-carb to kill the bleach/plastic flavor. Rinse thoroughly with water and you are good.

If it has been sitting for a while, I rinse and freeze, no bleach/bi-carb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94