Water alternative to the gerry can

skip371

Observer
This was suggested to me by another contributor, im terrible about finding thing here:)
These 10L bags are tuff and fill easily. Best they fit anywhere. I will be now traveling with 30L that fit easily behind my seats .
9d6bf44f95058129e68acfe74e0e56a0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampStewart

Observer
They may not be very sexy but what is wrong with the 5gal plastic water bottles used on coolers and available everywhere?

MattL

Adventurer
I use a bladder which I can hang anywhere for hand washing etc, and carry additional 1-gal plastic bottles for drinking water. Bladders are so much more efficient than massive water bottles b/c as you empty them you're not left with the cavity of air taking up space.

thebmrust

A 20L scepter (jerry can) is $40-$70 (depending on source).
The MSR 4L $40, 6L $45, 10L $59 (at REI).
FrontRunner bladder is $77 (replacement liner $13).

I personally would probably lean towards a scepter style if they can be found at $40. Not too worried about the space they take up if your packing water in (reducing cubic feet of fear packing out isn't a high priority to me).

A positive: bladders can fit in odd places. They can be hung from objects easy with the grommets.

But handling a 27L (60 pound) flexible bag of water can't be very fun either. Entertaining yes, enjoyable, maybe not. LOL

CampStewart

Observer
Think about the size and weight then reply again.

They weigh less than a pound empty and the snout extends maybe 4 inches above the main tank. Other than a bladder what other vessels weigh less and take up less space? What other vessels are cheaper or easier to find? What other vessels can be easily exchanged? If you are concerned about durability than sleeve them in the plastic crates.

Reactions: MCX

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Check gun shows for Scepter cans for $20.00 The Front Runner bladder is difficult to deal with and wasteful to get the water out

Rockey709

very off the beaten path, but i was looking at my pool umbrella and noticed that the "weighted base" was just 4 flat water containers that are leak-proof, heavy duty and have a nice handle. I'm not sure of the capacity, but ive already caniblized them as spare water for washing, dishes etc. They are black too, so leave them in the sun and you have warm-HOT water by days end.

https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp...ella-plastic-free-standing-base-frpk2056.html

This was suggested to me by another contributor, im terrible about finding thing here:)
These 10L bags are tuff and fill easily. Best they fit anywhere. I will be now traveling with 30L that fit easily behind my seats .
9d6bf44f95058129e68acfe74e0e56a0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any funky bag taste to the water if they sit in the sun?

I've tried the old Swiss Army bags and the taste can be horrible

huachuca

Adventurer
They weigh less than a pound empty and the snout extends maybe 4 inches above the main tank. Other than a bladder what other vessels weigh less and take up less space? What other vessels are cheaper or easier to find? What other vessels can be easily exchanged? If you are concerned about durability than sleeve them in the plastic crates.

Three and five gallon Primo bottles have worked for me for several years. When empty, they're carried in the same space as when full.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have a old MSR dromedary bag from the 80s I used when I bicycle toured all the time they are great

my scepter cans though have never tasted bad never leaked etc.. so are still my main choice

1Goodbeer

I love the portability of the MSR bags. The biggest issues Ive had are the Water is never cold!!!!! The black bag keeps it warm/hot and in the summer is not fun to drink! Ive used plastic jerry can type water jugs and almost all of them have worn holes in them from rubbing and miles of dirt roads. I have been using 5gal stainless steel Cornelius soda kegs. They are super durable and i have made fittings to work with my camp sink. I use a bike pump to pressurize the kegs and push the water out. I have even made a heat exchanger that i dunk in my boil pot that will provide hot fresh water as well. It works really good and is super durable. And yes a bit heavier then plastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles