Watches.......the other type!

perterra

Adventurer
I own 3 Citizen Eco Drives, One is a Military styled watch with a stop watch and 24hr hands I have owned it for about 22+ years and I also have one of their Perpetual Calender signature series and one other, The worst one might gain 10-15 seconds a month at the most, I did the Rolex thing, I waited a lot of years to buy it and when I got it it turned out to be a POS, 4 times I took it back to the Factory and it would never keep even close to good time, I will never buy another one, I also bought a few Breitling watches which are grossly over priced for what they are, Omega are the only good everyday watch when it comes to Swiss Brands,

My Citizen Perpetual Calender will knock spots off any of the above brands and It never needs a Battery or suffer from any of the issues that come with Automatic watches, And it hasn't gained 10 seconds in the past 4 or 5 Months,

This is the same as mine although they make 2 other versions.

View attachment 693924

I wouldnt say knock the spots off of all of the above, I mentioned plenty of quartz that are equal and have an old COSC Omega quartz that is almost 40 years old and holds a couple seconds a year. My $40 Casio runs with most quartz regardless of the price, but there is a difference in a high end mechanical or a lower to mid level quartz. If accuracy and toughness is all you require, a $50 G Shock will fill the bill nicely.

Different stokes for different folks, some want a Honda, some want a Mercedes and some are happy with a Kia.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I wouldnt say knock the spots off of all of the above, I mentioned plenty of quartz that are equal and have an old COSC Omega quartz that is almost 40 years old and holds a couple seconds a year. My $40 Casio runs with most quartz regardless of the price, but there is a difference in a high end mechanical or a lower to mid level quartz. If accuracy and toughness is all you require, a $50 G Shock will fill the bill nicely.

Different stokes for different folks, some want a Honda, some want a Mercedes and some are happy with a Kia.
Back on new years eve 1999 I bought the Quartz Omega Seamater and it was a Very Good watch, the only downside is having to get the battery changed, Where as that Citizen will run for 180 days in pitch black darkness or it can put it's self in to power save mode for "5 Years" and as soon as it is exposed to light it will power it's self up and set it's self to the correct time and date, It even knows when there is a leap year, Even how the hands move is unique,

Apart from all the above the best thing about it is that it requires no fuss or 3rd party involment,

Where as I once owned a Seiko and I wanted a new glass fitted and they refused to do it unless I had it serviced so against my will I agreed, 3 weeks later they phoned and told me my watch was ready so I went to the store to collect it and when I got there they tried to give me a watch that looked like it had been through a shreader where the Case was so badly beated up, And the Numbers did not match, Then they tried to Tell me that The Serial Numbers I had did not exist Yet when I gave them my Watch they wrote the numbers down and double checked them and then Gave them to me to double check as did my Mrs, So someone else got my Watch and I got Nothing, My Rolex was a Mega PIA and 3 times I took it back to the Factory in 4 weeks because every time they corrected it within 24 hours it would loose or Gain 3 and 1/2+ minutes per day depending on what "IT" wanted to do that particular Day.

I have never had a single Issue with any Citizen Watch I have owned and I still have all 3 of them.

perterra

Adventurer
Back on new years eve 1999 I bought the Quartz Omega Seamater and it was a Very Good watch, the only downside is having to get the battery changed, Where as that Citizen will run for 180 days in pitch black darkness or it can put it's self in to power save mode for "5 Years" and as soon as it is exposed to light it will power it's self up and set it's self to the correct time and date, It even knows when there is a leap year, Even how the hands move is unique,

Apart from all the above the best thing about it is that it requires no fuss or 3rd party involment,

Where as I once owned a Seiko and I wanted a new glass fitted and they refused to do it unless I had it serviced so against my will I agreed, 3 weeks later they phoned and told me my watch was ready so I went to the store to collect it and when I got there they tried to give me a watch that looked like it had been through a shreader where the Case was so badly beated up, And the Numbers did not match, Then they tried to Tell me that The Serial Numbers I had did not exist Yet when I gave them my Watch they wrote the numbers down and double checked them and then Gave them to me to double check as did my Mrs, So someone else got my Watch and I got Nothing, My Rolex was a Mega PIA and 3 times I took it back to the Factory in 4 weeks because every time they corrected it within 24 hours it would loose or Gain 3 and 1/2+ minutes per day depending on what "IT" wanted to do that particular Day.

I have never had a single Issue with any Citizen Watch I have owned and I still have all 3 of them.

The qualities you mention are not exclusive to any one brand of watch. Ive never had an issue with my G Shock or my Oris, these two in the photo take a back seat to none, the Seiko on the right I bought in June of 1981, 40 years with one service, the one on the left is a Seiko Kinetic, bought in Feb 2015 and other than date changes and year time settings, I have done nothing but wear it,

If you think your Citizens are the best, then they are certainly the best for you, but I wouldnt say they are the best for everybody.

20211124_074403.jpg

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The qualities you mention are not exclusive to any one brand of watch. Ive never had an issue with my G Shock or my Oris, these two in the photo take a back seat to none, the Seiko on the right I bought in June of 1981, 40 years with one service, the one on the left is a Seiko Kinetic, bought in Feb 2015 and other than date changes and year time settings, I have done nothing but wear it,

If you think your Citizens are the best, then they are certainly the best for you, but I wouldnt say they are the best for everybody.

20211124_074403.jpg
I have 3 of the one on the right, Still boxed waiting for a good home, never worn all with rubber straps, One black, One Orange and one with the Blue and red Bezel,

I just prefer Citizen because they have the accuracy of Quartz while never needing a battery like an Automatic. because they are Solar powered.

perterra

Adventurer
I have 3 of the one on the right, Still boxed waiting for a good home, never worn all with rubber straps, One black, One Orange and one with the Blue and red Bezel,

I just prefer Citizen because they have the accuracy of Quartz while never needing a battery like an Automatic. because they are Solar powered.

Maybe they were similar to the one on the right, but the 6309-7049 was never made in any other color than what you see and made from 1976 to 1988 and discontinued at that point. The one on the right is suwa made and assembled in Japan which lasted until the end of 1980.

I'm not knocking the Citizen, but they arent for everybody anymore than a G Shock is for everybody. There are people who dont need a watch for any reason other than to tell time and there are people who appreciate the craftsmanship in a time piece, and there are people who just look at their cell phone when they want to know the time.

Last edited:

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Ever notice how Timex ads are always at 10 past 10... plus 30ish seconds...

View attachment 693469

Then theres this from 1992..

and this

Most watch companies photograph their watches at either 10:10, 1:50, or 4:40, 7:20. It's so you can see all the writing on the dial in the photograph.

From Omega's website:

From Rolex's:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Maybe they were similar to the one on the right, but the 6309-7049 was never made in any other color than what you see and made from 1976 to 1988 and discontinued at that point. The one on the right is suwa made and assembled in Japan which lasted until the end of 1980.

I'm not knocking the Citizen, but they arent for everybody anymore than a G Shock is for everybody. There are people who dont need a watch for any reason other than to tell time and there are people who appreciate the craftsmanship in a time piece, and there are people who just look at their cell phone when they want to know the time.
I bought my Seiko like yours in December 1977 from Heathrow Duty Free Shop, And mine was Black just like yours.

I like Citizen because they do their job with the least possible fuss, I also have one of the first Suunto Compass watches bought in to the Country which is about 23/24 years old, I think I bought it around 96/97 ??

Trail Talk

This one is not quartz, not accurate, not large, not easy to find someone qualified to service it, and not cheap.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 2.08.37 PM.png

It is more than 65 years old, it still works, it has a mechanical marvel inside, and someday it will pass to my children.

1001.png

zb39

Adventurer
I bought my Rolex Submariner 24 years ago. $2300. It stays on no matter what I'm doing. I sent it in for service once. Came back looking like new. It barely survived my motorcycle accident. Sent it in then also. Came back like new but it should have for the 6K price. My ins covered it. It has been covered in oil, beat on, rocks, you name it. It is a tool for me. It has scratches on it except the crystal, that thing can't be scratched, not by me. It keeps great time and I love it. I'm shocked at how expensive they are now. Crazy times.

ITTOG

I have a rolex and three or four other watches that have been collecting dust in a safe for the past decade or more.

The_Squid

I just bought a Timex Expedition North mechanical (hand wind) watch as a beater for camping and fishing. It’s relatively small and thin (38mm case width) with 100m water resistance and sapphire crystal. I wanted a watch with a field style dial, so very legible and easy to read. I’ve been impressed so far.

Its nice that it fits under the sleeve jacket without getting caught. I don’t even notice that it’s there.

I put a B&R elasticize strap on it, rather than the thick faux leather band that came with it.

E7F295AF-A605-45BC-A685-53AACDCFCFC3.jpeg

ramblinChet

If you own one, which one?
Collecting luxury watches is one of my hobbies.

Why did you go with that brand and features?
Different brands, watches, and movements, have different histories. Each one has a unique story to tell yet each one is equally important. It's like having a harem of beautiful young ladies, you love them all and enjoy time with each, but each one is special in their own way.

If mechanical/self winding has it been reliable?
Considering the hundreds of micro-machined pieces and the fact that most can operate in environments where humans are not able to live, I would say they are reliable.

How often do you have it serviced/cleaned and cost?
Most movements require servicing every 5-10 years or so. Cleanings usually range from several hundred, to several thousand, dollars.

How rugged is it and can it handle abuse?
This depends upon your definition of abuse. These are delicate machines that can operate from the deepest depths of the ocean into outer space. They are not designed to be banged and knocked around though. These are fine instruments.

Would you buy it again?
Of course.

What's your plan for it in the future?
Continuously add to my harem with newer, younger, prettier, and more interesting selections for me.

Do you buy vintage or new? Why?
Me personally, I always purchase brand new from an authorized dealer. Make sure you do also and keep your box and papers.

Any other advice when moving into this level of watches?
Take your time, attend local events, talk with different dealers, join a forum, and learn more. After some time, you will begin to understand why Jaeger-LeCoultre are considered "the watchmaker's watchmaker" throughout the industry, while Cartier was called "the jeweller of kings and the king of jewellers" by King Edward VII of Great Britain.

Also, do not permit price to get in the way of you purchasing the best watch for you. There are hundreds of wonderful examples that range from $1,000 to well beyond $1,000,000 so don't focus on price. When you wear your wonderful piece, wear it for you and you alone. In reality, 99.997% of people will have no understanding of what the A. Lange & Söhne on your wrist means to you and who cares anyway? This is something for you to enjoy and maybe pass on to a son.

One final note - just because you have the money does not mean that you are able to buy the watch. If you desire the very special ones, you build relationships with authorized dealers, and if you are really lucky, you get the call you have been waiting years to receive...and that Omega with Snoopy on it now becomes yours...

Enjoy the trip :)

Last edited:

Mtpisgah

This depends upon your definition of abuse. These are delicate machines that can operate from the deepest depths of the ocean into outer space. They are not designed to be banged and knocked around though. These are fine instruments.

I broke the crystal on my Patek one weekend at Windrock. Oops.
Since then, I wear my Rolex or Enicar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles