Watches.......the other type!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I looked through the Expo Watch conversation
and didn't find what I was looking for since it was limited to $150, so I thought I'd ask about the other types of watches such as: Breitling, Omega, Rolex, etc.....

If you own one, which one?
Why did you go with that brand and features?
If mechanical/self winding has it been reliable?
How often do you have it serviced/cleaned and cost?
How rugged is it and can it handle abuse?
Would you buy it again?
What's your plan for it in the future?
Do you buy vintage or new? Why?
Any other advice when moving into this level of watches? (except don't buy it on the streets of New York, already did that one!)

Last edited:

kwill

Observer
I've worn a Fortis Official Cosmonaut for several years. Had it serviced a year or so ago and it is +/- 2-3 seconds/day. I have had other mechanical watches (Sinn, Glycine) but this Fortis is great.

jadmt

ignore button user
I literally have not worn a watch since June 1st 2020 not sure if I ever will again. But I have citizens eco drive and Casio G-shock that have served me well over the years and I am hard on watches.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I've been wearing Citizen Eco-Drives since 2006. Prior to that, it was exclusively Seikos. The Eco-Drives are solid watches that can be had for under $150. all day long.
I've only had one problem. A pin fell out of the band after about 5 years of abuse and it was something like $75. to repair it. So I just bought a new watch. The only time I've fiddled with them is to change the date.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I literally have not worn a watch since June 1st 2020 not sure if I ever will again. But I have citizens eco drive and Casio G-shock that have served me well over the years and I am hard on watches.

LOL......yep, that was one of my retirement goals to never wear a watch again......It's gone well since 2012 but, it seems like I'm busier now with more and more meetings and I've found I keep needing to check the time. I've had several automatic Seiko dive watches, Casios, etc....and enjoyed them and they worked well in my past life where a watch could/would get destroyed. Now, just interested in something different, rugged, interesting and most likely the last watch I'll have. Cheers.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I'd be interested in investing in some vintage quality watches perhaps but have yet to adequately geek out on them - when I 'dress up' I take out my Seiko auto dive watch in Pepsi flavor, give it a shake and a set, and it just keeps rockin' after quite a few years and zero service. Paid $300 new I think?

The Grand Seikos look really nice - perhaps the sheer amount of handwork on them will lead to good appreciation in the future?

Every time Apple comes out with a new series I buy one used on craigslist and try it out and sell it a few weeks later. Series 6 is still not compelling although I could see down the road the health monitoring could be ready for prime time and about the only thing that would keep me wearing a watch all the time.

How about just using your phone and investing in a watch fund instead? lol

Last edited:

Trail Talk

Great idea for a thread! I've been a watch idiot savant (WIS) for many years; a hobby that can be exhilarating, frustrating, or both at once. My adventure watch has been the German brand SINN. Mechanical of course, with some helpful technical features such as 500m diving-certified, antimagnetic, low-temperature oils, Argon gas-filled case with copper-sulphate capsule to absorb moisture, all wrapped in a stainless steel case. Crown on the left is their signature design feature, originally specified by military and emergency services to avoid discomfort to the wrist at extreme angles.

0710 cropped B copy.jpg
0698 small copy.jpg

I have yet to have it serviced after eight years and won't consider that until it starts to lose time. The cost of a basic service right now is 295 Euros plus shipping to Germany. This includes disassembly, cleaning, lubricating, assembling and adjusting, plus replacement of necessary parts. Also cleaning the case and any necessary repairs to the bracelet. It could take a couple of months as well. I really like this brand for its technical focus and "reasonable" cost compared with other mid-tier Swiss brands and would consider another, perhaps a chronograph.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Casio G Shock for the win in my world. It's funny I have developed a sense of the time usually within 20 minutes of actual time. It helps being retired so 20 either way isn't a deal breaker. I buy a watch for my limited use as opposed to impressing others, why in holy hell would I buy someone else a watch and then wear it myself? ?

Trail Talk

I'm reluctant to subscribe to this thread because it appears the OP's purpose of an alternative discussion to the "cheap n'cheerful" quartz watches is being missed. While they absolutely have a place, and I have several, if owner experiences with the brands like Breitling, Omega, Rolex and similar is sought then perhaps calling out a price band will help to focus to the conversation?

1000arms

LOL......yep, that was one of my retirement goals to never wear a watch again......It's gone well since 2012 but, it seems like I'm busier now with more and more meetings and I've found I keep needing to check the time. ...
Perhaps a cheap, but rugged, wrist watch in your pocket, with the bands removed? Or a true pocket watch?

I haven't worn a watch in over 25 years. :cool:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Great idea for a thread! I've been a watch idiot savant (WIS) for many years; a hobby that can be exhilarating, frustrating, or both at once. My adventure watch has been the German brand SINN. Mechanical of course, with some helpful technical features such as 500m diving-certified, antimagnetic, low-temperature oils, Argon gas-filled case with copper-sulphate capsule to absorb moisture, all wrapped in a stainless steel case. Crown on the left is their signature design feature, originally specified by military and emergency services to avoid discomfort to the wrist at extreme angles.

View attachment 680276
View attachment 680277

I have yet to have it serviced after eight years and won't consider that until it starts to lose time. The cost of a basic service right now is 295 Euros plus shipping to Germany. This includes disassembly, cleaning, lubricating, assembling and adjusting, plus replacement of necessary parts. Also cleaning the case and any necessary repairs to the bracelet. It could take a couple of months as well. I really like this brand for its technical focus and "reasonable" cost compared with other mid-tier Swiss brands and would consider another, perhaps a chronograph.

That is actually a brilliant idea! I have a scar on my left wrist from my Seiko crown gouging into my wrist and cutting me while hanging off the end of a rope. Will definitely look into this brand. Thanks!

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I'm reluctant to subscribe to this thread because it appears the OP's purpose of an alternative discussion to the "cheap n'cheerful" quartz watches is being missed. While they absolutely have a place, and I have several, if owner experiences with the brands like Breitling, Omega, Rolex and similar is sought then perhaps calling out a price band will help to focus to the conversation?

Fair enough. I purposely didn't want to turn this into a price point issue since I'm more interested in peoples real world, everyday living and using/abusing the watches versus what they paid for it or their IG page........but, based on my experience with sub $1000 watches and my limited knowledge/experience with these tools I've budgeted $3,000 (new, used, vintage) to $10,000 (new) with only one dream watch for $15,000 (not a real option but fun to dream about) Given my intended use and abuse I do not see going any higher. Hope this answers your question and opens up the conversation. Thanks.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Perhaps a cheap, but rugged, wrist watch in your pocket, with the bands removed? Or a true pocket watch?

I haven't worn a watch in over 25 years. :cool:

Great suggestion but, they won't work or work conveniently with gloves and harnesses. Thanks.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris

I've had several G-shocks when they first came out. Great watches but all eventually died or broke. Thanks!

krick3tt

Adventurer
I am not a collector. $15000 for a watch seems a bit excessive to me, but to each their own. I have been buying Timex watches from Sportsmans Guide for years. $29 for a watch that lasts for years. I have a Rado that I bought in 1966 in Vietnam and have not worn in 25 years. Bought a Timex for a trip to Europe 10 years ago cause I did not want to lose a 'good' watch have been wearing them for years and they work great. When the battery wears out I just get another as it costs more to replace a battery than to buy a new watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles