Watches - ExPo Style

mulze22

Since 99.9% of the time I will have access to at least a USB rechargeable pack, the Apple Watch Series 3 is awesome. Has GPS for tracking hiking, is relatively waterproof and I expect Apple to improve on that and I can hook it up to my cell plan in-case I don't want to bring my phone with me hiking. My backup to that would be my solar-powered atomic syncing g-shock. That thing is awesome too.

Might be a bit techy for most but it works.

SoCalSwimmer

Hey watch lovers of EXPO.

I have a GPW Mission (Automatic) - Titanium Date watch w/ rubber strap

I used this watch for six years while serving as a Rescue Swimmer in the United States Navy.
It was a gift from my father after graduation from SAR (Search And Rescue) school. The watch has performed admirably and to my surprise the Crystal sight glass has absolutely zero marks on it. The Titanium case has been "seasoned" as I have over 400 flights while wearing this watch in countless environments to include Frozen mountains in Canada during multinational training to the desert in the middle east. Overall the watch is great for the money in my opinion. The bezel has held up and holds its position well for timing for dives, medical applications like tourniquets for back up if the blood smears on your casualty.

If you are looking for a classy rugged watch for true applications look no further.

Link to their full site
https://arctoswatches.myshopify.com/

Link to my specific model
https://arctoswatches.myshopify.com/collections/gpw-military/products/gpwautpu

**The only issue I had with the watch is the spring bars that lock in the band to the watch have failed and have needed to be replaced but have held up since then**

SheepnJeep

Looks like a lot of Seiko users here... I have been using this watch for 10 years this year and it has been great. Had the capacitor replaced a few years back. Otherwise it has survived everything including wildland firefighting. Killed off several timex watches trying to 'Save' this one over the years. Now I just use it all the time. It's the classic 5M62-0BP0... Sounds like a robot named it. Has the fun sight glass in the back so you can see the winding mechanism. They pop up on eBay from time to time, thinking about grabbing one or two to have spare parts in case of serious damage.
Only bummer is that the metal band is freezing in the wintertime.

I would love to find a '68 era omega speed master like was used to go to the North Pole and the Moon. Some decent looking replicas out there but I would have to see one in person. They probably keep better time with a quartz movement anyways!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    973.2 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 98

Explorerinil

Observer
Looks like a lot of Seiko users here... I have been using this watch for 10 years this year and it has been great. Had the capacitor replaced a few years back. Otherwise it has survived everything including wildland firefighting. Killed off several timex watches trying to 'Save' this one over the years. Now I just use it all the time. It's the classic 5M62-0BP0... Sounds like a robot named it. Has the fun sight glass in the back so you can see the winding mechanism. They pop up on eBay from time to time, thinking about grabbing one or two to have spare parts in case of serious damage.
Only bummer is that the metal band is freezing in the wintertime.

I would love to find a '68 era omega speed master like was used to go to the North Pole and the Moon. Some decent looking replicas out there but I would have to see one in person. They probably keep better time with a quartz movement anyways!
You have good taste in watches!

I have an old Swiss army watch my mom got me when I was a kid, it’s on its probably 10th band. Been the best watch every next to an old Ironman I had. The Swiss army keeps better time than my Pepsi bezel gmt master since I don’t wear it often.

bj70_guy

Adventurer

I have a '69 Speedmaster - it's a very cool watch imo, but it's not a great choice for an "expo watch" - it's not waterproof and the acrylic crystal (no glass in space...) scratches if you look at it funny ;)
Occasionally I wish I'd opted for a new Seamaster when I was shopping for a nice watch, the sapphire crystal and water resistance probably would have been a better fit for me, but I do love my old Speedy. I wear it almost all the time unless I'm off wheeling or motorcycling, then its some sort of bomb proof Casio.

SheepnJeep

I have a '69 Speedmaster - it's a very cool watch imo, but it's not a great choice for an "expo watch" - it's not waterproof and the acrylic crystal (no glass in space...) scratches if you look at it funny ;)
Occasionally I wish I'd opted for a new Seamaster when I was shopping for a nice watch, the sapphire crystal and water resistance probably would have been a better fit for me, but I do love my old Speedy. I wear it almost all the time unless I'm off wheeling or motorcycling, then its some sort of bomb proof Casio.

A real one would be cool, but there are several good looking replicas out there that I think would be nice for $2-300. Hate to break a real one! And I would hate to have it stolen from a show display. People seem to like replicas, I guess there is a whole market for them especially for older high dollar watches. Interestingly enough, I don't think Omega gave watches out to the team before the expedition. The watch shown here might have been Dr. Art Aufderhiede's personal one but it made the publicity shots. image.jpeg

Owyhee

ICU Nurse, Shepherd, Father.
I've worn a Seiko SNA411 Flight Master Since February of 2012. I am HARD on equipment, as a firefighter and working in a tire shop, I was the guy they had come and smash bash and break things loose. I haven't really taken the thing off for 6 years, I work, play, swim, shower, and sleep with it on my wrist. I have included my tungsten wedding ring next to the watch to show you how beat up my "unscratchable" ring is, only had the ring for 3 years. I really like having the slide rule with aviation calc on the fly, and a chronograph for timing baking and procedures (No longer a Firefighter working as a nurse). Two things which make me want to replace this watch with a new SNA411 is, sometime in the last 6 months the alarm/second timezone minute hand has come off and the lower pusher for the chronograph is stuck. IMG_20181105_212018171.jpg

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
I like my 5.11 Tactical watch. It has a built in ballistics calculator, which is nice if I'm doing any shooting. Been wearing it for a bit over a year now. Before that, (and still now, if I'm not bringing my rifle) I'd wear a Suunto Vector. (nice altimeter and compass features) Had the Vector for almost a decade.
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Accessories/Watches/HRT-Titanium-Watch.html
How's the 5.11 holding up? Picked one up for a steal and, while I like it, have read some things that worry me about longevity.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The perfect set of watches for the outdoorsman.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Hey watch lovers of EXPO.

I have a GPW Mission (Automatic) - Titanium Date watch w/ rubber strap

I used this watch for six years while serving as a Rescue Swimmer in the United States Navy.
It was a gift from my father after graduation from SAR (Search And Rescue) school. The watch has performed admirably and to my surprise the Crystal sight glass has absolutely zero marks on it. The Titanium case has been "seasoned" as I have over 400 flights while wearing this watch in countless environments to include Frozen mountains in Canada during multinational training to the desert in the middle east. Overall the watch is great for the money in my opinion. The bezel has held up and holds its position well for timing for dives, medical applications like tourniquets for back up if the blood smears on your casualty.

If you are looking for a classy rugged watch for true applications look no further.

Link to their full site
https://arctoswatches.myshopify.com/

Link to my specific model
https://arctoswatches.myshopify.com/collections/gpw-military/products/gpwautpu

**The only issue I had with the watch is the spring bars that lock in the band to the watch have failed and have needed to be replaced but have held up since then**

Great prices.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I've worn a Seiko SNA411 Flight Master Since February of 2012. I am HARD on equipment, as a firefighter and working in a tire shop, I was the guy they had come and smash bash and break things loose. I haven't really taken the thing off for 6 years, I work, play, swim, shower, and sleep with it on my wrist. I have included my tungsten wedding ring next to the watch to show you how beat up my "unscratchable" ring is, only had the ring for 3 years. I really like having the slide rule with aviation calc on the fly, and a chronograph for timing baking and procedures (No longer a Firefighter working as a nurse). Two things which make me want to replace this watch with a new SNA411 is, sometime in the last 6 months the alarm/second timezone minute hand has come off and the lower pusher for the chronograph is stuck.

I had one of those for a couple of years... I actually regret selling it. It was a very good watch that I got for a steal new. I also sold my Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay at around the same time... lovely piece of engineering, but it was too small for my wrist, and looked a little dainty for my liking. That I sold for more than I paid...

Love me some Seiko.

I am now selling my Casio G-Shock Multi Band 6 Tough Solar. I sold them all because all I wear these days is my Samsung Frontier S3 (not really an overland watch... but a great smart watch).

MatttheHatt

I had one of those for a couple of years... I actually regret selling it. It was a very good watch that I got for a steal new. I also sold my Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay at around the same time... lovely piece of engineering, but it was too small for my wrist, and looked a little dainty for my liking. That I sold for more than I paid...

Love me some Seiko.

I am now selling my Casio G-Shock Multi Band 6 Tough Solar. I sold them all because all I wear these days is my Samsung Frontier S3 (not really an overland watch... but a great smart watch).
I am using the Casio Multi-Band 6 Solar too. Have had it for a few years and it gets the crap beat out of it but it hasn't let me down yet. No batteries, no setting, just the basics and nothing too fancy.

It has been worth every penny, I love it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles