Warranty vs Lift

billiebob

We have 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and it always goes to the dealer for service etc. When we considered a 2" lift for it we went to the dealer and were told a lift would void the warranty....... so no lift for this car.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Warranty work would be voided if the particular aftermarket part causes a failure. And that would only pertain to that specific part, not the whole car. So even worst case scenario, other parts of the car would still be covered.

Sounds like yet another incompetent dealer.

sledhooligan

Get familiar with the Magnuson Moss Act. Most dealers are pretty stupid and don't know about it and will throw out blanket clams about voiding warranties. It the same law the protects you by not having to run factory belts and oil.They have to prove that your modifications caused the damage.
So if you have a lift and a CV goes out more then likely they'll say the stepper angle of the axle caused by the lift was the reason for the failure. If the motor throws a rod or the stero stops working they can't blame it on the lift.

billiebob

Warranty work would be voided if the particular aftermarket part causes a failure. And that would only pertain to that specific part, not the whole car. So even worst case scenario, other parts of the car would still be covered.

Sounds like yet another incompetent dealer.
Agreed, one would think a lift would only affect the driveline not the alternator but after hearing Ram horror stories with chipped diesels where the entire vehicle warranty is voided since the chip can influence every electronic component.... I'd not hold my breath.

But no, not an incompetent dealer, he showed us the notice all dealers got. it did not qualify driveline components, it did not specify lifts either, it said "any part not supplied thru the dealer network" would void the warranty. Makes one wonder about a new battery. The statement was incredibly vague.

But i agree with sledhooligan, there are protections out there for us consumers. Question is are you up for the fight? I'm just going to wait till the warranty is up.

phsycle

Adventurer
Agreed, one would think a lift would only affect the driveline not the alternator but after hearing Ram horror stories with chipped diesels where the entire vehicle warranty is voided since the chip can influence every electronic component.... I'd not hold my breath.

But no, not an incompetent dealer, he showed us the notice all dealers got. it did not qualify driveline components, it did not specify lifts either, it said "any part not supplied thru the dealer network" would void the warranty. Makes one wonder about a new battery. The statement was incredibly vague.

But i agree with sledhooligan, there are protections out there for us consumers. Question is are you up for the fight? I'm just going to wait till the warranty is up.

What’s funny is there are plenty of dealers who will lift Subies.
i.e.:

I still think that’s a dealer mandated protocol, not Subaru.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A letter from the dealer or car MFG does not supersede the M-M warranty act. Full Stop. The onus is on the dealer to prove the modification caused the failure. In the event your engine blows up, you can hire a lawyer (which will be paid by the MFG if you win) to file a suit on your behalf.

Doesn't mean its a good idea to do certain modifications either.

Dealers and MFGs use all kinds of scare tactics to try and eliminate their burden.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Mag moss is nearly worthless now.

While you're trying to convince them, your truck rots on a lot somewhere. And all electronics issues are ''something ate something'' now. No warranty. There's so many loopholes for the dealer to wiggle through. Warranty doesn't pay good. Blame the manufacturers for this mess.

Not to mention, that lifts CAN ******** all kinds of stuff now. Forget to disco the battery during the lift process and the truck has adaptive steering? Whoops, you just caused $3000 in damages.

billiebob

What’s funny is there are plenty of dealers who will lift Subies.
i.e.:

I still think that’s a dealer mandated protocol, not Subaru.
Love this link, think I will show it to my dealer. This is exactly what we want, dealer installed.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
We have 2019 Subaru Crosstrek and it always goes to the dealer for service etc. When we considered a 2" lift for it we went to the dealer and were told a lift would void the warranty....... so no lift for this car.

Try a different dealer. We have a 2016 Outback and after pestering the local Suby dealer with a few emails, he finally emailed me back (in writing) that they would install the lift kit that I provided, but that all components involved and beyond the lift kit would lose warranty coverage...including CV joints, bearings, brakes, etc.

I chickened out and did not install the lift. When our extended warranty expires I most likely will install a 2 inch lift myself.

jadmt

ignore button user
as was stated MM is worthless. the only ones who want you to believe it is the aftermarket manufactures and some will say they will stand behind you but when push comes to shove you are on your own and OEM have deep pockets.

buellconvert

That's completely illegal for the dealer and whoever sent that letter out is just asking for trouble...I'd definitely do whatever you want to YOUR vehicle and let them try and justify denial of warranty

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

billiebob

Love this link, think I will show it to my dealer. This is exactly what we want, dealer installed.
Asked the question.... here is the answer

" I notice you inquired about the lift kit and wheels and tires on our 2018 Crosstrek.
It doesn't void any warranties as long as we install the parts here at the dealership. "

Alloy

I looked into lifting our 2020 Outback. Some models have issues with a 2" lift (one manufacture will only do a 1.5
lift for this reason) but there there are few 2019-20 done to know if there are issues.

I did have a discussion with our dealer. They won't do any suspension modification as it would affect the Eyesight System as such would open them up to being a defendant in any life/limb lawsuits.

shade

Mag moss is nearly worthless now.
Especially to a Canadian. ??

Not to mention, that lifts CAN ******** all kinds of stuff now. Forget to disco the battery during the lift process and the truck has adaptive steering? Whoops, you just caused $3000 in damages.
When it comes to warranty coverage, they don't cover poorly performed work.

@billiebob - Do some research, install the lift properly, and enjoy the Subaru.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior