Warning re Jackery product quality/design

Status
Not open for further replies.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The OP came here to throw a company under the bus for his wrong doing (despite taking their accommodation) and you support him in that effort. You didn’t offer anything useful. Congrats to you!

I at least offered a needed a reality check. You and the OP are welcome.

still waiting for those comparable products that would have survived or been repairable for a similar cost.
No the OP came here to warn people about the lack of help he recieved from Jackery Products Even though he was willing to pay for their Time and Skills, even though they don't exist.

And here you are barraging anyone who does not accept your Holier than Thou negitivity,

Here's a "Reality Check" for you, We won't be bullied in to your way of thinking so get over it.

Right from page One you have been trying to bully anyone who does not agree with you, Good luck with that,

67cj5

Man On a Mission
As someone who did the dual battery conversion I can tell you the reason most people don't do them: Money, time and complexity. My total cost was probably at least $200, NOT including the second battery (which was another $280 for a 68AH AGM, the biggest I could find in the correct size.)

And unlike most modern vehicles, my truck (2004 Suburban) actually had a dedicated space for a second battery. It also took me probably a good 20 - 30 hours of work (granted, I work very slow.)

So, given that (a) most people don't have that much time to dedicate to a project like this, and (b) most people don't have a dedicated space in their vehicle for a second battery, which means that if you want to put a 2nd battery under the hood, now you have to move other stuff around (which costs additional money and takes additional time), as well as (c) wanting a power solution that is "plug and play" and can be used in multiple vehicles, I can totally understand why there is a market for these portable power packs even at a premium price.
I love that I can take them anywhere be it upstairs or down and from vehicle to vehicle and from vehicle to tent or Boat, and they charge in just a couple of hours and they are not an unsightly mess. I will be buying 1 or 2 more in the future,

Having a second battery in a vehicle is a good thing but having power where you need it is great even more so in a power out.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
No the OP came here to warn people about the lack of help he recieved from Jackery Products Even though he was willing to pay for their Time and Skills, even though they don't exist.

And here you are barraging anyone who does not accept your Holier than Thou negitivity,

Here's a "Reality Check" for you, We won't be bullied in to your way of thinking so get over it.

Right from page One you have been trying to bully anyone who does not agree with you, Good luck with that,
The reality is that the OP and you are far more in the wrong than jackery. Another reality is that electronics with batteries and lcd screens aren’t going survive big falls and negligence.

I’m not bullying the OP or you, I’m just not buying the Finger pointing and blame game.

still waiting for these other products that sound perform better.

OllieChristopher

thanks for the tip "joined May 20, 2021" ...

sounds about right

That is so uncalled for. Since when does join date have anything to do with someones knowledge? And how about you please refrain from rubbing in an already sore spot for Mr. Moore? I'm glad he came on this forum and reminded us how delicate these devices are.

He also did a good duty by being honest and forthcoming to the manufacturer as to how the damage occurred. Kind of a bummer Jackery would not at least repair the damage for free under warranty. Now we know.....

MiamiC70

I’ve had 3 Jackery products in last 3 or 4 years as I have traded up to larger and newer version and all 3have worked perfectly. Also, all my questions have been answered by their C/S team an in one case they even extended a product swap after purchase for a newer version.

That said, I don’t drop mine ??‍♂️

roving1

I really can't fathom why I'm catching hell for (1) advocating that companies provide a little information along with the electronics they sell, (2) advocating that things generally ARE repairable and that the calculus of "cost effective" for a company is very different from "cost effective" for an owner.

The retorts against you are like being at a right to repair legislative hearing and listening to dumb politicians and corporate lobbyists alternate between lying through their teeth and being extremely ignorant LOL.

OllieChristopher

I’ve been a member here since ‘06, so he deserved the ******** and reality check.

Membership length or post count has zero bearing on anything other than showing your negative credibility toward other members. And using clever acronyms to cuss someone out is a major violation of forum rules and etiquette. It's not in the intended nature of this forum. If you have been a member since 2006 I would hope you know the first rule of this forum of no foul language. This is supposed to have family friendly content.

Back to the subject matter. I would still suggest carefully disassembling it and posting up here on the forum what you find. Main thing to remember is to be careful with the inverter as it has quite a bit of voltage coming out of it. The newer Jackery solar generators are using the Panasonic 18650 Li-ion Batteries. They are very robust and the most expensive part of the unit. It most certainly will not hurt to break out your meter and see what you find.

A few questions for Mr Moore. Does the unit still operate after dropping to 1% so quickly? Does the power still drain quickly when a 110 plug is put in the socket? A quick high amp draw as shown on the video is a classic sign of a short circuit somewhere in the unit. I'm willing to bet the drop caused a plug to dislodge and/or wires to come out and touch something. Check the grounding wires before anything.

Reason I think this is because I have chased false parasitic draws only to find loose grounds to the battery. It's one of the reasons I went with 1/0 wire for all my grounds from battery to to motor/frame/chassis on my truck. Chasing battery drains can be really frustrating on a vehicle. Seeing you are looking for it on a small portable solar generator it should be simple.

If you do find it's a grounding issue, I suggest to try to squeeze in a small bus bar to connect all the grounds. This way future issues are simple to diagnose and repair.

Here is a larger example of what I did:
4BBCFC2A-5A42-4B2E-80B8-A6F9FDDB8085_1_201_a.jpegA980A516-4ED9-4D43-BA05-567B507160B2.jpeg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Back to the subject matter. I would still suggest carefully disassembling it and posting up here on the forum what you find. Main thing to remember is to be careful with the inverter as it has quite a bit of voltage coming out of it. The newer Jackery solar generators are using the Panasonic 18650 Li-ion Batteries. They are very robust and the most expensive part of the unit. It most certainly will not hurt to break out your meter and see what you find.
When you watch tear down videos of these Jackery devices they do look to me to be built reasonably well. They are not military grade and are obviously not ruggedized as such (e.g. not conformally coated, no real attempt to protect from shock, vibe or anything). But they don't look particularly cheap either. Other than the Panasonic cells you mention I saw they may be using a Barium BMS, which is pretty decent. I agree a jarred loose connector is a good bet. The PCBs in the videos were all labeled in English so troubleshooting them probably wouldn't be impossible either.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
That is so uncalled for. Since when does join date have anything to do with someones knowledge? And how about you please refrain from rubbing in an already sore spot for Mr. Moore? I'm glad he came on this forum and reminded us how delicate these devices are.

He also did a good duty by being honest and forthcoming to the manufacturer as to how the damage occurred. Kind of a bummer Jackery would not at least repair the damage for free under warranty. Now we know.....
Membership length or post count has zero bearing on anything other than showing your negative credibility toward other members.

According to who? If this is the case then why does your profile show your experience level, join date, post count and reaction score? It’s front and center everywhere. The reason is, this is the internet and users of this forum need tools to gauge if someone may have experience, or may be totally green. Is it a perfect or even good gauge? Not really, but it definitely matters. Sure, new people are often amazing contributors but also many inexperienced sharing misinformation all the time.

but, you grabbed onto to the one line in my response and didn’t address the main points.

OllieChristopher

Ryan I must please ask you to refrain from trolling. Your posts have no value or positive input and is not in accordance with the intended nature of our online community. If you have a need to argue or troll then please feel free to PM me. Otherwise I will respectfully ask you to let "dead dogs lie"

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Ryan I must please ask you to refrain from trolling. Your posts have no value or positive input and is not in accordance with the intended nature of our online community. If you have a need to argue or troll then please feel free to PM me. Otherwise I will respectfully ask you to let "dead dogs lie"
Do what I did, Put your mouse over his Avatar and a box opens up and click "Ignore", Peace At Last ???

jhmoore

A few questions for Mr Moore. Does the unit still operate after dropping to 1% so quickly? Does the power still drain quickly when a 110 plug is put in the socket? A quick high amp draw as shown on the video is a classic sign of a short circuit somewhere in the unit. I'm willing to bet the drop caused a plug to dislodge and/or wires to come out and touch something. Check the grounding wires before anything.

Sorry, a not very helpful answer: I don't know if it still operates. I think yes? I used it on my laptop and a few other things briefly and it did appear to be powering them. However... something killed my laptop battery that same day that I used the broken Jackery to power it. My laptop battery (-ies; there are two) no longer will charge when plugged in. So after going through some troubleshooting, I am awaiting replacement batteries. Not sure if this is a coincidence or caused by something wrong with whatever the Jackery is putting out. Nor do I have equipment here to check what the Jackery is putting out.

I had been trying to burn the Jackery down to zero because Jackery had asked me to do a "hard reset" (hold the display button down for 10 seconds until the display fully lights up, then burn the battery to 0%, then charge to 100%). But after my laptop batteries got destroyed on the same day, I was no longer willing to plug anything into it to continue trying to burn it down to 0%... nor do I know how I would know when it got to 0% other than whatever was plugged in would stop working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles