Warn Tabor line to be discontinued.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just found out from an industry insider that the Warn Tabor line is discontinued. All that's left is what's on shelves now. Get 'em while you can.

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
Any idea why?? Will it be replaced? I was seriously considering a Tabor 9K, but as a student, I'm wating til this summer to make a move.

chet

island Explorer
thats a bummer I have the 9k and its seems to work great. a def. step up over the costco champion crap I had on it!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm looking at those myself. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. That guy is close to where I live and I could just pick it up. It certainly looks to be nicely made. Anybody here have any experience with them?

I'm torn between saving a lot of money yet still getting something that looks great. Or getting the old standard, possibly overpriced, but made in America product.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
mountainpete said:
I'll be honest, but I don't see this as a big loss... Better low cost alternatives are available such as: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/50817-titan-winches.html

Pete

Those Titans look pretty good, but that link has brought up a question I've had in my mind for some time. Does the Albright solenoid replace all four solenoids found in a winch control box (like the M8000). How does the retrofit/replacement work and what does it entail?

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
R_Lefebvre said:
Yeah, I'm looking at those myself. I'm not sure what I'll do yet. That guy is close to where I live and I could just pick it up. It certainly looks to be nicely made. Anybody here have any experience with them?

I'm torn between saving a lot of money yet still getting something that looks great. Or getting the old standard, possibly overpriced, but made in America product.

I think take up speed and customer support are what I would consider when buying a winch. I've witnessed a slow winch a couple of times and it is terribly unremarkable. A come along would have been faster. If the take up speed is good, having the guy so near where you live could be a huge advantage.

toyrunner95

Explorer
when i bought my sinch, it was a question of dependability, warn has been in the game the longest and they make a great product. still un easy about their compressors but that another thread. i ahve a warm x8ki, it has been discontinued but it is a great little winch. i dont know why every one is so hopping for the 9k, its like a standard, even for little tjs, a tj really only needs about a 6k, but the extra help is nice.

my litte 8k pulls my toyota just fine, its about a 2k truck so i have more than enough juice. as for LC and LR you may need a 9k but make sure you get the right stuff. i dont want to be in the middle of nowhere and have my winch crap out.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think the 9000lbers are standard now because some of the crappy 9000# winches only pull like 4000lbs on the last wrap. So you need a big winch for a little truck.

The M8000 however, darn thing pulls 6500lbs on the last wrap. That's I think more than the 10000lb Titan, IIRC.

It's a tough decision. The M8000 is a nice winch for a nice price. The only thing really holding me up on it is it's not very water resistant. You don't really get seals on the Warns until you get up into $1000+ territory.

madizell

Explorer
My first read on the Titan is positive. Speed, power, and electrical consumption are on a par with the best. If the metalurgy is adequate and the motor quality is there, the price is definitely attractive. I just bought an M8000 or I would consider the 10,000 Titan.

You have to like a guy who is willing to put his name on the line. Support over the next 5 years will tell the rest of the story.

CYi5

Explorer
That's the first i've seen of the Titans...I was going to go with the rebadged T-Maxx from summit, but now am thinking twice. Who actually sells the Titan? any retailers?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think that guy is the only guy selling them. Direct mail order. As best as I can tell, he designed them in Canada, and farmed out the manufacturing.

There's nothing wrong with manufacturing things in China, as long as the engineering is done and quality control is good.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Keep in mind the one the best thing about Warn is the warranty... lifetime. I'm yet to see another winch manufacture stand up as Warn has in this area. There were sooooo many winch companies at SEMA this year, rebadge of this & that, some seriously hokey looking winches too. Still, the Warn has the warranty on its side. I've had a couple of Warns rebuilt on their dime, worth every penny :D

madizell

Explorer
R_Lefebvre said:
I think that guy is the only guy selling them. Direct mail order. As best as I can tell, he designed them in Canada, and farmed out the manufacturing.

There's nothing wrong with manufacturing things in China, as long as the engineering is done and quality control is good.

He may or may not have any control over material and build quality, and may have simply chosen to use a motor already available from China, rather than outsourcing to a Chinese manufacturer a motor of his own spec. I would personally rather see a winch using a Bosch motor or another motor readily available, already in use in a major brand of winch, rather than picking one from a Chinese source, but it could well be a very good motor. Problem is, who knows?

As for the rest of the winch, if he builds as good as he describes, it sounds like a solid product. Time will probably tell. The price is exceptional. Now, if the Titan could be retrofitted with a 6+hp Bosch...

Bulldawg

cruiseroutfit said:
Keep in mind the one the best thing about Warn is the warranty... lifetime. I'm yet to see another winch manufacture stand up as Warn has in this area. There were sooooo many winch companies at SEMA this year, rebadge of this & that, some seriously hokey looking winches too. Still, the Warn has the warranty on its side. I've had a couple of Warns rebuilt on their dime, worth every penny :D

The Tabor line only has a 1-year warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles