Warn, Ramsey, Sherpa... whats the most dependable least Chinese winch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEIA Nomad

FYI, happy to answer any questions about any of our winches including our VR EVO.

- Andy

First and foremost I would have to ask which one of your winches has the least amount or 0 parts from China? I don't care if some or all the parts come from other parts of the world, just not China.

I have found parts virtually everywhere for the M8000 which is good piece of mind but everything I'm seeing is it is not a water friendly winch. Is there any way to fix or modify it for that?

With all of that in mind what winches do you offer that are easy to get parts for but also don't mind being submerged or possibly ran underwater? I honestly don't foresee ever needing to run it underwater, but I'm also no stranger at getting into interesting situations.

If it does break and I take it apart and fix it myself does that void the warranty?

Thanks for speaking up in the thread also. It's good to be able to communicate like this.

DCH109

Adventurer
I have a Sherpa 10K winch and I can tell you that the main unit is made in China. Electronics in the controller and are assembled in AU.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Unless it's a show vehicle or the winch will be used daily there is no point in buying in spending big bucks on a winch, The build quality of many of these overseas winches is right up there with the best of them,

I sold my 2 New unused Warns and bought another brand of winch and then Warn went and copied it and I must admit they did a good job only trouble is they charge 4 or 5 times the price for a copy of a Chinese Winch. go figure,

NEIA Nomad

Well, a decision was made. I got the Comeup. I called the company and spoke with them a little. Parts and service shouldn't be an issue, if they are at any point needed or do become an issue I'll be sure to inform. So far I like it, but I haven't done any besides mounting and tensioning the hook so not exactly a fair review, but it looks good. 20210911_173855.jpg

Next on the list is how to remount the front plate since Iowa requires it, and I know most of the cops in the county. As I use it I'll update this thread so anyone searching can find info. There has been a lot of good info contributed by y'all in here already, thanks for that, it's appreciated.

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I'll say it. Taiwan aint the Taiwan of our youth. They make some mean hardwear (aaaand whiskey btw). See: your phone/computer/modern life. Heck I'd love to say "buy USA made". I could tell you lots of stories of my last 6 months trying to buy USA made stuff. Absolute nightmares. Anyhoo love to see more feedback on the Sherpa units. Mostly because they seem to weigh HALF of what the others do. I'm assuming that's because they use deeper gears and smaller motors.

ABBB

Well, a decision was made. I got the Comeup. I called the company and spoke with them a little. Parts and service shouldn't be an issue, if they are at any point needed or do become an issue I'll be sure to inform. So far I like it, but I haven't done any besides mounting and tensioning the hook so not exactly a fair review, but it looks good. View attachment 681439

Next on the list is how to remount the front plate since Iowa requires it, and I know most of the cops in the county. As I use it I'll update this thread so anyone searching can find info. Their has been a lot of good info contributed by y'all in here already, thanks for that, it's appreciated.

Congrats on your decision and purchase. Always nice to finally settle and make a move! I also have a Comeup and I’ve been pleased. As far as license plates go, I put one of these on and give it . Solid build, not flimsy at all. No signs of annoying vibrations while in motion.

6276b469fc5123522293713c9779df97.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WSS

Rock Stacker
I'm on my second Chinese winch and very happy with it but it hasn't seen much use yet. It's a Stegadon (Where oh where do they get these names) from Chinazon. Previously I had a HF that was a very tough winch.

You don't want to support China? How did you type your post? If on a screen, ANY screen, it was made in China. I'm not big on Chinese products either but things like winches that see little use and the USA made variants are 5x the cost? I'm going for the bargain.

Re read the Op's post carefully, you will see you made a mistake. He says "
I just want to not support China as much as I can".

I am very happy to see Americans buying American made products. I am an American Manufacturer. Go buy that bargain, may those chains rest lightly on your shoulders. It is America, you have a choice. Enjoy it!

67cj5

Man On a Mission
All this Anti China stuff is a joke, They haven't done anything to the US, Back in the 1940's it was Japan who attacked Pearl Harbour not China,

All this anti china stuff is Racist, Due to inflation and Wage rises American companies have 2 choices, They can either Go Bankrupt or stay in business by moving manufacturing Off Shore.

Just because a lot of US companies move their manufacturing Off Shore to china is not china's fault and the blame belongs to the US companies, It seems that a lot of the Top Brands around the world make their stuff in china, That's Geography Vs Profit, China can make and do make things a lot better than other places around the globe,

Classic example:-

Stanley/Aladdin Vacuum Flasks are now made in China and are better than the "Made In U.S.A. versions. and since they have been making them over there they now make the Ultimate in Vacuum Flasks,

The Best Cold Weather Boots in the World are made in China as are many cold weather products. The Best Cold Weather Parka's are made in China by an American Company, And the Best store bought Extreme Cold Weather Mittens in the World are made in Vietnam by an American Company and by History alone is the height of hypocracy, Yet China who has done nothing to the US is at the forefront of all this ill informed blind American Anti China Racism,

The bottom line is all the American and Canadian companies that are having their products made in China is a good thing because it is saving the Brand and in most cases keeping the brand American Owned.

It seems that people need to Wake up, there are 2 sides to every Coin.

Last edited:

86scotty

Cynic
Re read the Op's post carefully, you will see you made a mistake. He says "
I just want to not support China as much as I can".

I am very happy to see Americans buying American made products. I am an American Manufacturer. Go buy that bargain, may those chains rest lightly on your shoulders. It is America, you have a choice. Enjoy it!

Since you quoted me directly I'll respond but I don't want to muck up the OP's thread anymore so this is all I'll say. I am also an American business owner, though not in manufacturing. My business is also constantly challenged by non-American companies, though not China.

My point to the OP was that you can't escape buying from China fully, and on something like a winch that is A. expensive and B. rarely used, I went with the cheaper Chinese option. I am an overlander but not a rock crawler or hard core offroader. If I were, I would no doubt have a rebuildable, American made top quality winch. I know these types are the majority of your customers and I'm sure business is good.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Since you quoted me directly I'll respond but I don't want to muck up the OP's thread anymore so this is all I'll say. I am also an American business owner, though not in manufacturing. My business is also constantly challenged by non-American companies, though not China.

My point to the OP was that you can't escape buying from China fully, and on something like a winch that is A. expensive and B. rarely used, I went with the cheaper Chinese option. I am an overlander but not a rock crawler or hard core offroader. If I were, I would no doubt have a rebuildable, American made top quality winch. I know these types are the majority of your customers and I'm sure business is good.
I agree, we have to do what suits our needs, I have only ever needed a winch 3x in the past 37 years and even then I used a hand winch,

The reason for having a winch is to get unstuck not see how many times a person can get stuck so they can use the winch,

I have a 9500Lb winch here that I have never fitted still in it's box, I also have a Tirfor hand winch and I have a Ratchet Puller which I prefer because it is small and light, The Key is not to put ones self in such a position in the first place where a person would need a winch,

Some of these winch's that come out of china rival the best in the world, Mine has a 6.5/7.0hp motor and if that can't pull it out then i'll leave the bugger where it is. (y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles