Warn 8274 vs Ramsey RE 12000

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have a Ramsey RE 12000 right now, but it is a bit wide for the bumper I'm looking to put it in. The Warn 8274 is much narrower, so I'm considering selling my Ramsey and picking one up. My worm drive Ramsey has been bullet proof. Before I sell mine and pickup a used 8274, I'd love to hear some *honest* opinions about the 8274 from people that have owned them for 2 years or more.

Pros:

- Fast line speed
- Narrow - will fit my bumper better
- Lots of parts available for rebuild

Cons:
?

- Does it heat up if used repeatedly on the trail?
- Does it the drum get hot when winching out (lower someone down)
- Reliability?
- Other?

Thanks,
Craig

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
That's like choosing one million dollars or one million and one dollars! What a great problem to have! Both great units.
The warn drum doesn't get hot as the brake is not in the drum. Both are only as reliable as the solenoids. If you can make it work, keep the Ramsey just because it's larger capacity and ...... you already have it and are familiar with it. Which ever you choose you can't go wrong.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have both 8274's and a RE10000 (basically the same as the RE12000).
The cons you list are accurate. Parts are readily available for the Ramsey too.

To the cons, I'd also add fast line speed, as that can be more dangerous, so you need to be even more careful.
I got my first 8274 in 1975 and it's still going. In it's early days I used it a lot for dragging logs in the woods and never had any issues with it.

Off-roading it was always a champ and very reliable.

I did burn the motor up once in the mid-80's, but that was winching 4 vehicles at the same time up a steep icy hill. The motor was a common one easy to get.

I never did much winching out, but the 8274 has an external to the drum brake so the drum shouldn't get hot.

I believe the 8274 draws more current, but I can't remember for sure and that's something you can look up.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
I got my d2 stuck to the frame in nasty Carolina mud. No amount of tugging with my superwinch could get me free. Same for a buddy with an 8274 on his 4runner. A guy with a worm driven Ramsey 12000 came by and his winch had no trouble pulling me out.

Isnt the profile on the 8274 taller? I know people have made them fit on their discos, but you might have to measure to ensure you can get it in.

-Sam

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I got my d2 stuck to the frame in nasty Carolina mud. No amount of tugging with my superwinch could get me free. Same for a buddy with an 8274 on his 4runner.
That's what extra snatch blocks are for. ;)

Isnt the profile on the 8274 taller? I know people have made them fit on their discos, but you might have to measure to ensure you can get it in.
Yes, a good bit taller above the drum, but the RE motor/gearbox hangs below the drum, so overall I don't think it's a lot taller.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like both are quite reliable and that I'll be happy with whatever I choose.

Craig

DirtRoads

Observer
I've had my 8274 for right at two years now. it is an older model, I bought it on the cheap from a guy on Craigslist.. it needed some work. I ended up installing a new clutch lever, a whole new control box, new lower housing seals, and a new cable. I attribute all of these parts failures to the previous owner's abuse. Overall, parts were easy to find and appropriately priced on Amazon. The work wasn't hard to do at all for anyone with a little mechanical knowledge. I have been nothing but impressed with my 8274, but have noticed some of the usual problems.

1. The unusually tall shape makes it somewhat hard to mount in some applications. Check and double check just to make sure.

2. Because the brake is external, dirt can build up inside and make it not unlock in freespool mode. On this winch, the feespool mode unlocks the motor from the drive train instead of unlocking the winch drum from the drive train. So, sometimes the freespool mode is temperamental at first or doesn't work at all. This is only a problem with "solo" operations. With its line speed and two people, not a problem.

3. The lower seals on mine were toast when I got it, so oil leaked from where the drum enters the housing. This was probably because the previous owner put in a home built mount with a bolt pattern that wasn't exactly right, causing the drum to press into the seals and tear them.

Overall, even with these problems, no complaints from this guy :victory:, and I have used the heck out of my winch. Sometimes 8klbs isn't quite enough power to get the job done, but with 150 feet of cable and that super fast line speed, snatch blocks aren't much of an inconvenience. If I left anything out, let me know.

-Drew

MuckSavage

Adventurer
My father always said that "The 8274 is the winch by which all others are judged" and he used the crap out of his. I had the 12k Ramsey on the front of my old Power Wagon & between the 2, we never had to throw in the towel on anybody. (Then again, we are in South Jersey) You can't go wrong with either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior