Warn 8074?

RedF

Adventurer
So I picked this thing up via the local classifieds thinking I scored a 8274 for a great deal. After researching, I think it's actually a Warn 8074; note the lack of free-spool. What the heck should I do with it?

20161017_1223291_zpsded4tcqz.jpg

I have a Silverado 2500, so in reality I need more winch than this. I knew that before I bought it.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Use it. I've got one and the power out is fast enough that you don't really need a free spool. The 8274 free spool takes so much effort that I'd use the power out anyway.

robert

Expedition Leader
If you're not carrying a loaded camper on the back that winch will probably pull more than you think, especially with a snatch block. They came with 150ft of cable on them too. I'm pretty sure I recall reading an article on converting those models to free spooling but if you really want speed, power, free spooling and more speed then you can always go the dual motor route and buy a new head for it. <Insert Tim Allen grunting noises here> They are very expensive but definitely impressive.

RedF

Adventurer
I've seen those double motor setups. Super-cool, but way, way out of my price range.

I'm on the hunt for a front bumper for the Silverado. What I find will dictate how I proceed.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
That's pretty cool, actually. FYI, the "2" in 8274 stands for "two way" as in power in, and power out. (Not sure why we didn't call this the 8174, but so be it)

And just for reference and to impress other off-road geeks:

8 = 8,000 lb.
2 = Two way (power in, power out)
74 = year it was introduced.

- Andy

RedF

Adventurer
That's pretty cool, actually. FYI, the and"2" in 8274 stands for "two way" as in power in, and power out. (Not sure why we didn't call this the 8174, but so be it)

And just for reference and to impress other off-road geeks:

8 = 8,000 lb.
2 = Two way (power in, power out)
74 = year it was introduced.

- Andy

I've heard that explanation before, but it doesn't jive with this model, as it's power in & out. It should also be "8274".

Do you have any history on these things? My research indicates they were dealer installed on AMCs in the 70s, never sold directly to the public. They were spec'd without the freespool by AMC.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I've heard that explanation before, but it doesn't jive with this model, as it's power in & out. It should also be "8274".

Do you have any history on these things? My research indicates they were dealer installed on AMCs in the 70s, never sold directly to the public. They were spec'd without the freespool by AMC.

Oops my mistake. yes, it has power in and power out, but no freespool.

In 1974 we added the clutch, hence the M8274. These may have been dealer installed by AMC; I know Warn did some of that. However, they were not exclusively sold to dealers.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
From what I've read when trying to find more information about mine, the 8074 were dealer options for Jeeps back in the mid 70's. They even had a jeep decal in place of the warn sticker. Yours looks to have the original paint on it, I think the original color for the older winches were black as a few people have mentioned finding black paint under the decals. Is your brake pawl and plates painted yellow or is that rust? I am curious what the OE color scheme was, I didn't know exactly so I just painted mine red. What's funny is mine is actually stamped 8375, which I don't understand (maybe 3 way power?) but it's basically the 8074

Attachments

• Warn Jeep.jpg
    Warn Jeep.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Warn.jpg
    Warn.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
My 2 8274s might as well be 8074s. I never free spool them since it's too hard. Much easier to just power out.

I would happily use an 8074. This is such a great design-good for all time.

For whatever reason, I thought the 8074s were exclusive to Jeeps as a dealer add on. Interesting to hear from Warn that they were also sold outright.

For the OP---I would just run that winch. It will be plenty for your truck-these winches are work horses. If you're worried, carry a snatch block. You should double line most pulls anyway for safety and to decrease the electrical load on the motor of the winch.

RedF

Adventurer
From what I've read when trying to find more information about mine, the 8074 were dealer options for Jeeps back in the mid 70's. They even had a jeep decal in place of the warn sticker. Yours looks to have the original paint on it, I think the original color for the older winches were black as a few people have mentioned finding black paint under the decals. Is your brake pawl and plates painted yellow or is that rust? I am curious what the OE color scheme was, I didn't know exactly so I just painted mine red. What's funny is mine is actually stamped 8375, which I don't understand (maybe 3 way power?) but it's basically the 8074

Okay, that's super cool that yours still has the Jeep decal on it. The paint job looks great too. The decal from mine is missing and I can't even see evidence of stamping. I'll look closer at the brake next chance I get, but it looks yellow, and silver, and rust - but who knows what the original colors were; it's ~40 years old!

RedF

Adventurer
My 2 8274s might as well be 8074s. I never free spool them since it's too hard. Much easier to just power out.

I would happily use an 8074. This is such a great design-good for all time.

For whatever reason, I thought the 8074s were exclusive to Jeeps as a dealer add on. Interesting to hear from Warn that they were also sold outright.

For the OP---I would just run that winch. It will be plenty for your truck-these winches are work horses. If you're worried, carry a snatch block. You should double line most pulls anyway for safety and to decrease the electrical load on the motor of the winch.

I keep reading the same thing about freespooling vs power out. I guess it's no loss not having it.

I've heard rumors that the 8000 pound rating was more like a conservative estimate; they're punching above their weight. I've also read that the 6hp motor makes these things a beast. I know it's not officially recommended by Warn, but by many reports it's worthwhile. Being 4 decades old, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing needed a motor, but I'll open it up and see.

I really only bought it because it was so cheap I just couldn't go wrong. I already have a 9.5CTI on a multi mount waiting in the garage, and I was given a M10000 earlier this week complete with cable, a (beat up) roller fairlead, solenoid pack and remote (it works too, just likely needs to be freshened up). It was a good week!

I'm really leaning toward ditching the multi mount and installing the 9.5CTI in a proper bumper, I'm not really a fan of the multi mount systems, even though they have their merit. What I could really use is a winch bumper for my Chevy, but no luck thus far.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I have an 8074 on my '73 Fj40. I figure it's cool because it was made within a couple of years of my truck. The only thing I would recommend is to
swap out the old fashioned solenoid pack for a new generation electronic contactor. The heat and ridiculous setup of the old solenoids are aged.
Perhaps, PLEASE, if the WARN rep who answered earlier could provide a part number to swap the contactor in? Mine is in need of overhaul and that is the
one thing I haven't had time to look into. It will easily pull your truck, especially with a snatch block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles