Warn 16.5 Ti-S

Pootrospootros

Anyone have any idea on when these are going to become available again? It seems the release or back in stock date just keeps getting pushed and pushed. I assume this a chip shortage issue?

I’ve had some luck finding the 15,000 lb-er but am kinda a buy once cry once type person. I also have a 10k lb rig. Would I miss the extra 1,500lbs of pulling capacity?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Come-Up Winch has a lot of options around that weight class that are showing available right now.

I really like that a lot of their low profile offerings, even in the 15-20k range, have synthetic line options with a brake system that is not inside the drum.

Howard70

Adventurer
I have two of the Warn 16.5 Ti winches and I like them a lot. However, I also have two friends who have recently purchased Sherpa winches in that power range and are satisfied with them. I don't have any personal experience with Sherpa winches so I can't vouch for them. I will say that I have a Sherpa Big Air Compressor that is a complete piece of junk. However, I don't think the quality of the compressor (or lack there of) is related to the quality of the winches.

Howard

Pootrospootros

Thank you for the recommendations. These are both intriguing, especially the Sherpa. It’s half the price and if I read specs correctly, half the weight of most 16.5 winches. Might be worth a try and if it sucks, I’ll go to plan B. I’ve only had Warn in the past so it’s tough to jump ship.

bas157

Thank you for the recommendations. These are both intriguing, especially the Sherpa. It’s half the price and if I read specs correctly, half the weight of most 16.5 winches. Might be worth a try and if it sucks, I’ll go to plan B. I’ve only had Warn in the past so it’s tough to jump ship.
The Sherpa winch may be half the weight because its probably sized closer to the standard 8 or 9000 pound winch. If you put a 16.5ti next to a normal 8000lb winch, the Warn will dwarf the others. If you look at dimensions of the two, the Warn is much bigger, the spool is 3.5" on the 16.5 and 2.5" on the Sherpa, other dimensions are all bigger as well. The 16.5ti is just in a whole other class of winches, and also made in the US whereas Sherpa's are mostly made in China from what I've been able to determine..
What about a Superwinch, like the 18000SR. Not sure where Superwinches are made now, but they've been around much longer than Sherpa.

If you get the 15k lb one and need more oomph, you could always use a pulley.

If you were looking in the price range of the 16.5ti winch, what about a Gigglepin adventure winch (shaped like the 8274 so might not fit)? I can't find the load rating of them though, but I've heard Gigglepin are pretty sweet.

If you were near Philadelphia, I'd see if you'd be interested in buying one of my 16.5ti winches. Don't think I'll ever get one mounted on my truck since I have almost no hope of finding the winch mounting plate for my TJM bumper on my F-250. Also would be major overkill for my Jeep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles