warfield offroad tacoma platfrom

Loober

Adventurer
This is my storage and sleeping platform built by charles warfield of warfield offroad. Prior to commiting to this i looked through countless of builds on this site, borrowing the good ideas and learning from the downfalls. The biggest downside that i saw was the "home made" quality of most, that is why i knew I did not want to attempt to do this myself in my garage. I ran across Charles and checked out his website http://www.warfieldoffroad.com/. Pictures from his previous builds were the caliber i was after, but having bad prior experience with others doing work on my truck before i was hesitant, talking with him i learned that he is a professional cabinet maker and does this for a living so i was confident with his skills. I gave him a drawing with my design and dropped my truck off at his shop, which is super legit equipped with the works even a CNC machine for wood. He used high quality treated wood and southco hardware, no expense were spared. I will let the pictures speak for itself. I was very impressed with his attention to detail and overall craftsmenship, and his pricing is very resaonable even for something this custom.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1472-1.jpg
    IMG_1472-1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1470-1.jpg
    IMG_1470-1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Loober

Adventurer
some more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1478-1.jpg
    IMG_1478-1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1477-1.jpg
    IMG_1477-1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 79

cmgraves

Observer
Thanks for the post! That looks like a great setup, and a great company to work with. A quick question.

Does the platform come out? If so, how hard or how long does it take to take it out? If its permenate, where and how does it bolt to the bed.

How does that metal cover that replaces the cooler spot stay upright. I see the 2 sides have a thin metal lip, but how does it connect at the trucks bed.

I'm sure you will throughly love and use this new platform to the fullest. congrats! I am jealous!

Loober

Adventurer
The platform is removable very easily believe it or not. The front drawer is a seperate piece, the side wings are seperate, and the center section with the 3 compartments is a seperate piece. The bottom plywood is secured to the bed with a couple botls and everything is secured to it, Charles did such a good job building it to fit that everything squeezes in so well that it almost does not even need to be screwed together, so to answer your question it all comes out very easily and there are few places where you actually have to drill into the bed, and there is no play whatsoever.

About the aluminum plate that replaces the cooler spot, this is only used during camp, when the cooler is out and the hole is filled for sleeping. I put a 3/4" angle on 3 sides, 2 sides are bolted to the storage system and one side is screwed into the side of the bed, I have the aluminum plate contoured to the side of the bed so it fits in like a glove. When the cooler is in, the plate slides underneath the drawer like you see and is very secure from sliding around.

Loober

Adventurer
Not as much as youd think, i would estimate in the range of 100lbs, most of the wood used was 1/2" and 3/4" only structural areas. There is not a huge amount of bracing on the inside either, but it is plenty strong to support two people sleeping on top, no give or flex whatsoever.

My taco is supercharged with a bunch of extra weight on it already and i did not notice a chnage in power after having this done.

Loober

Adventurer
This weekend i used the setup for the first time camping, and was very pleased with the improvement over my old style.

Before i had all my stuff in about 4 bins, one of which was a 70lb bin full of spare parts, fuilds, etc that i had to get out of the bed to clear thr room for sleeping everytime. Now i have everything that i bring, nicely fitted in the various compartments, so setting up camp took all of 2 min, get out the cooler and chairs, pop a cold one and done.

Stuff that i use regularly i have in the easy to reach compartments, and the food to be used for that trip is in the slide out drawer allowing very easy and convenient access. The spare parts are in the very back compartment since i rarely have to get to them.

The side compartments are even accessible when sleeping on top b/c they are nice and skinny and off to the side, things like flashlights, etc are kept there.

The thing i love the most is how every square inch of the bed can be used to keep stuff unlike using bins where so much space is wasted.

The headroom was an issue as expected, but i just have to get used to dressing outside before getting in, but there was plenty of room to turn and get out, the added room on the sides was great to spread out and NO MORE GUTTER EFFECT sleeping in between the wheel wells.

All and all i am pleased with the its functionality making it well worth the cost

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles