WANTED; starting the search for "MY" '97-01 G320

stevegsmith

Observer
So I had an epiphany early this am while driving on car-less Sunday morning roads, enjoying many sights I don't normally see(duck swimming alone in a pond, people being tugged by their dogs, etc) when I'm driving my Allroad and maintaining a faster speed...my frustration with my 300GD isn't so much that the power-weight ratio is low(although I would like more power so that it's capable of whatever I throw at it terrain-wise) and that the rig is slow, it's that I assume that(sympathize with) drivers behind me are frustrated with me being a hazard in the roadway since I can't keep up with the speeds of modern traffic from a standstill or up hills. So, if I change my perception towards others behind me (perhaps they're not ALL frustrated? ;) ), then I can just sit back, relax, let the G go at it's pace, and enjoy the gorgeous view. :smiley_drive:

You just saved yourself $30,000. Nicely done my friend.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You just saved yourself $30,000. Nicely done my friend.

ROFLMAO!! You want your cut right? :ylsmoke:

:smiley_drive::smiley_drive::smiley_drive:

Honestly, from talking a bit with Tom Schuey, it sounds like a 5spd manual swap might be a benefit. I hope to ride in his rig someday (hopefully sooner than later) to experience it on the freeway but he says he climbs the highest WA mountain passes in 4th (or 3rd if fully loaded) without issue. I think with my 4spd I'd be in 2nd tootin' along. So perhaps a 5spd is in my future, not a W463 V8. We will see.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I feel a little better. :) Just wanted to make sure you weren't referring to resale.
Fuel economy, future expenses, upgrades, maintenance.....the economics (cost) of owning a vehicle and what you get out of it, I get that part.
Jeremy's signature quote sums it up.

Jeremy dude, I think the answer is for you to have both. Mostly because you're a baller though. :ylsmoke:

resale is just the backside of the up front cost, except the next guy in line hopefully has a used up beater... :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
There isn't anything in the way of '91-01 W463's for sale....looks like I may be headed towards an '02-03 G500 afterall. :(

zimm

Expedition Leader
There isn't anything in the way of '91-01 W463's for sale....looks like I may be headed towards an '02-03 G500 afterall. :(

i wouldnt feel so bad about that. that 2000 g500 was 32g? please. its nice, but youre starting it enter 04 territory with that. myself, i may prefer switches to screens, and shifters to buttons, but an '00 isnt exactly electronic free, it doesnt have factory shop help in the US... its OLDER, and an '04 DOES have allot of advancements.

id happily sacrifice 50k miles on the odo, for all the improvements, age and MBUSA service availability.

with more and more MBUSA's coming on the market and driving down the 'old' rigs value, did you ever think of ditching yours now for the $$$ and just riding it out until you locate a winner?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
i wouldnt feel so bad about that. that 2000 g500 was 32g? please. its nice, but youre starting it enter 04 territory with that. myself, i may prefer switches to screens, and shifters to buttons, but an '00 isnt exactly electronic free, it doesnt have factory shop help in the US... its OLDER, and an '04 DOES have allot of advancements.

id happily sacrifice 50k miles on the odo, for all the improvements, age and MBUSA service availability.

with more and more MBUSA's coming on the market and driving down the 'old' rigs value, did you ever think of ditching yours now for the $$$ and just riding it out until you locate a winner?

$33,500 actually with 156k.
That will get you(me!?) an '03 G500 with half as many miles.
I am there with you mang--switches to screens, shifters to buttons, even manual HVAC to climate control! This is why I prefer the early Europa's.

But you, and many others who have BTDT, make a good case for what you get with an MBUSA W463 (more modules yes, but able to more easily diagnose it...especially when you have access to a powerful tool like the Autologic for diagnosis..hehe!).

I should just stop my fussing about being anti-technology(modules, climate control, etc) and get an MBUSA G500 and be done with it. Go out and enjoy it, and mod it along the way like I want to.

I think the MBUSA rigs will continue to depreciate a bit, esp with gas prices increasing, but I think that clean W460's will always hold some value no? Non-rusty ones with full history are really difficult to find!
All in all, I just want mine to go to a good home. There are a few possible interested parties here in the west (OR, NV, CAN) who I've been speaking with. As long as they love it and enjoy it and take care of it as I have, that's all that matters to me.

Thanks as always for your thoughts Zimm. <beers>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles