Wanted: Sources for "Soft Shackles"

Robert Bills

Explorer
I am looking for sources for "soft shackles" to augment my recovery kit in addition to the very expensive "Bubba Rope" brand.

I have regular D-shackles as pictured below, but I have encountered circumstances where a "soft shackle" would have worked better, such as with factory tow hooks.

D-shackle:

images.ashx

Soft Shackle:

images.ashx

Can anyone provide some sources in addition to Bubba Rope?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
They are super easy to make, but if you want to buy them, I would go with Kris Casey from Krissplicing.com. Also, I will look for my links and post on how to make your own. The only tricky part is the knot on the end. I've made about a dozen of these for myself.

Last edited:

thethePete

Explorer
Honestly, just make them. It's cheap, and easy. Redden Marine sells AmSteel by the foot in any size. Buy a few feet and make a few dozen in different sizes for yourself.

http://www.reddenmarine.com/rope-cordage/multi-purpose/amsteel-blue-assorted-colors.html (They have every colour under the sun)

I have a camping hammock, and we use these in that application too. They're great because they weigh nothing and take up no space. Make a dozen, throw them in a small bag and keep them in your glovebox for that matter. I keep a couple in my jacket pocket just in case. The posts above give good outlines for making them. Keep in mind that AmSteel doesn't like to hold a knot at all, so there are very specific knots to use. Also, it doesn't like very tight bends, another reason for the specific knots. I have successfully used 3/16" in a 6" soft shackle to pull a 3000lb car up a driveway. I was amazed that it held, but it did.

Here's some relevent info for making these safely:

(Taken from Hammockforums.net)

I pulled a few loop shackles in an MTS machine to get their failure load. I tested one specimen made from 3mm Lash-It and it failed at about 2,200 lbf. The remaining samples were made from 7/64" Amsteel blue. Failure loads for three samples with diamond knots were consistently around 2,800 lbf. All samples failed at the knot and the spliced loop remained intact. The samples were intentionally made such that they had different sized loops, i.e., the legs of the shackles were made different lengths. The very tight loop showed substantially more damage than the other two, but the knot remained the weak point.

I also tested the "cinch wind" method suggested by lonetracker. While I personally find it less convenient than the spliced loop, the shackle also held to about 2,800 lbf before failure at the knot.

The Ashley stopper knot and the overhand knot failed at between 600 and 700 lbf. The tail was pulled through the knot and the shackles were perfectly intact with no damage after the test, but no longer had the stopper knot in them.

Summary:
- Use a diamond knot for loop shackles made from Amsteel.
- It is not critical to have the legs of the shackle perfectly balanced.
- The loop shackles have a failure load around 175% of the line's rating (190% for the 3mm Lash-It).
- The Ashley stopper knot and the overhand knot are not suitable for this application.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Here is a great video. It is the one I used before animated knots had theirs.

The trickiest part will be figuring out exactly how much line you need. Especially for the knot portion. It takes more than you think to tie that Diamond knot.

thethePete

Explorer
IIRC on my 3/16th line, I was accounting for somewhere in the area of 2-3" of cordage for the knot, and I left very little tail after the knot. Probably use a bit more on thicker line. Honestly, after looking at some of the prices and knowing how much it costs per foot, even with how much I value my time, I'd be hard pressed to buy these and not just make them from lengths of line. Keep in mind though, it does take about 10 minutes or so to make one once you get the knot figured out. Figure 15 min or so for the first few; your time may be worth more to you than that. YMMV.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Thanks for all the responses to my original post. As much as I would like to save a dollar or two by making my own, I am no rigging expert and would be more comfortable with a commercially made soft shackle keeping my rig from sliding into a ravine.

Now I just need to decide which vendor to patronize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles