Wanted: Flatbed Camper

JS1

Hello everyone - Just wanted to first say I really appreciate this forum. Lots of interesting and informative reading since I first found it a few months back.

I am a travel nurse who recently pulled the trigger on selling my house. My plan was to then buy something to live in full time. I had thought of doing my own conversion, but have since decided against it. After much thought, I decided my best option would be a flatbed camper. I like the idea of being able to go just about anywhere. The ability to park anywhere in a city to sleep is a must as well (I work night shift and sleep during the day - parking on the street to do so is perfectly legal). I take the summers off and travel. I love the mountains and hiking. Being able to disperse camp in remote locations is extremely appealing. I have been using my 1999 Suburban (affectionately known as "Hotel Burban") to do this over the past 2 years. Besides being 2wd, the limitations of this vehicle mean it is time to upgrade. Now that I have committed to travel nursing and am now homeless, my search has been intense over the past month.

Despite searching daily on sites like this one, multiple nationwide RV sites, Craigslist, and have even desperately taken to combing through RV dealer sites around the country, I have been unable to find even one flatbed camper in my price range. I cannot spend over 100k on a camper. I love the fiberglass shells, such as the ones Bahn produces, and even talked to them back when I was looking into building my own, but $45k for just the shell and maybe a door and some windows was too high of a starting point for me. I do think it is the way to go if you can afford it though.

Anyway, I would love to find a used camper in the 30-40k range. That way I could buy whatever truck and flatbed I want. More than likely, I would have to buy the truck and camper together. The most I could spend is around 65k total. At this point, I would be lucky as hell to find one. It is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It is clear that very few have even been produced and the people that own them keep them. I don't understand why there are a million slide-in truck campers and so few flatbed campers. The advantages seem pretty damn obvious to me. Having said that, my frustration with my desperate search has me at the point where I am now accepting the reality that I may have to buy a slide-in camper. If I end up going that route, I am going to go cheap used because its simply not what I really want. I drove down to South Carolina to look at the 2008 Tiger for sale. I might put an offer in, but they simply have that thing overpriced IMHO. Plus, there is no detaching that camper from the truck. I want the versatility. The other option would be to buy a new flatbed camper, but by the time you get the options you want it is likely well over 50k. And I don't want to wait months to get one, I want to hit the road YESTERDAY. The mountains are calling and I must go. I like the Hallmark Hero, but then saw they no longer produce them (of course). Finding a used one?

Well, that is why I am posting here. Advice?

Sorry for being so long-winded, just needed to vent. I appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Jeff

ScottPC

Hallmark makes a great product, something that will last a long time and is well thought out. I have a 2019 Milner and it's been terrific. They do make a few slide ins models that have Shower Options. They are "nearly" four season campers. I'm been comfortable down to the teens and am sure it can handle lower temps as well. The roof and lifting mechanism are strong and would support an AC if that were desired. Nimbl (formally XP Camper) makes a very highend true four season international travel ready flatbed that's worth checking out if nothing else to get a sense of what a well designed camper really looks like. They may have leads on some used ones too. Bison is new company with some nice components that is making a shell, but is unproven to date. Like the Nimbl, the EarthCruiser makes a very highend pickup truck based unit that I believe is getting some new design features. It differs from the Nimble in that it has a pass through but does not have a cab over bed. I think if you look at the highest quality ones, figure out the features that you love and the ones you can do without you're then in a good position to pick one that you'll be happy with for years to come. Goodluck!

Reactions: JS1

JS1

Quick correction: Northstar made the American Hero, not Hallmark. All these companies and camper models are blending together in my brain. I have looked at the Hallmark trailers online and I like the solid fiberglass shell and roof. Less to worry about over the life of the camper. I am happy to hear from someone that owns a Hallmark. My biggest concern with the popups is just how warm they can reasonably and economically be kept. I spent the last two winters in Iowa and Wisconsin. The coldest nights were below zero. I won't lie - It was pretty damn cold in hotel burban those nights. I do have a really good sleeping bag rated down to zero and a couple blankets that keep me warm. Sleeping isn't the problem; getting up and getting dressed is where it is a tad bit uncomfortable. So I don't need something that can be kept at 75 degrees; anything above freezing would feel like the Bahamas to me. The biggest downside to the popups for me is the lack of closet space. Living in it full time, I would probably need to hang work clothes in the back of the truck cab somehow. Thanks for the reply.

Here on the board for sale. https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...r-wheel-camper-flatbed-build-for-sale.215382/
Rebuilt four wheel camper turned into a flatbed camper by the Bison Folks. Looks well built and very nice. I believe Drew at Bison will also build you the flatbed for the truck too. No affiliation, but will say if your into this kind of thing they have some nice videos showing the construction.

Overlandex is making one too. $60K for the flatbed and flatbed camper. Its my understanding you have to purchase both from them. https://overlandex.com/pop-up-truck-campers

Kess

I feel your pain. I have been looking for something similar but have a bit of a higher budget. Of course not opposed to paying less if possible. I have been looking at the Tigers but I want one that will work in the winter and in that case you need a newer one with the winter package (more/some insulation - dual pane windows). Owners of older Tigers have commented on the fact that they are not true 4-season rigs. The used rigs on the Tiger site seem priced too high of course you can always make an offer.

I have also been looking at XP but the price for used ones just gets higher as the newer version has increased in price driving used prices up. I have also searched for the Hero but could never find any new or used for sale. I have been in communication with the guys at Port-Lite in Maine. (https://www.port-lite.com). They have a website and it looks like one proof-of-concept model completed. Most of the website has nice photo renders but not production units. They told me that they are planning to start production and have campers in the late summer or early fall. I am in Vermont so was thinking I could go have a look once they produce a few. Pricing starts at $65K.

The hunt continues!

1000arms

... I don't understand why there are a million slide-in truck campers and so few flatbed campers. ...
The slide-in campers are designed to make use of the existing pickup truck bed. Things are changing, a number of companies do make flatbed campers now, but there aren't many used ones in the US, yet.

Have you considered Alaskan Camper? Pop-up hard-sided in cabover and non-cabover. They make flatbed campers too.

See: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/first-alaskan-flat-bed-side-door-entry-a-dream.188289/
https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/alaskan-8-5-flatbed-cabover/
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/2018-alaskan-flatbed-side-entry-camper/
https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/alaskan-campers-debuts-modular-flatbed-solution/

That being said (well, written), a new F350XL 4x4 regular-cab longbed pickup truck, with a locking rear end, 18"rims with 275/70R18 AT tires, FX4 package, plow-camper package, dual alternators and batteries, will have a MSRP of about $45,000 USD (payload of about 4900 pounds). Order with the bed, then replace it with a Duramag Aluminum Flatbed for about $3,000 (not installed), and sell the Ford bed. That leaves $17K for a used, or possibly new, camper (not counting any money from selling the Ford bed).

You could probably build yourself a very nice camper box for $17K. :)

Or, put a large down payment on the truck, finance the rest, and have $40K to spend on the camper.

Alaskan Camper prices (add $1,600 for the flatbed option) at http://alaskancampers.com/alaskan-campers-features-pricing/

Ninelitetrip

Have a look also at Overland Explorer Vehicles in Alberta, CA. They make two sizes of the slide in pop - up, and a flatbed model. The price of the flatbed model includes the tray for your truck.

You can read through this build thread from the owner of the company to get an idea of what OEV is capable of building.

ScottPC

StephenN, here is the site for Hallmark: http://www.hallmarkrv.com I don't think they make trailers...I believe that is Haulmark :) In my Hallmark Milner, the coldest I was in was 12ºF in RMNP and stayed toasty. I have a ducted Truma Combi heater / hotwater heater which is very efficient and circulates heated air throughout. The soft portion of the popup is insulated, weather proof and pliable. It was not the coldest part. The single pane windows are the coldest part and they are not too bad..they have insulated covers for them. The construction is a fiberglass composite much like the way a boat is made, giving it strength and does not transfer cold the way aluminum construction can. It can be used all four season but for sustained cold season use, there are some areas where some extra insulation helps. On other trips, I've been in high winds and the softsides are taut and don't make flapping noises like in tent. I like popups over hardsides as it's a lower profile when driving in windy areas (I live in the west and this is a consideration), a little better gas mileage, better clearance under branches (and drive throughs..haha), more natural light through the softtop windows (Hallmark has them on all sides). If you wanted to ship internationally, it will fit in a shipping container. Here are some more pictures of mine: https://www.surfandsnowcountryimage...ear/Hallmark-Milner-fldr/Hallmark-Milner-page For those who favor hardside campers, the big advantage is that you don't have to raise and lower the roof when you want to climb in bed. And, in some campgrounds like Glacier and Lake Louise, if you have soft sides you need to stay in a designated area with tents due to bear safety. As an fyi, if you had to use/sleep in Hallmark with the top down, you can convert the dinette...so it's possible. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles