Want to switch to an oversized wool blanket for my pop-up camper. Suggestions?

knoxswift

I'm late to the discussion but I use/keep 3 wool blankets in my FWC. 2 of Mine were purchased in UT on an Indian Reservation the 3rd is a Pendleton...honestly the blankets from the reservation are holding up much better. Though the colors ran a bit when washed...

LewisMad

I don't recommend switching to an oversized wool blanket for your pop-up camper. Maybe it is warmer but you need to understand that it is not comfortable to sleep in blankets made out of wool. When I go camping I use a traditional weighted blanket. I think it is the best solution and it is a lot more comfortable than a blanket made out of wool. I also use blankets at home as decorations on my bed. I like sitting in my living room, watching a TV series, under a cloth while outside it is raining. That is why autumn is my favorite period of the year.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'm looking to buy new bedding for Tacoma with a pop-up Four Wheel Camper. I prefer sheets and blankets over sleeping bags for several reasons. I mostly camp above freezing temps and my camper has a heater as well as the Thermal pack option which helps with insulation. But recently on a trip my battery completely died. Thankfully the temps were very mild but I would like to have a nice warm blanket to have on hand that I can use every trip, other than my current down.

A high quality wool blanket really appeals to me although I admittedly have no experience with them. I found out about Woolrich because they teamed up with FWC and made a custom version of their Rough Rider blanket that fit the size of the camper bed (approx. 70"x72"). Unfortunately Woolrich doesn't sell those blankets separately. Their Sherpa lined blanket is what I'd get but it's measurements are 50"x 60". Probably plenty for just me but a little small for 2 people. Should I go with something like a 90"x 90" Pendleton? The biggest down side I'm seeing is that they seem to be dry clean only. Which for a camping blanket could be a pretty big down side.

Are there quality oversized lined options I'm not aware of yet? I'm probably overthinking this but that's half the fun. TIA
Your camper battery died? Do you charge of the alternator?

Grassland

Thanks to Covid delays we probably won't see our wool blankets until March. I'll have to squeeze in a few spring camps without the hot tent and try one out.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I don't recommend switching to an oversized wool blanket for your pop-up camper. Maybe it is warmer but you need to understand that it is not comfortable to sleep in blankets made out of wool. When I go camping I use a traditional weighted blanket. I think it is the best solution and it is a lot more comfortable than a blanket made out of wool. I also use blankets at home as decorations on my bed. I like sitting in my living room, watching a TV series, under a cloth while outside it is raining. That is why autumn is my favorite period of the year.
Why would sleeping under a wool blanket separated by a sheet be uncomfortable?

dms1

Explorer
I agree, also some newer and older wool blankets are very comfortable to touch, unlike surplus wool blankets. My favorite wool blanket I bought on ebay, If I remember right they listed it was made in the 50s.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense unless you're allergic to wool or you have a cheap, rough blanket. I've got a couple of surplus blankets, some old USGI OD green ones and my favorites, the older Italian Officer's blankets that came into the country in the early 2000s. Wash in Woolite or other wool wash then soak in a lanolin based conditioner and they'll soften up. I could care less about the weight in my truck, it's a comfort item that works great.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I assume the military blankets being referenced here are better than the ones I saw in army basic training. The thing was rough but the biggest problem was it was tiny. I’m 5’10” and it seemed like you’d have to be sub 5’ in order to stretch out under one. Those Ft. Leonard Wood barracks are frigid in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online