Want to switch to an oversized wool blanket for my pop-up camper. Suggestions?

AzDrew

I'm looking to buy new bedding for Tacoma with a pop-up Four Wheel Camper. I prefer sheets and blankets over sleeping bags for several reasons. I mostly camp above freezing temps and my camper has a heater as well as the Thermal pack option which helps with insulation. But recently on a trip my battery completely died. Thankfully the temps were very mild but I would like to have a nice warm blanket to have on hand that I can use every trip, other than my current down.

A high quality wool blanket really appeals to me although I admittedly have no experience with them. I found out about Woolrich because they teamed up with FWC and made a custom version of their Rough Rider blanket that fit the size of the camper bed (approx. 70"x72"). Unfortunately Woolrich doesn't sell those blankets separately. Their Sherpa lined blanket is what I'd get but it's measurements are 50"x 60". Probably plenty for just me but a little small for 2 people. Should I go with something like a 90"x 90" Pendleton? The biggest down side I'm seeing is that they seem to be dry clean only. Which for a camping blanket could be a pretty big down side.

Are there quality oversized lined options I'm not aware of yet? I'm probably overthinking this but that's half the fun. TIA

AzDrew

Lucky us living in Pendleton, can just go to one of their outlet stores. They sell blanket cloth off the roll.
Want a blanket 42.25’ long ? They will unroll, cut and sell it to you.
They also sell colour coordinated cloth edge binding strips too.
Dunno if they have online sales for the out of towners...

That’s sure would be nice!

what about the adventure tool company one? its 5.5ftx7 ft. its not sherpa lined or anything though, just a tough ole wool blanket

https://adventuretoolcompany.com/product/atc-wool-blanket-large

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up! I see they also have a 50/50 blend. Might just pick up one of each.

SheepnJeep

You can hand wash most wool blankets in wool wash no problem. I have tons of wool blankets and haven't had a problem carefully washing them.

Fairbault woolen mills also makes a nice wool blanket.

I personally like them in warmer temps as they don't get all clammy feeling in humid conditions. Pretty much the exact reasons you describe.

jgaz

Adventurer
X2 on the Adventure Tool blanket. I love mine!
I’ve used the heck out of it the last three years.

Great “mom and pop” company and the way it’s packed when shipped to you is a nice touch

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
All the wool blankets I have at the moment are military surplus. One is actually East German, it's got NVA in a black stripe across it. This is actually a really nice blanket, although a bit small.

CSG

Explorer
Can I ask why not continue to use a down comforter or unzipped rectangular down bag? Wool is heavy, can be scratchy and not all that versatile (for sleeping needs) IMO. At this time of year, Costco is selling its lightweight $20 down throws which are just that, not a full blanket or comforter but they're terrific in warmer weather. I have a few options I use in my camping van but a wool blanket wouldn't be among them.

dms1

Explorer
I have several Wool Blankets that I bought used off of EBay. The blankets that are older (from the 50s-60s) seem to be the warmest to me.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I currently have 2 green wool Army blankets, one from when I was in and another I bought since, wash them in the washing machine on cold/gentle cycle without issue. Size might be a bit small for 2 people though.

yoggie

I have heard heated mattress pads are really nice, but I have not tried one myself. Downside is it takes power (less than a heater though) and finding the right size might be a challenge.

Electrowarmth Twin

AzDrew

Thanks for all thr input everyone. I ended up making the mistake of stopping by rei and walking out with a Pendleton blanket. Used it at 8800’ this week and was very pleased.

3RMzdxE.jpg

bunger

Adventurer
Can I ask why not continue to use a down comforter or unzipped rectangular down bag? Wool is heavy.......

The weight of a wool blanket is exactly why I like it. It feels good to me to have some weight to my covers. Down or other light weight options just don't "feel" warm to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior