Want to block off egr on 2005 Fuso ?

guesscrazy

I have a 2005 and a 2007 fe145. I want to block of the egr and remove the egr coolers. These vehicles are used off road only and there is no inspection. Anyone done this and what tips or problems can you share. Anyone have a line on erg block off plates?

javajoe79

Fabricator
Should be easy. I don't know about the computers in those trucks but it might cause it to set a code. Block off plates are simple to fab. If you need some made I can do that for you if they aren't available already.

guesscrazy

What model engine? Is it a 4M50?

Should be easy. I don't know about the computers in those trucks but it might cause it to set a code. Block off plates are simple to fab. If you need some made I can do that for you if they aren't available already.
I was thinking i could get 1/16 metal and just block it off at the exhaust manifold and reinstall the crossover. Would that work?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I was thinking i could get 1/16 metal and just block it off at the exhaust manifold and reinstall the crossover. Would that work?
Yes, it would probably work, but I don't know for how long.
Remember... it gets pretty hot in that area, so something thin will probably not last, and you won't be able to see if it has failed, unless you remove the crossover pipe to inspect it.

The plate in my truck is 3mm (1/8") stainless and I would consider that to be the minimum thickness for the task.

pugslyyy was kind enough to post his CAD drawings of the blanking plates which are virtually the same as the ones I drew up (mine are metric), so making the plate/s the right size is very simple.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I did this a couple years ago on my 05 fuso. You can't simply make plates and reinstall the crossover tube because of the angles the extra thickness of the plates make it so the tube won't fit. I pulled the entire assembly including the heat exchanger off the side of the engine along with the crossover tube then I used the flanges of the parts that I removed as a template to cut stainless parts 1/8 inch thick reused the gaskets and simply bolted the plates back up again. I got an engine light immediately so I took the electronic valve off the assembly and plugged it back in. Now I have it zip tied to the side of the engine and I no longer have an engine light on. Engine seems to have been running better ever since. Another thing that I did and you might want to consider is I rerouted the engine breather tube from in front of the turbo intake. No point in that stuff going through your turbo.20180904_162322.jpg

Last edited:

billiebob

I was once a fan of going old school and getting rid of all the pollution garbage, but with time I have realized we are the ones adding fuel to the fossil fuel debate. Inspections or not for the past 50 years emissions have mattered, today emissions are incredibly political, emotional, cultural, social..... the world is watching and reacting to those trying to bypass the best efforts of our government legislation. All sides, every party regardless of the optics backs the emissions regulations passed by the previous administration.Bypassing emissions components just guarantees your inspection free state will soon be an inspections mandatory state. These are some of the reasons Miltary vehicles are only allowed Historic Vehicle Registration in many states. Military vehicles have never had to comply with safety or emissions regulations. Read between the lines.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I was once a fan of going old school and getting rid of all the pollution garbage
Normally I would agree, but not in the case of an EGR.
As much as it may reduce the NOX levels, an EGR can totally clog up your intake manifold, make you use more fuel and reduce it's lifespan, as well as other things. In my opinion, an EGR has far more negatives than it has positives.
I have said it before and I will say it again... the engineer/s who designed the EGR system should have been slapped by the side of the head!

You can't simply make plates and reinstall the crossover tube because of the angles the extra thickness of the plates make it so the tube won't fit.
You weren't trying hard enough. ;)
My plate is 3mm thick and is fitted between the manifold and the cross-over pipe. That is the only place I have blocked the EGR system.
From memory, I did not use the OEM gasket; just some hi temp RTV sealant. Been that way for over 5 years now and I don't have any leaks, nor have I had any engine codes.
Removing the whole ERG system was not really an option for me, as it would have drawn too much attention at registration time.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Yes, it would probably work, but I don't know for how long.
Remember... it gets pretty hot in that area, so something thin will probably not last, and you won't be able to see if it has failed, unless you remove the crossover pipe to inspect it.

The plate in my truck is 3mm (1/8") stainless and I would consider that to be the minimum thickness for the task.

pugslyyy was kind enough to post his CAD drawings of the blanking plates which are virtually the same as the ones I drew up (mine are metric), so making the plate/s the right size is very simple.
agreed on material thickness

javajoe79

Fabricator
Normally I would agree, but not in the case of an EGR.
As much as it may reduce the NOX levels, an EGR can totally clog up your intake manifold, make you use more fuel and reduce it's lifespan, as well as other things. In my opinion, an EGR has far more negatives than it has positives.
I have said it before and I will say it again... the engineer/s who designed the EGR system should have been slapped by the side of the head!

You weren't trying hard enough. ;)
My plate is 3mm thick and is fitted between the manifold and the cross-over pipe. That is the only place I have blocked the EGR system.
From memory, I did not use the OEM gasket; just some hi temp RTV sealant. Been that way for over 5 years now and I don't have any leaks, nor have I had any engine codes.
Removing the whole ERG system was not really an option for me, as it would have drawn too much attention at registration time.
Agreed again. EGR works for what it was intended to do but it cause long term issues. Most new stuff does not use EGR, gas anyway

westyss

Explorer
I too have been looking at deleting the EGR as my crossover pipe has developed a leak, has anyone seen this video?

He seems to have found a way to cancel the code? My Russian translating skills are off.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Somebody's daughter had an 85 Mercedes 300SD with the 617 diesel and an EGR valve. In CO the emissions test is not a chemical analysis but an opacity test for blackness of smoke. The vehicle would fail the opacity test but this somebody discovered that if he put a BB in the vacuum tube which controlled the operation of the EGR, it would pass the opacity test with flying colors. It did result in the moral/social/ecological dilemma of whether to leave the BB in place permanently. The tester who saw it fail, then pass a few hours later, thought this somebody was a diesel magician. Magicians keep their secrets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles