Want the Hot New Ranger Raptor w/ a V-8? Looks Like You’re Gonna Have to Move to Australia Then!

nickw

Adventurer
Yeah, well they already kinda have built a Ranger Raptor.....the Velociraptor.
For only about $20 over the stock FX pkg. price, you get a 13.9 quarter mile and sub 5 second 0-60.

Here’s a noisy comparison of it to the full-size Raptor:

And another vid:
This is why it's hard for me to believe ford would put any engine into the Ranger other than the 2.3 or long shot 2.7 when they can get these kind of numbers out of the 2.3. The Focus RS has the 350 tuned version....so Ford can drop that tune into the current 2.3, at which point, it will be every bit as fast as the F150 Raptor. I can't see ford wanting much more performance than that....it's a truck after-all, where does it stop?

D

Deleted member 9101

This is why it's hard for me to believe ford would put any engine into the Ranger other than the 2.3 or long shot 2.7 when they can get these kind of numbers out of the 2.3. The Focus RS has the 350 tuned version....so Ford can drop that tune into the current 2.3, at which point, it will be every bit as fast as the F150 Raptor. I can't see ford wanting much more performance than that....it's a truck after-all, where does it stop?

The Mustang crowd has the little four banger at 500rwhp on pump gas with not a lot of work. It can quickly become a little monster.

D

Deleted member 9101

Don't see what all the fuss is about, the new ranger is as big as an early 90s F150, it should be able to swallow a 5.0.

Customers are already spending the money on an overpriced factory offroad special. Why can't they swap a V8 into a truck that should already have a V8 option?

Here is my thoughts...the new 7.3 is narrower than the current 5.0. It might actually be easier to drop in the new "big block" and run with it vs. a 5.0...lol.

As for the 5.0 in the new Ranger, the problem isn't making it fit. The problem is maintaining crumple zones and emissions systems while keeping it relatively easy to work on and have an efficient cooling system. It's probably the same list of reasons the Wrangler doesn't come with a V8 from the factory.

85_Ranger4x4

Here is my thoughts...the new 7.3 is narrower than the current 5.0. It might actually be easier to drop in the new "big block" and run with it vs. a 5.0...lol.

As for the 5.0 in the new Ranger, the problem isn't making it fit. The problem is maintaining crumple zones and emissions systems while keeping it relatively easy to work on and have an efficient cooling system. It's probably the same list of reasons a lot of things don't come with a V8 from the factory.

Fixed it for you.

And rumor has it since the global T6 truck has only ever had inlines the structure isn't wide enough to fit a V engine let alone one as massive as a Coyote. Also rumor (I know stacking rumors on rumors) that the Bronco is riding on the next gen Ranger chassis which is designed for a V engine which is supported by the Bronco racing with a 2.7 Ecoboost.

D

Deleted member 9101

Fixed it for you.

And rumor has it since the global T6 truck has only ever had inlines the structure isn't wide enough to fit a V engine let alone one as massive as a Coyote. Also rumor (I know stacking rumors on rumors) that the Bronco is riding on the next gen Ranger chassis which is designed for a V engine which is supported by the Bronco racing with a 2.7 Ecoboost.
A 2.7 in something that light will be awesome! Even stock it will be formidable... Modified and it will be nuts!

nickw

Adventurer
The little 2.3EB already owns the segment...
This is where I'm at (until Ford proves us wrong) the 2.3EB has so much get up and go stock, I can't see they moving to a different architecture rather than lightly tuning the current 2.3. Not sure what the 2.7 would offer, the platform already tows more than it's competitors which is largely based on things besides power output. Also if you look at most performance "packages" like the Raptor over the F150, they generally use the same architecture, e.g., 3.5EB on both models, just with some minor tweaks. Makes sense considering the Raptor is a niche rig and I'm guessing Ford doesn't want to additional supply chain and engineering costs associate with a different power train on a low volume rig....but ****** do I know.

The midsize trucks are plenty capable as is and as much talk as there is about MPG, the 2.3 makes the most sense.

D

Deleted member 9101

....and they tend to eject the rotating assembly shortly after that mark.

Meh...that can easily be overcome. But honestly... 500 HP at the rear wheels out of a 2.3L four banger, on pump gas, should be enough for most people...haha.

D

Deleted member 9101

Honestly if I were in the market for a new sports car that would probably be my choice... however with C5 Corvettes floating around 10K for average examples....

Old Vetts are great!! Most are not expensive, they are typically in good shape, and there no shortage of upgrades available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles